“The best pizza in Namibia?”

Sardinia Blue Olive
Ranked #8 of 134 Restaurants in Windhoek
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed September 2, 2013

Certainly a hell of a lot better than the place in Walvis which is lauded by one guide book! Pleasant meal, pleasant service, just a little slow because it was a busy time. To prove it was truly Italian there was football on the TV! Fortunately the sound was turned down. Happy to go again.

There are newer reviews for Sardinia Blue Olive

Reviewed August 20, 2013

This restaurant is a short walk from both the Hilton and the Kalahari Sands hotels. It specializes in pizza and pasta and both are excellent. It has a limited wine list but the wines are excellent and very inexpensive. The restaurant attracts a mix of locals and visitors. It is very reasonably priced and a pizza or pasta will cost about $7 (US)

1  Thank StevePotomac_MD
Reviewed August 18, 2013

The restaurant was good and the service was good I'd suggest this place to anyone looking for a place to eat in Windhoek.

Some of the pizza toppings are ridiculously inauthentic and are probably their due to their demand from the locals.

The owners seem to be Italian and thus if you order the more authentic Italian dishes on the menu (nothing with pineapple or peppadews on it!) then you won't be sorry.

Reviewed August 14, 2013

This is the first time I've eaten at Sardinia in their new location in Klein Windhoek.

The tables were crammed in so close to each other that my friend had to ask customers who had just arrived to get up and move their chairs so she could get back to our table. Then, a woman squeezed between our table and the one next to it, and I ended up with a glass of red wine all over my clothes (the bottle and glass were tipped over). The poor woman was so embarrassed but it was not her fault. What was disgusting is that the owner didn't even come over to help clean me and the mess up. She left her waitress (who was seriously busy with her other tables) to try to run for cloths, mop, etc. Other patrons were giving me their small paper napkins to try to soak up the wine from my clothes and purse while I stood in the middle of the restaurant waiting to be helped. It took more than 10 minutes to clean it all up and I could not sit down for a good five of those minutes. When we asked for a cloth to dry me off from the owner she gave us two small paper napkins that she placed on the table without even looking at us or saying a word. In short, she was miserable and rude.

I did not receive an apology. My 200 Euro pink sweater has wine stains on that I am busy trying to remove this morning. We ended up buying another bottle of wine to go with our meal. Nothing complementary. We should have walked out. The food took forever but it was good. Our waitress was good and I hope she does not bear the brunt of my complaint.

On my way out of the restaurant I stood by the owner, at the till, while she berated her staff for something to do with how they were writing things down or whatever. The owner looked at me (in a cold and irritated way) and asked if she could help me. When I told her that I would be posting a complaint about my experience at her restaurant and the reason why, she said she didn't even know about the wine. What? How can you be standing 10 meters away, overseeing your own restaurant, and not see the commotion with the wine? I told her she has too many tables in the restaurant and it's uncomfortable and difficult to walk around. She said there was a problem with the configuration. There was no apology from her. Just excuses. In short, she didn't give one hoot about what had happened.

That kind of greed (packing in so many tables that the ambiance becomes ugly), and knowing full well that losing one customer hardly matters to her, is reason alone not to do business at Sardinia.

I notice all the posts about Sardinia being the best Italian restaurant in town. I believe it is the ONLY Italian restaurant in town. I've had much, much better dining experiences elsewhere in Windhoek.

The friend I was with has also had a number of bad experiences at Sardinia as of late. Food cold by the time it arrived, entrees being served at different times for everyone at the same table, and walking in to the restaurant as the people at the reception are seriously swearing.

Reviewed August 7, 2013

Delightful evening with decent service and food. Recommendations were spot and and I would definitely go back and entertain here again.