“Terrible hotel” 1 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #10 of 17 Hotels in Windhoek
Wellington, New Zealand
“Terrible hotel”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 30, 2013

Dreadful experience here last week. First of all, the hotel tried to refuse to accept our prepaid voucher. Then they put us not in the hotel at all, but in a flat ten minutes walk away. And the driver never turned up to take us back to the main hotel in the morning so we had to carry our bags all the way.

There was no hot water in the shower.

Breakfast coffee was undrinkable, and unusually for Africa, you are expected to pay for it rather than it being part of the breakfast buffet.

Advice provided by staff was wrong - "the museum will be closed today" - it wasn't.

All in all a most unsatisfactory experience. It's not even particularly cheap.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank Colin J

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Bentonville, Arkansas
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 22, 2013

Roof of Africa is a mixed bag. In all fairness to the hotel, I must break this review into two parts: (1) the accommodations and (2) dining.
With regard to the accommodations, the rooms are clean and the staff associated with the rooms are nice. One huge perk is free wifi, which is not the norm in southern Africa.There are obvious shortfalls in the furnishings, but it appears the hotel is in the process of updating, so an A for effort is due in this area.
With regard to the dining, it is the worst service I have ever encountered. I am not talking about the food because I did not have a chance to eat. We sat for two meals and we were ignored for 15-20 minutes the first time. There were few people in the restaurant, so the lack of service was not attributable to being overly busy. I approached one of the wait staff about ordering and was told she would be with us "in a minute." The minute(s) passed and, after waiting for approximately 30 minutes, she took our order. The food never showed. We gave up and left the restaurant. The following morning we tried breakfast. It was definitely busier, but not full, and it was a partial buffet. It was approximately 8 am and there was cereal but no milk, fruit bowls without fruit, coffee and tea carafes without coffee and tea. We inquired about these things and they did provide hot water for tea. We sat in hopes of ordering the hot breakfast, but alas, no one came. We drank the tea and left.
I am happy to know, based on the other reviews, that this is not commonplace. But, it happened to me and my family. If I were solely rating the accommodation, I would give it a very good. If I were solely rating the restaurant, it would do good to garner a terrible.

Room Tip: If wifi in the room is a must, get a room close to reception. There are internet cables for hardwiri...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 20, 2013 via mobile

Compared to 6 hotels lodges, I stayed at on this trip it has to rate last! The rooms seem more suited to the hot summers. The room (33) i stayed in was small with a cold concrete floor. I chose it, as it was closest to the car park. The staff are friendly; if a bit innificient. The breakfast tables and counter stayed messey for ages. All the rooms i was shown, seemed too dark and depressing. The place still has a backpacker feel, with upmarket prices, though. The secure parking is a big bonus

Stayed June 2013, traveled solo

Travelers are raving about these Windhoek hotels

Brussels, Belgium
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 17, 2013

I was recommended this hotel by 2 of my parners who stayed there last december. They were very happy and would have given 5 stars. Well, the first consequence when booking this hotel was that no one would wait for me at the aiport, as requested: they forgot. People at the reception are friendly indeed, which is nice. The standard rooms are very small, but correct. After a good night rest, I took a shower and when I came out, I realized that water had flooded not only in the bathroom but all over the parquet floor. I immediately call the reception at 7 in the morning and when I cam back at noon, the water was still there. I had to look for a cleaning woman myself. No internet in the room, only in the very busy bar corner. All this is a pitty, because with a little more care, it could be a charming place.

Room Tip: If you need to work in your room, specify that you need nternet in your room.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Oslo, Norway
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 12, 2013

We wish to inform the management that we were very pleased with our stay at Roof of Africa.
The service is superb and the staff is very helpful and always smiling and the rooms are nice and some of them within reach of the WI-FI signals from the reception.
The restaurant offers delicious dishes, including game and the bar has a large variety of liquor, beer and high quality wines.
Sitting by the pool in the garden sipping a mojito while birds are singing in the trees gives the place tranquility.
The hotel is located in a quiet area but still within walking distance to the city center.
Roof of Africa works like a well oiled machinery and we will definitely stay at this hotel again when we return to Windhoek.
Thank you for giving us a pleasant stay!
René & Sylvi, Oslo Norway.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 30, 2013 via mobile

The standard room was dreadful. The shower head came off Onto my head the first time I used it. The delux or luxury rooms were better but would be called standard elsewhere. The food was very good on the buffet lunch but was the same everyday. I would not recommend this hotel for more than a couple of nights in a luxury room. There was no Internet acces in the room.

Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Arlington, Virginia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 15, 2013

...mostly in it's affordability, but it's not bad. I would stay here again, but I would not stay in the cheapest rooms. My TV remote didn't work, the fridge wasn't plugged into a working outlet, and the room organization was inefficient. There was a (comfortable) double-bed up against shelving that basically was therefore unusable. Oh, and if you do request an airport transfer, make sure you confirm that. The tours rep was certain I didn't request one until presented with the email showing that I absolutely did. I kinda think I should hate this place, but I for whatever reason I don't.

The non-cheap rooms were in better shape than mine. The service ranged from barely acceptable to quite good depending on who and where - some waitresses really didn't want to let go of their conversations, but some were quite attentive. The front desk was usually pretty good. The restaurant didn't seem to see much business while I was staying, but I must say I was generally quite pleased both with the buffet and the a-la-carte menu offerings. The prices were excellent. The bar was much livelier. I preferred it to Joe's, which is a five minute walk away (no sidewalks, however, if that's your thing). There's a small shopping center with a Woermann-Brocks on the way to Joe's and the hotel parking is guarded. If you are in decent shape and don't want to spring for a vehicle, you could walk over the mountain via Schanzenweg (again, no sidewalks) to go downtown from here (not if you are on business and dressed for it, though). All-in-all ok.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo