“"I'd go back tomorrow if I could"”

Cardboard Box Hostel
Alkmaar, Noord-Holland, Netherlands
“"I'd go back tomorrow if I could"”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 13, 2012

Fantastic staff - extremely friendly, helpfull with everything, flexible and smiling!!! I was there in July and in August and it was fully booked, nice evenings in the bar and nice talks with other guests. No trouble at all with "disturbances at night" - even if people came back at 4 a.m. they were very quiet and considerate. The pots and the pans in the kitchen could use an up-date, but that would be the only neg. comment I can give - the rest was just great!!!! Thanx to all of you, Cathy :-))

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
Chad_WWindhoek, Owner at Cardboard Box Hostel, responded to this review, August 16, 2012
Hi there Cathy. Thank you very much for such a positive response. It was our pleasure having you as our guest and i will make sure the staff get to see your review. Until next time. Safe travels.Chad.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Chatel-St-Denis
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 24, 2012

I enjoyed this place a lot. Of course, the place is not the best and most comfortable in town but without doubt it's the best backpacker in town with fair price, good people, good parties and perfect to meet another people to travel with or have a chat with. The ladies at the reception are very friendly and helpful and the owner knows the best spot in Namibia. After a safari, the best in the Cardboard Box is no doubt the bar and the swimming-pool. I had a lot of fun there, thanks to all the staff and the people I met. I recommand!

Stayed October 2011, traveled solo
Chad_WWindhoek, Owner at Cardboard Box Hostel, responded to this review, July 30, 2012
Hi there, thanks very much for your positive response. I am really happy that you enjoyed your stay. We have been trying really hard in the last year to improve our whole product. We have bought new beds, mattresses, fan's in all the rooms, repainted the whole property and new doors and locks. Our staff training is going well and it is awesome to have a review like this. Happy travelling. Thanks again. Chad
Berlin, Germany
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 25, 2012

I have stayed many times at the cardboard box backpackers in Maun and although I thought I had outgrown hostels and noisy teenagers on tour, this place got a very cool vibe. Its well managed by lovely Mona Lisa and run by Chad the owner. Chad in good mood is unique and you cannot be beat with his jokes. You must ask for his 40th birthday joke, it’s a cracker :-)! They also have family and double rooms, so if you like hostel atmosphere, but don´t want to share a dorm, this place got it all. Also a great place if you want to bring your dog along.
Once a week they got braai night with fresh meat for the grill and it’s a great place to meet people, make contacts and organize any tours. Also the location of the hostel is just perfect, only five minutes to Independent Street.

Steffi Presske - Gondwana Tours and Safaris, Maun (Botswana) & Berlin (Germany)

Room Tip: My favorite room is a double in the back of the building called Molin Rounge. Nice and quiet at all...
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
, Owner at Cardboard Box Hostel, responded to this review, June 29, 2012
Hi there Steffi, thanks for the feedback. we are glad you enjoyed your stay and thanks for the positive response, by the way we are actually in Windhoek, i feel like i am 25 and i am always in a good mood ;-)
London
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 3, 2012

Room:
Despite shabby appearances, one of the most comfortable beds we found in Southern Africa!

Food:
Very nice and not too expensive, with a good brai. Wine available (we had not seen any in a while so this was very welcome!). Breakfast included was tasty.

Location:
Good - 10 min walk to Windhoek centre. Fairly safe area.

People were friendly and booking was easy, unlike another hostel nearby who would not take a booking unless we emailed them address, passport and credit card details! Would stay here again but only due to lack of easily bookable places.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
Chamcar Bei
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 17, 2012

Next time I will go to Windhoek I'll make some more work of exploring the possibilities. The Cardbox is a very average place for with you pay just a bit too much. The beds in my dorm were all crappy. Staff wasn't too helpful either. They coudn't give me any good recommendations for Windhoek nor Etosha. Also when I lost my favorite hoody in the hostel they didn't seem to care at all. They have a pool though.. Another disappointment was the fact that there is only one computer, which is of course always occupied. If you're not a flashpacker and you want to arrange stuff, you shouldn't expect to be able to do it here.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
Durham, North Carolina
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 15, 2012

The people at the Cardboard Box give this hostel a warm and welcoming vibe because they are all so friendly and patient. The dorm accommodations are basic and clean enough and the poolside bar area is inviting. Special thanks to Ellen, Kathleen, Velamina, Immanuel, Hosea & Poinsetta.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled solo
Sydney, Australia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 15, 2012

I stayed at this hostel on 9 January 2012. I can't stress enough how much you should not stay here - the bathroom facilities are dirty, the toilet did not flush, the shower did not drain and worst of all the place is completely infested with bed bugs. My partner and I both now have 100+ bites all over our bodies. Sleeping in our car by the side of the road would have been preferable. The only positive thing I can say is that it is cheap.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Sydney11111
Chad_WWindhoek, Owner at Cardboard Box Hostel, responded to this review, March 1, 2012
Thank you for your feedback. I am truly sorry you did not enjoy your stay here with us. Unfortunately we are no more immune to bed bugs than anyone else. New york city had an infestation in 2010. I however can tell you that all our beds were fumigated as soon as we heard about it. The mattresses in our rooms are 4 months old and we continue to do maintenance on our toilets, showers and hostel as and when we have any problems. We have 45 + guests making use of the facilities every day and problems do occur. Once again sorry for your bad night. Chad