“AMAZING!!”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Windhoek
N/a'an ku se Lodge and Wildlife Sanctuary
Australian Capital Territory, Australia
“AMAZING!!”
Reviewed April 28, 2012

My husband and myself stayed for 2weeks. It was the most amazing thing we have ever done, we looked after all sorts of animals including bottle feeding a baby zedbra. Would recommend this to everybody!! defently a must do!! Go with friends, partner, family or solo!! everyone was so friendly

• Stayed March 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank Rachel P

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (44)
South Africa
Reviewed April 22, 2012

I know this isn't a blogging page nor is it a platform for commenting on reviews of other travellers, but I have been a N/a'an ku se Fan for many years and therefor I see it as my duty to comment on the bad reviews they have had the past times.

Its so sad to see that travellers to this wonderful place, actually miss the whole point... I wonder if they realised that probably none of the San Bushmen employed on this project, have completed their school years, not even to talk of the possibility that any of them actually did any tertiary education...so to go back home and write reviews like the past 2 (German reviews...), that I think is such bad taste. I bet my last salary cheque that these guests actually not complain to the Management whilst they were there, and have most probably smiled in their faces, to then go back home and write those horrible reviews....

I mean, really, to complain about jam that is served in a jar... I'm a diabetic and think that is one of the best things of Naankuse - nothing is a secret, all their work and projects are above board, even the ingredients on the jam-jar! So now i can eat happily away as i know what is inside the jar! and so i can carry on and on and on.... but I won't bore you with all my praises, i just want to say, Naankuse, keep on doing what you do, I think you guys are amazing and you do fab jobs! well done for trying to make a difference in the world and a difference to the San people's lives.

Ignore the bad reviews, that will always be there. Keep your heads up, and look forward!

i will always go back for the peace, the quiet, the great views, the good food, the friendly faces, to me it feels like going home. I love Naankuse!

• Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
6 Thank Sylv345
Bolton, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 2, 2012

I spent far too short a time at Naankuse early in 2011. This included time at the sanctuary, and at the Lodge.

Taking them one at a time:
The sanctuary is fantastic - Not only does it offer the opportunity to spend time with big cats - including time without barriers (stroking a cheetah is a totally amazing experience). You also get a chance to take caracles and baboons for walks, generally help on the farm, meet people from all over the world and, creating lasting friendships.

While I was there there were people from the UK, US, Netherlands, Germany, Spain, New Zealand, France and Switzerland. The age range was from 18 to 60 and everyone mucked in together helping each other and the animals. I'm still in touch with lots of the people I met there.

The on site school also helps you to understand what the project is all about.
I think the concept of both people and animal based charity is fairly unique. Working with endangered species is not uncommon, but combining that with medical and educational help for the San Bushmen - a severely disadvantaged group - must be unique. Seeing the children playing, and spending time with them, really balances the experience. Yes it's great stroking and feeding cheetahs, painting hen houses and constructing play equipment for baboons, but hearing the kids play and learn puts a human face on the experience that brings home what Naankuse is all about. A unique mixture where locals are supported with work and medical care, their children are educated AND animals are rescued, cared for,, receive veterinary interventions, and - in a lot of cases - released back into the wild, away from people where they can be safe, studied and the knowledge used to help more animals in the future.

As well as the big cats and baboons the sanctuary also has a high proportion of Namibia's wild dog population. This rare species is truly fascinating, and the opportunity to see them, incredibly rare.

The accommodation is basic, the showers much better than I expected, the food is simple, but plentiful and the morning muffin break inspired. Cookie is a miracle worker! The staff are really friendly and knowledgeable, and lots of fun.

The Lodge:
The Lodge is the most beautiful, luxurious place I have ever stayed. The accommodation is truly special. comfortable beds, fabulous views, sunken baths, and the most peaceful place I have ever been. The food is exceptionally good quality and the range of wines great. Staff at the Lodge are attentive and know how to look after their guests. I cannot recommend it highly enough.

Namibia is the most beautiful country I have ever been to and Naankuse a very special place.
Did I mention how amazing it is to awake to the sound of lions roaring (knowing they are safely in their enclosure) no ....... well it's unbelievably perfect.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled solo
4 Thank Anne10max
Mijdrecht, The Netherlands
Reviewed March 2, 2012

Naankuse is a really nice place to end your holiday in Namibia as we did. They let us stay until late in the afternoon, untill we had to leave to the airport. The houses in the lodge are very nice and with amazing views. The food was very good, alldo a little bit too expensive.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank HarmenenLisa
Reviewed February 28, 2012

I came to Naankuse as à animal lover but without great knowlege of animals And there behavior. And I got to so much things people dream to do , like walking with Leopard, cheeta's And baboons but Also getting the chance of creating your own oppertunity"s by working hard and show your love to the animals. And yess sometimes it is not completly like in THE brochure , sometimes there need to be stuff done before you can do something else. I had to doug à trench to get THE power back because they couldn"t do à operation . The day after I got to help à waterbock darting . It THE most amazing place And im trying to come back as Quick as possible. I would love to stay longer Then the 3 months I staid . And people who say Rudi And Marlice do it for the money are completly insane there love for animals is so big that all the money they make with the lodge And filming And stuff they Will spend on The conservation of wildlife in Namibia.

I hope Many animal lovers And people who want to work for this great plave Will do the volenteering.

Dirk de Kempenaer

• Stayed March 2011
4 Thank KirkDirk
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed February 25, 2012

I would like to agree with the previous reviewer. I visited N/a'ankuse in December 2010. There were 12-16 volunteers, a lot of farm work but plenty of wildlife work to ofset this. The usual coordinator was on leave, her replacement was wonderful and we had activities which gave us an idea of the difficulties of wildlife consevation.
I returned in December 2011 for a longer time, what a change! There were 36 volunteers of varying ages but the majority were under 25 and there for a good time and to go home with stories and pictures of leopards, cheetahs and so on. They were sold vast amounts of alcohol and stayed up late into the night partying.
There was often no food left when people came in late from their projects and no where to get any and therefor they went hungry.
The planning was almost none existent and tools the same.
Because there were important visitors at the lodge the volunteers were left to themselves at Christmas with only 2 hours work and then did not see anyone from "mangement' thoughout the holiday. The adults left for the New Year as we felt we could not cope with another 4 days with nothing to do, no chairs to sit on. There were 3 chairs in the smoking area but these were always in use.
Two families with adult children left early because of the situation.
We did bring these concerns to the volunteer coordinator and Marlice but it seemed that nothing was taken on board. The project has certainly lost any vision it may have had when it started.
I have been on many other projects and not been treated as we were.
If you are young, into partying go. If you are more mature, are really interested conservation, there are many more ethical volunteering projects to consider.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with friends
25 Thank Meg B
Derbyshire, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 11, 2012

Wow- what an amazing place. Ignore the bad reviews, they are just from volunteers who couldn't appreciate what was in front of them!! Seriously had the time of my life, yes you do have farm animals to look after but it does state that in the itenary and it's not like it's everyday. The coordinators are brilliant and do know a lot about all the animals and their backgrounds. We had numerous presentations on the animals which was extremely interesting. We also had the pleasure of spending time with both marlice and rudy (the owners). Yes it can be hard work but the amazing animal time you get makes it all worth it. The baboons are ace, the cheetahs just adorable, caracals amazing... List could go on. Well worth the money, recommend you go for at least 3 weeks and ask to stay in a tent as the tents are lovely. Thanks n/ a an kuse for the time of my life

• Stayed January 2012