“Briers wedding January 2012”

N/a'an ku se Lodge and Wildlife Sanctuary
Reviewed February 8, 2012

We were treated like royalty!
Best food, service and treatment we've ever come across in Namibia.
Thanks Rhoona for service excellence!

• Stayed: January 2012
2  Thank Namboertjie

Reviewed February 5, 2012

We went to Naankuse to have breakfast. After breakfast my children went for a dive in the pool. We booked a weekend away (me and hubby). The day was awsome. Really peaceful and such a lovely place. Can't wait for the weekend we bookend.

Room Tip: Will let you know since we only had breakfast.
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank Zurita J
Reviewed January 19, 2012

My husband and I started and ended our fabulous trip to Namibia by staying in one of Na'ankuse's well-appointed cottages. We loved it. The lodge's stylish interior design seems to come together in such a way as to make you feel like the property is all yours - as if the restaurant was somehow your own large dining room. The views are extraordinary. Though our bed was ridiculously comfy, one day we woke up early enough to see the vivid colours of the sunrise with the house cat Fudgie sitting on our laps.

The service of the staff and management we came across was extremely professional, of a standard you would expect from a five-star establishment. Beyond that, they were genuinely lovely people who were seemingly proud of their vocations.

Seeing the Sanctuary animals only added to an already perfect stay. We were lucky enough to stay at some of Namibia's best addresses throughout our trip, and this was our favourite.

You will need a solid vehicle to get here, as the roads are rough (and almost impassible in rainy season, when only a 4by4 would be able to plow through the deep pools of water). Speaking of pools, there is a stunning-looking one here, though we didn't take the time to try it out. I hope we'll have the chance again.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank itinerantHongKong
Reviewed December 8, 2011

I volunteered for 2 weeks and it was too short!!!
The place is fantastic. I was lucky to stay in a very comfortable tent and at night i could hear the lions and jackals.
The best memories for me are the moments spent with animals. Walking with the caracals was by far the favorite activity among the volunteers. I also loved walking with the baby baboons, they are so funny and cute and i am so happy that i had the amazing experience of sleeping with Rudie the baby baboon, what a little angel!
And being able to cuddle a cheetah is unbelievable!
The presentations made by the staff were really interesting and helped us to have a better understanding of what Naankuse is doing.
The food was great. On Mondays and thursdays, a little shop was opened where you could buy drinks, chocolate, cigarettes, namibian sim cards, soap among other things.
To sum up, i had a great time and miss the place/the people/the animals so much!! i hope to be able to go back next year and for a longer time!

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled solo
5  Thank Ludivine L
Reviewed November 30, 2011

N/a'an Ku Se is a welcoming place. A place where you feel relaxed and at home quickly. A place also, where a lot is going on. During the comprehensive induction, Cila gave me a very good impression of what N/a'an Ku Se stands for: reducing the conflict between animals and peoples lifestock through education and evidence and the release of animals as far as they would be able to function in the wild without conflicting with humans. Indeed it took me two weeks to really get through the routine of the many daily activities, and realise how many animals were depending on our care. Animals with each their own sad or happy story. Animals waiting for a chance to be released, and animals that will have to spend their lives in captivity. N/a'an Ku Se truly grew on me day by day! It is a place where animals and people are equally respected. I truly enjoyed how the staff members all seem to be friends and how well they are able to motify us volunteers to get the jobs done. No day is the same and they always have to be flexible and improvise, abilities expected from their volunteers as well. Together with the daily routine, there is time to enjoy the research part of the organisation. Checking of cages and camera traps, game counts and collar tracking are strong learning opportunities and highly appreciated. Animal time with Caracals and Baboons is pure joy! But the most exciting to me were the unexpected events: Pick up an animal, dart it to be able to examine and treat it safely, and if possible, release it as soon as possible. Each animal, big or small received the same respect and care. The leopard who had lost her tail, the Meerkat that was not doing well or the rooster with an infected leg all got the same serious attention. While Rudie was treating the animal, he always answered our questions, and challenged us with his questions and gave us tasks to ensure the animal was o.k. On these occasions all volunteers participated. In the background the staff made sure all necessary tasks were done! The many presentations given by Rudie and the staff members made my stay extra rewarding, feeling that people want to share their knowledge and experience with us, thus getting us more involved and better embassadors once we get home and tell our stories. No matter the large numbers of volunteers passing, the staff quickly recognises peoples interests, skills and abilities. I was lucky my skills came in handy installing solar panels, and I was happy with the confidence shown when I was asked to do some security drives. Together with some of my fellow volunteers these drives under a beautiful starry sky were a real treat. Coming back short after sunrise, we saw many animals starting their search for food.
For a young organisation, N/a'an Ku Se is remarkably well organised. In fact for us volunteers, it is a luxury place! I loved the spacious and comfortable tent I lived in. Plenty of space around it and always the sounds of animals nearby. The food is excellent and varied with special meals for vegetarians! Muffins for the 10:30 break are baked fresh every day, and you never have to worry about washing the dishes. My tent was kept clean and my bed was made. In the afternoon a fire was made behind every washroom to heat up the boiler for our hot showers. Not to forget the laundry service. All we had to do is work the daily program and do not worry about the rest. The crew of local people performing all those tasks really had their own full program! I enjoyed the rotation of tasks and people. Working in different small groups every week, makes sure you get to know everyone very easily. Great fun were the saturday afternoon activities, organised by the staff and the kitchen personel. Nothing was too much and it was clear the staff members enjoyed it to participate. Famous were the Springbokkies when the Bush Bar was open! Working at N/a'an Ku Se means you are expected to invest and give your best, and as a reward you will go home with a load of knowledge, experience and good memories. Thank you N/a'an Ku Se!

Stayed: November 2011, traveled solo
12  Thank Lex K
Reviewed November 13, 2011

My wife and I stayed for one night at this remarkably styled lodge close to the Sanctuary. We were struck by the decor before realising it was largely locally sourced. The staff were discreetly attentive and went well beyond expectation in helping us to enjoy our stay. The food was excellent for Namibia and the setting is relaxing with the opportunity to take one of a number of wildlife viewing experiences. Would like to have stayed longer!

Room Tip: All designed to enjoy privacy.
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank tim_and_noelle
Reviewed November 7, 2011

One of the most stunning places on earth for starters.
Pro's
Lot's of animal time. Lot's of baboon time so if your not a fan I would suggest finding another sanctuary.
Researchers are great and didnt seem to mind answering questions that they have probably been asked a million times.
Daily information sessions about the animals, research, the sanctuary itself, and other topics.
Project work can be very hard, but when it is done very rewarding to see the finished product.
Depending on when your there exciting things can happen. Such as whilst I was there one of the staff took a volunteer to pick up a Leopard. Turns out her tail had been cut off and had a few other scuffs. The owner came down and but her under sedation and checked her health while explaining everything to us. In the end it was decided she was healthy enough to be released and did so on the other side of the farm. Next day on game count one of the Bushman trackers found her prints a good 15km away which by his excitement was great news.
Rooms were basic but nice, and they tended to but the older volunteers and couples in the tents away from the younger crowed which generally were up later.
Showers and flushing toilets mind you sometimes didnt work or shower would be cold later at night, but was to be expected and considering the shower is heated by solar panels, kind of obvious
Made friends from all over the globe
Had a nice pool to cool down with on lunch

Cons
When I first got there, there wasnt a huge amount of volunteers which was nice because you obviously got more one on one time with animals but it also wasnt so chaotic and overwhelming. When I went to leave it was getting packed and with new volunteers coming in on any given day was really hard to remember names and get them trained.
People came there I felt like expecting it to be easy and therefore complained a lot or took off for half the day. It is called a working holiday for a reason, to that if you are not physically fit, or have any problems that would make cutting bushes, collecting rocks, shoveling and those sorts of jobs painful or not possible I would suggest staying at the lodge or finding another sanctuary.
If you werent vegetarian you didnt get as much fruits or veggies as I personally would have liked. That being said food was good and filling. Also you have the opportunity to go into the city on Sunday's which was nice because for me I could buy some extra fruit for days I didnt get any.
It's not a zoo meaning, they are trying to release as many of the animals as they can so no they are not all tame, and you dont spend any time with them because they dont want these animals to get used to people.
Yes there are the suckier jobs like food prep, and cleaning, but the animals need food to live as well your cleaning the chickens pen but theyre giving you the eggs to make your food. Fair trade I figured.
Not really a con but working in the afternoon heat was rough some days but having huge waterbottles was a life saver!

All in all it was the most amazing trip with lots of rewards and a great learning experience. Of course there are areas for improvement and at the end were given a sheet where we could write such things but where in the world does a perfect place exist? Would do it again in a heart beat!!!

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled solo
4  Thank Stephanie P
Also consider these accommodations in or near Windhoek
Hilton Windhoek
Sun Karros Daan Viljoen
Sun Karros Daan Viljoen
#15 of 91 in Windhoek
andBeyond Sossusvlei Desert Lodge

Been to N/a'an ku se Lodge and Wildlife Sanctuary? Share your experiences!