Hotel Villa das Mangas
  • Pool
$111
  • Breakfast included
TripAdvisor
See what travelers are saying:
FilterAll languages
Reviewed September 26, 2012

I used to love staying at this hotel, and decided to return there to find the wonderful atmosphere i remembered, despite the bad reviews I was reading now.
It was a mistake. Things have deteriorated and I will not go back there. Here are the reasons:
A very small room is given to the single traveler. Bathroom is still ok even luxurious, with a real bathtub. Bedding is not very clean and some plastic foil is inserted between sheet and mattress, presumably for protection of the latter... making sleep a not very nice experience.
The breakfast is a rather symbolic and small meal, with "Ricoffy" as a substitute for coffee. This meal is nowadays taken in a small room, an ex-clothes store, whereas it was taken before in the nice front restaurant.
WIFI Internet is for a fee. The pool, still beautiful in the patio seems forever to be occupied by a cleaning robot trailing a plastic hose, spoiling the otherwise delightful setting.
Staff is ok but on the rude side.
The price was ~100 EURO.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
Branca d, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Villa das Mangas, responded to this reviewResponded October 23, 2012

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your valuable time in providing your feedback.

We will keep on putting all our efforts to provide the best hospitality to make sure it all comes together in a professional and pleasant experience.

Reviewed September 25, 2012

I booked Hotel Villa das Mangas for the 17 and 18 September. When I got there, I was simply told that the hotel was full and they transfered me to Hotel Vila das Arabias. This was never mentioned on my booking confirmation. I was not happy but accepted to go to Vila das Arabias. This was so bad that I refused to stay and cenceled my booking. There was no power in Maputo that day and they dont have a generator. The room was tiny and with no windows. The maid that was supposed to be cleaning was sleeping on the bed and locked herself in while taking her nap. They had to knock very hard until she woke up and open the door. Seeing this i simply walked away. They acted as I was just beeing demainding. No apologies, nothing. Absurd!

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank DanaPrista
Branca d, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Villa das Mangas, responded to this reviewResponded October 22, 2012

Dear Ms. Dana Prista,

Many thanks for your valuable feedback!

We apologise for not being able to attend your booking at Mangas Villa Hotel and regret you did not use our services either at Arabias Boutique Hotel.

The power cut you experienced did not last longer than 30 minutes and affected Maputo city in general. It had been publicly advertised by the electricity supplier resulting from a major technical intervention that took place during the day to affect users as little as possible.

As we have informed when you approached the Hotel, your room was not ready yet because we had had a late check-out and the maid was still in the cleaning process. We apologise for not having the room available for your check-in.

We are confident you would have had a different impression should you had actually stayed with us and enjoyed the dedication and attention of our Teams and the exquisite atmosphere of our premises.

Looking forward to seeing you again soon and remaining at your service!

Reviewed May 29, 2012

The appearance of this place is great and the food and service were also nice but I wouldn't want to spend very long here. We only stayed one night on our way down from the north and thought we would splurge after some fairly basic living conditions elsewhere. It was a little bit disappointing but I suppose Mozambique is on it's way up and is not the cheapest place in the world to stay these days.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled as a couple

Dear Guest,

Many thanks for your feedback!

We have put all our attention to the information you provided to make sure we keep up the quality of our services.

Reviewed April 12, 2012

Very sweet little hotel in the middle of Maputo. My children (3 and 5) love the place, nice staff never tired of making an extra effort. Rooms are small but new renovated. Owners are very kind and will make a true effort to accommodate you. Sure you can find more luxury - but you will have to pay the double.

Room Tip: Have reception show you the rooms available when you arrive, there is a a number of different choices to make (size, comfort, noise level).
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your valuable time in providing your feedback.

We are happy to know you have enjoyed your stay with us.

We will continue our efforts to exceed our Guests expectations everyday!

Reviewed December 4, 2011

Having read the previous reviews, I approached this hotel with great trepidation... (it was booked by a colleague so I couldn't really change). After 4 nights there, I was pleasantly suprised. The staff all spoke English and were helpful. The owner was always present and approachable. Yes, the rooms are small and quite inventive with the space...and at some USD 130 a night it is not cheap (but normal for Maputo I was told..). And the breakfast...well, the hotel must have heard the feedback as I found it quite good: three types of cakes, freshly baked sweet bread (yummy), fresh papaya and pineapple, two types of cereals, etc. I even took a photo so you be the judge... don't know about the coffee charges as I don't drink the stuff. Centrally located, there is a good cafe/restaurant just opposite, Cristal.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled on business