“Best deal in town”

Ranked #17 of 23 Hotels in Maputo
Estoril, Portugal
“Best deal in town”
Reviewed April 12, 2012

Very sweet little hotel in the middle of Maputo. My children (3 and 5) love the place, nice staff never tired of making an extra effort. Rooms are small but new renovated. Owners are very kind and will make a true effort to accommodate you. Sure you can find more luxury - but you will have to pay the double.

Room Tip: Have reception show you the rooms available when you arrive, there is a a number of different choice...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
Branca d, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Villa das Mangas, responded to this review, October 22, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your valuable time in providing your feedback.

We are happy to know you have enjoyed your stay with us.

We will continue our efforts to exceed our Guests expectations everyday!

At your service!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
Geneva, Switzerland
Reviewed December 4, 2011

Having read the previous reviews, I approached this hotel with great trepidation... (it was booked by a colleague so I couldn't really change). After 4 nights there, I was pleasantly suprised. The staff all spoke English and were helpful. The owner was always present and approachable. Yes, the rooms are small and quite inventive with the space...and at some USD 130 a night it is not cheap (but normal for Maputo I was told..). And the breakfast...well, the hotel must have heard the feedback as I found it quite good: three types of cakes, freshly baked sweet bread (yummy), fresh papaya and pineapple, two types of cereals, etc. I even took a photo so you be the judge... don't know about the coffee charges as I don't drink the stuff. Centrally located, there is a good cafe/restaurant just opposite, Cristal.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank GON_11
Blantyre
Reviewed May 26, 2011

The website has one photo of rooms around a lovely pool. There is a reason there are no room photos; the rooms are so small you would have to shoot with a fish-eye lens! The only modern feature in my room was an enormous, flat screen TV. Far too big for the room! The bath was cracked and leaking, I had to wedge the window shut with a metal pole, the safe was inoperative for the three nights of my stay, despite twice daily requests to have it repaired (i paid in advance for the internet discount option so was not in a position to change hotels). Ah, yes, the worst thing was the construction site at the hotel. They are building a first floor. The circular saw cutting through the metal roof for most of the day until 6.30pm every night was so loud that I was unable to hold a telephone conversation. Business hotel? They are having a laugh. If you want to construct new room SHUT THE HOTEL!! Or at least let people know that they are about to descend into hell.
At least the complimentary taxi was there to meet me at the airport (I had to pay for the return journey and it's only $10). The breakfast was OK and the squid I had for lunch was outstanding. This is NOT a €70 per night hotel. I even had to pay for internet access! In this day and age?

Room Tip: Try another hotel! The Cardoso looked pretty good
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank MalawiJones

Travelers are raving about these Maputo hotels

Coimbra, Portugal
Reviewed May 21, 2011

I loved the experience... nice place! Friendly staff, the rooms are beautiful and it's well located... Strong recommended. Shore I will be back and i will spread it to my friends.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with friends
Rome
Reviewed December 23, 2010

Hotel Villas des Mangas in Maputo charges 3,400 MZN ($US94 or Euro 67) for a room. I moved here after spending few days in Hotel Africa 1 (2,500 MZN or $US69 or Euro50) and I didn’t like it because of its hygiene, cleanness and lousy service. Though breakfast was OK. I checked out and went for a weekend trip . Upon return on Sunday I checked in to the room in Villas des Mangas. I made an advance booking so they were expecting me. Though when I left my luggage there on Friday they told me that they will start charging me as of Friday. I protested and told them that I will be checking in only on Sunday and I am just postponing my booking. After one hour negotiations they agreed.
I was very tired and dirty from a long trip and I was desperate for a hot shower. I went to the room, unpacked and went to the shower. Guess what, irony of life – no hot water. So, I called the receptionist he came, checked, went back, returned and he repeated this several times. I told him that he has to change my room. In response he said that they are full and that he can’t move me to another room. I was shocked and wanted to leave, but all the hotels I called were full. Receptionist offered a bucket of hot water (!!!) which I refused an protested – in a hotel which costs $US94? This took two hours and you can imagine how frustrated I was. Eventually miracle happened and they discovered one room for me – after 3 hours I was finally moved to a new room. Do you think that the story ends here? The shower had hardly any pressure and temperature of the water would change every few seconds from very cold to very hot – it was literary impossible to regulate the water. This continued throughout my stay in Villas des Mangas – two weeks. I was not able to find another hotel within the price range I could afford ($US60 – 80), as they were all full in Maputo.
Breakfast in Villas des Mangas turned out to be much worse than in any other hotel I have ever been. I do not want to go in to the details, but the restaurant serving breakfast, dishes, food there was just horrible. Additionally they charged 100MZN ($US3) for single espresso during the breakfast which was included in the room rate.
This was just a beginning. One evening as I watching TV in my room, one of total two English channels, I heard a big bang and ceiling literary collapsed and fell on my bed. The room was covered in dust and rubble. The next morning they came, cleaned sand fixed it.
There was no single glass in the room or an ashtray even though I reminded them several times during two weeks of my stay there. On a daily basis they would forget to put a towel in my room and until I reminded them they wouldn’t bring it.
When I was checking out I raised all these issues and expressed my disappointment, as for the money I paid I hardly received value, quality or services expected for that price in Maputo. They didn’t apologise or offer any discount. I left and promised them that I will send this email to my friends and that I will post this on Internet... they didn’t seem to be bothered.
I have travelled a lot and I continue to travel. I do not have high expectations in some places, and I am used to inconveniences, but this time it was too much. I am sharing this to let you know that Villas des Mangas in Maputo doesn’t worth a penny, it is very inconvenient, dirty, services are horrible, maintenance is not done and the place is falling apart, breakfast/food is terrible and it is extremely expensive for such an environment.
I did my due, now it is up to you if you are going to stay there or recommend this place to your friends. Trust me if you do you or your friends will be highly disappointed, so good luck.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled on business
4 Thank George00183
innsbruck
Reviewed March 6, 2010

just an dubious, unfriendly place, stolen money, the personal was just unfriendly, dirty...not something what you imagine for your holliday

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank steinei
Netherlands
Reviewed August 20, 2009

This hotel offers quite acceptable rooms around a swimming pool. The ensemble is actually very nice. Breakfast isn't all that, but OK. The problem with the hotel that although the website gives the impression of western-style service, it isn't. The service is truly Mozambican which can cause problems. Two problems we had; The aiport transfer was not possible to arrange inspite of a lot of telephone calls (Potuguese-only) and emails (ditto). We were also unable to leave the hotel at the necessary time because the person with the key to the safe wasn't there, although we had requested for our valuables the night before. As a consequence we missed our connection and had to hire transport for $ 200,--. No-one really minded. So, if staying there trust yourself and not the hotel.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple