“Spectacular views”
Review of Hilton Windhoek

Hilton Windhoek
Ranked #1 of 17 Hotels in Windhoek
Reviewed October 9, 2012

This new hotel right in the centre of Windhoek, has the most spectacular views around the surrounding mountains . Also on the rooftop is a bar and swimming pool, where you can relax when the weather is suitable. Being a brand new hotel everything is new.. the rooms and facilities, and the business people of Windhoek seem to use it.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled solo
RomanKopacek, General Manager at Hilton Windhoek, responded to this reviewResponded October 28, 2012

Dear 6Colin,

Thank you very much for your kind comments and indeed you can enjoy the best views from our hotel, looking forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

With kind regards.
Yours sincerely,

Roman

Write a ReviewReviews (1,429)

Reviewed October 8, 2012

I returned to this hotel after having read the GM's email to me, I also took him up on his offer to show me the changes that has been "supposedly" brought about. To my surprise, I was told by the duty manager, Sandra, that he was not in town.
It did not stop here, on Saturday afternoon my wife and I returned from shopping to find our room had not been made. We were asked to wait in the Ekipa bar on the mezzanine floor for 20 minutes where I had a beer and my wife a soft drink charged to our room. The 20 minutes turned into 30 and I started getting impatient. When my wait hit 45 minutes I walked out of the bar and went to my room thinking if the chamber-maid was still busy cleaning I would ask her to leave the room immediately.
Upon checkout on the Monday, I noticed that we had been charged for breakfast for three mornings which we never had. I promptly refused to pay for this, the clerk would not budge and I called the duty manager and viola! Sandra is there again. She advised me that breakfast was included on our "executive" room and I told that I was sorry but I did not know and that I had not been informed at checkin. I also realised that I had spent a couple of hundred N$'s on my Friday evening drinks instead of using the free drinks facility in Club Lounge.
Because I refused to sign the first credit card slip they had to pass a credit on my card for the difference of the breakfast we did not have.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
Megan Candice D, PA to the General Manager at Hilton Windhoek, responded to this reviewResponded June 9, 2016

Reviewed September 28, 2012

The Hilton Windhoek is a reasonably new hotel with modern well-equipped rooms and quality facilities. The staff are friendly and helpful although front desk service can be slow. Rooftop bar and pool area are great in the evening with views across the city.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business

Reviewed September 10, 2012

Windhoek Hilton is centrally located next to the Kalahari Sands hotel (have not stayed there) and has an amazing view of the downtown and the mountains surounding the city. The rooms are well furnished and brand new. The rooftop swimming pool is rather small and thin but has a sky bar facing the pool and with a view of the city. Many seem to enjoy the rooftop Sky bar. The restaurant is excellent. If you stay on a room only basis, complementary breakfast is offered. Breakfast is wide and varied including crusty croissants, warm food and meat. A good selection of fresh fruit juices and an excellent array of fine teas. We were with children and received an adjoining room with twin beds free of charge. Staff are happy to see the small children, even when they make a bit of noise in the restaurant. It is a childfriendly country. There is free parking. The only downside is the room service. It is extremely slow and the staff are not on a five star level with the knowledge of food. The chef prepares excellent food but the waitress or the cook on duty who brings it can mix it up. When I ordered "pasta with pesto" they managed to put vegetables with the pesto and the on top of it, brought "'kech up" just incase I find it too "boring". The waitress actually looked pitiful at me who would eat a green sauce. But the staff are extremely nice and gave me a 50 % discount to apologise for mixing up the order. In general it was a great stay and I would complain of nothing.

Room Tip: higher floors have better views.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family

Reviewed September 7, 2012

Stayed five nights mid-August, on a business trip to Windhoek. Was recommended by local contacts. New and modern building right in the heart of the city - within walking distance of all business appointments made. Friendly and pleasant staff at reception desk upon arrival. Was given complimentary Wifi for the duration of the stay - would otherwise be relatively expensive. Nice room with all the amenities one can expect. Great breakfast spread and again friendly staff. Haven't used the restaurant for lunch or dinner, but had the occasional beer and/or a snack in the late afternoon in the rooftop bar - very nice views from there.
There was no information in the room about hotel services and facilities, as one would expect.
If I had to return to Windhoek, I would choose this hotel again.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business

Reviewed September 3, 2012

You cannot complain about the facilities at this hotel. Everything is still new and looks good. What absolutely brings this hotel down is the service standards. The rooftop pool bar, again beautiful with an amazing view of the city, was a complete disappointment when it came to try to get a drink or something to eat. After 20 minutes of looking for staff, we went down to the restaurants on the mezzanine level. While there was 1 waiter, the service was super slow. What we ordered was substituted with different ingredients without consulting us, wraps not toasted, burgers completely overdone and when we pointed this out there was complete indifference from the waiter. We made a point of seeking out the chef and manager to complain about not only the service but the quality of the food. The manager ended up giving us our full lunch and drinks on the house because of the unacceptable experience. I will stay here again but make sure I have my meals elsewhere!

Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends

Reviewed September 3, 2012

How on earth this hotel can have a 5 star rating is beyond me.

Admittedly I have never stayed at the hotel, but I have attended functions and spoken with several other people who attended similar functions independently of me. The consensus: Service, food and organisation is mediocre at best. The prices for drinks are ridiculously inflated, and only a few years after completion the hotel is already showing signs of wear & tear.

Then there is the parking area. Yes, I know it doesn’t actually belong to the Hilton group, but seriously?! With the main entrances adjacent to the parking lot, the implication is most definitely that it should be associated with the hotel. I am ashamed every time I have to use that parking lot. What will foreigners think of us Namibians when they see the potholes, the broken terrain, the mess?

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business