“Lovely place, in need of new management”
Review of Tan-'n-Biki

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Maputo
Tan-'n-Biki
Ranked #1 of 19 Specialty Lodging in Maputo
Reviewed November 14, 2011

A classic example of a wonderful accommodation,but with the most unfriendly staff and management you'll find. We felt treated like we were a major nuisance for staff and especially management. Every question was difficult or unanswerable, working out our invoice was difficult and took forever for management. There were no functioning credit card facilities. Electricity was out more than a day, which happens in Mozambique, but no candles or lamps were provided. A generator is available on site, but only connected to the TV-screen of the manager, we had to beg for the water pump to be turned on so we could at least have cold shower.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled with friends
4  Thank bramlangen

Reviewed April 7, 2010

This gem of a resort has everything it advertises, plus warm friendly and accomodating owners (Bertie & Lester) and staff, that are always visible and always ready to assist. Spent the Easter weekend camping there ,after moving from Macaneta Holiday Resort which is disgraceful, and had a fantastic weekend. Will definitely be returning soon. Tan N Biki has clean ablution facilities with HOT running water, electrity etc, plus a nice touch was a new liquid hand wash at the basins everyday!
For the lazy, you can "drive" to the beautiful beach, but the 2 minute walk just makes the swimming pools even more inviting on the return trip. The road is not perfect, but easily handled by a Kia Sportage. Even the ferry breaking down and delaying our return for 9 hours, could not put a damper on our holiday. Cannot wait to go back!

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled with friends
4  Thank SwaziGeeGee
Reviewed September 13, 2009

We were really pleasantly surprised. We fell upon this resort on the internet and booked a four sleeper tented chalet. This was accommodation for myself, my wife and my two sons aged 14 and 11.

We left our car at the ferry port at a place called Lapa Side. It cost us ZAR30 per day. The ferry ride across only took about 10 mins and cost us ZAR17 each. The ferry is reliable and safe, although you may wait a while as it runs only on demand!

We were lucky enough to meet up with a fellow South African on the ferry, who had his 4X4 there. He very kindly gave us a lift to the resort. Upon arrival, one of the workers, Enoch, who directed us to a 6 sleeper tented chalet!

The accommodation consisted of two double beds and a bunk bed. We had our own bathroom and a seperate, fully kitted out kitchen. We had a whale of a time on the beach everyday. However, it must be said that this was an out of season visit. The place, when full, could probably be a little on the Paddy's market side, but out of season, I would definately recommend this place! Thanks Betsie and her helpful team!

Stayed: August 2009, traveled with family
4  Thank milo900
Reviewed April 20, 2009

I am just cracking up reading reviews from people that visited tan-n-biki that had negative experiences. First of all, The beach is not a 20 min walk. It's more like a 5 min walk if you take your time to take in the beautifull scenery. (And even then you have to walk really slow. And the road from the river crossing is not a walk in the park, I agree, but I saw a Corsa bakkie and Citi Golf right in Tan-n-Biki's camping terrain over easter weekend. Which goes to show that the roads are not so bad after all. Come on people.....when do you actually get the chance to actually use that very expensive 4x4 or off-road vehicle in your home town? I must say that my 2x4 2500 TD Mazda Drifter did a stunning job of getting us right to the campsite. I think it was actually the first time that I used my diff-lock and I must say I enjoyed navigating the "not so super" road conditions. The last 1km or so tyres where deflated and the "sea sand" road leading up to the camp was just fun. Remember, this is Africa. If you are not at least a little adventerous then do not cross border.

Accomodation is stunning and combined with all the other things to do there,makes for an unforgettable experience. After all, you are there to rest and get away from the everyday rush.

If you want to buy fresh unfrozen prawns by the dozen, the beach is the place to be. Fisherman start from early morning untill afternoon. In our group we bought more than 8 kg's. So there are allways fresh prawns.

You will not regret vissiting Tan-n-biki in the least. And remember that a bad experience could also come from the people that you invite to come along.

(Before I forget...the Restaurant is a must vissit.......)

I will defenitely vissit them again...soon

Regards Bennie

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled as a couple
3  Thank BennieCenturion
Reviewed April 15, 2009

We spent 9 days at Macaneta over Easter, our second year in a row and again we enjoyed the trip tremendously.

The newly built restaurant is a big attraction & provides for excellent food, wine, cocktails, etc. where we also watched sports, played card games and met other holiday-goers. Ockie, the restaurant manager-chef, has an excellent personality with a great sense of humor, it was truly a pleasure meeting him.

The beach is only 5 -10 minutes walk, of course depending on how fit one is... We had a lovely campsite with beautiful trees and the ablution is spotless with hot water.

Also the service that one gets is excellent, not having to worry about dishes or carrying stuff and of course beer, bread & ice in abundance.

We rented quads for an entire day, it was great fun to ride between the dunes and explore the island. The swimming pools are centrally located, with surrounding trees, grass or beach sand, whichever you prefer.

The downside? The road between the Ferry and the turn-off to Tan 'n Biki - it can become extreme adventure - luckily we drove with 4x4's.

If you need to break away and relax with or without friends, go to this island, it is a great experience!

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled with family
1  Thank AL07
Reviewed January 22, 2009

I started going to Tan-'n-Biki in Sep 2006. Since then I only go to Cape Town when my friends from the USA visits. I used to go to Cpt and East London for holidays and long weekends. Since then, I visit Tan-'n-Biki at every opportunity that I get. All my long weekends (always combined with 1 or 2 xtra days) to avoid the long wait(s) at the border post and the ferry. The camp (people, this is NOT a "hotel"), its owners and staff are most helpful wherever they can. During 2007 I was there in April, May, Sep and Oct. Then in Sep 2008 and just spent my Dec holiday there. All the accommodation and ablutions are clean and neat. The camp is sprayed regularly for mosquitos, but take enough repellent. We never take malaria medication, just be cautious when you get back and do not feel well after 10 days. The beach cannot be compared to Maputo (which is a bay, hence no waves); the water is warm and even from the new camp the walk over the 2 dunes is no longer than 10min - a comfortable stroll. The restaurant, CALIMAMBO, was opened in December and is a great attraction and was "cooking" and only the 2nd restaurant on Macaneta. The food, prepared by Chef Ockie and his staff is excellent. Pau bread (fresh daily) and ice available from the Reception/office and any Mozambican beers, soft drinks and charcoal can be ordered from the staff who will source it for you. This is the only camp that can provide these commodities - guests from the other camps visit for their "daily bread" Remember that you are in Mozambique on an island so go well prepared with your First Aid Kit, groceries, although Betsie and Lester try to help out as far as possible. Do not go if you have a medical problem, unless your doctor approves - remember, you have to take the ferry back to civilization to get to any medical facility (there is a good clinic in Maracuene and good hospitals in Maputo). Hard beds (mentioned by other travellers) good for one's back if you have back problems. Do not go there if you just had surgery, kidney stones, prostate problems or similar - Mozambique is not the place. I have not heard of anyone who contracted Malaria to date (including small children and toddlers under 1 year). I am already planning my next trip. Maybe we will bump into one another - I recommend Tan-'n-Biki to each and everyone who needs a break! It is safe, the weather good (take some family and board games in case of rain which is unpredictable), the Chicken Flatties, Calamari, fish, steaks and Prego Rolls are yummy and Relax and spend quality time with your loved ones. My daughter visited from the USA and she loves it and can't wait to go back there.

• Stayed: December 2008, traveled with friends
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
7  Thank Engeladt
Reviewed January 8, 2009

We were very dissapointed in Tan-'n-Biki. It was false avertising. Betsie told me that the Fairy cost R60 up and down its was R175. She said the road is not bad, it was horrible and got damage on our vehicle. Also that there is 2 big nice swimming pools, its is to small baby pools. Chalets on the beach, you have to walk 1km at least, Fishing, NO fishing! Boat trips, there was no boat trips for 3 weeks that we coukd hear from the other people, rent of quad bikes, where do you pay R175 an hour of a quad bike? Daily fishand prawns from the local fisherman on the beach, there was nothing!!!

There was 3 families at least that was very dissapointed and had to stay because they already paid, luckily we only paid the deposit. We all have to go to Xai Xai to see something nice. At Tan-'n-biki was no white sands, no palm trees nothing, only bushes!!

Sorry to say but I know about few families and ourselves that will never go there again. We spend so much money on this trip and we were there for only 1 day, we are very unhappy!

Betsie and Lester you wont see us again and please stop the false advertising!! Attached photos of the road!

Stayed: December 2008, traveled with family
12  Thank MandieSecunda
Also consider these accommodations in or near Maputo
Radisson Blu Hotel & Residence, Maputo
#2 of 23 in Maputo
Macaneta Holiday Resort
Macaneta Holiday Resort
#13 of 47 in Maputo

Been to Tan-'n-Biki? Share your experiences!