“How this place is number 1 amazes me” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Am Weinberg Restaurant - CLOSED

Am Weinberg Restaurant
Good for: Scenic view
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Description: As one of Windhoek’s finest gourmet restaurants, and the only one in Namibia currently awarded the prestigeous Chaîne des Rôtisseurs plaque, Am Weinberg Restaurant offers the sophisticated diner a health oriented and well crafted menu in a homely yet elegant atmosphere. Have an aperitif and enjoy a wine from a wide selection of some of the best South African wines while enjoying the beautiful sunset over the Klein Windhoek valley. During summer you can relax with a cocktail or your choice of drink in our open-air beach bar.The ideal place to end your holiday on a high culinary note.
Solwezi, Zambia
“How this place is number 1 amazes me”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 24, 2013

I trust Trip advisor a lot, especially for “#1 of 60 restaurants” in Windhoek. This place knows it’s rated number 1 and takes advantage of that. The night we ate at Am Weinberg I could pick out no locals (foreigners are easy to spot) which tells you something. While the food was good in general, it was overpriced and the vibe was a failed attempt at sophistication. As an example the waitresses serve the food with white gloves on, but the gloves are far too big so look a bit ridiculous. Our waitress wasnt very informed about the menu items. We were presented with an ‘amuse bouche’ of sea food salad. I am vegetarian so don’t enjoy being given things without first checking, and my husband reported it to be “fishy”. He didn’t even eat my portion (and he is a hungry guy!). The night before we ate at Stellenbosch Wine Bar and Bistro down the road which was a far superior meal, the ambience is way nicer, for a fraction of the price. Give this place a skip unless you’re a die-hard tourist looking to part with your bucks. Sorry Am Weinberg, I hate giving reviews this bad, but this warranted it.

• Visited August 2013
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Tamara D
Weinberg-Restaurant, Owner at Am Weinberg Restaurant, responded to this review, August 25, 2013
Hello Tamara D

i am very sorry that you feel our Restaurant does not deserve to be No. 1 of 60 in Windhoek.

An Amuse Bouche is served to please the guest before she/he gets the starter and in all regularity at all places without asking beforehand (where would be the surprise?). Nevertheless, we do prepare also vegetarian Amuse Bouche on request - should you just have mentioned to the waitress when she served it, that you do not like fish, we could have easily provided you with an vegetarian Amuse Bouche. So much to this!

Regards Ambience: all our guests (or let me correct it: all besides one) enjoy out setup and ambience and have never complained about prices: So, sorry that you were not satisfied.

Comparing us with a Bisrtro is of course not a problem for us. If you enjoy a courtyard more than a good view and perfect service and excellent fresh food, it is also up to you to choose. Of course there you did not have the problem with an amuse bouche not to your likeness - there is non served.

You admitted yourself in your review: the meal was good. Though, you did not mention the quality of service.

Thanks for your critics

R

New York City, New York
“Place is Consistently Very Good”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 14, 2013

We spent a Saturday evening dining at Am Weinberg with friends and I must say we all had excellent meals. I had the Kingklip and it was delicious. Even the starter salad was crisp, fresh, and delectable. We ate indoors this time and it was a very pleasant environment. Tastefully done. Staff and service were very good. I can highly recommend this restaurant.

• Visited August 2013
1 Thank globaltraveller62
Edegem, Belgium
“Excellent restaurant”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 22, 2013 via mobile

A restaurant to recommend: a place where professional and very friendly staff serves delicious food (we had crocodile salad, oryx, springbok, creme brulee). Maybe a bit more expensive than other places in Windhoek but for that you can enjoy food and wine in a beautifull and tranquile decorum. We certainly would go back to this restaurant. It is one of the best establishments we ate during our holidays in Namibia.

Visited July 2013
“Disappointing”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 8, 2013 via mobile

The view is nice. Garden peaceful.
Prices outrageous.

Garden chairs metal with no cushions ??!!! Where you payN$ 100 for a salad. N$195 for springbuck medallions.

Waitress was ok. Not friendly.
Not happy that I wanted to sit in garden. She would have to go up and down stairs.

Ordered crocodile strips on garden salad.
Pretty plain.

I won't be back.

• Visited July 2013
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
6 Thank Mespey
Weinberg-Restaurant, Owner at Am Weinberg Restaurant, responded to this review, July 11, 2013
Hello Mespey

Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback. I am certainly disappointed that your lunch/dining (?) experience was not all that it could have been.

I would like to apologize on behalf of the restaurant and the concerned waitress, for not having provided the usual cushions for your seats. That would be standard procedure and we will bring it up at our next staff improvement session. Thank you for the information.

Our Springbok Loin and also the crocodile on salad are both firm favourites amongst guests and I do apologize for being nor to your liking.

I am pleased to her that you enjoyed the view in our peaceful garden.

I therefore wish to invite you back to Am Weinberg Restaurant so that we may deliver to you the full experience ambiance AND food. Please therefore contact me at any time when you wish to lunch/dine at our place again.

Kind Regards

Fax: +264(0)61 23 60 55
Pretoria, Gauteng, South Africa
“Pizza was fantastic”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 16, 2013

The quality of the food was great.
The waiters were also friendly and helpful.
the atmosphere was fantastic