“Very good hotel, good location though it doesn't have ocean views”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Hotel Avenida

Hotel Avenida
Ranked #6 of 22 Hotels in Maputo
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Very good hotel, good location though it doesn't have ocean views”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 24, 2010

This hotel really grew on me. I've stayed at Cardoso in the past which of course is really nice and has the great bay views. Avenida, in contrast, doesn't have much in the way of views, but is is located close to a lot of restaurants and banks, etc.

I really liked the staff--they were friendly, professional, without overdoing it. There is a fitness area but it closes at 9pm which isn't so great--I just ended up going up and down the 10+ flights of stairs for exercise. Overall the hotel is good, clean, has a good location, and rivals Cardoso in terms of my two top business stays. If you want more options on where to eat then Avenida beats it. If you want the ocean views and a swimming pool then Cardoso is ahead.

Stayed November 2010, traveled on business
1 Thank 730108Traveler
HAvenida, General Manager at Hotel Avenida, responded to this review, March 13, 2012
Dear Customer

I would like to thank you for your comment, because it´s very useful for the hotel receiving the clients opinions, to help to improve our services standards.

The gym schedule at the moment is 06.30 Am to 10.00 PM

Hotel Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
Washington DC
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 24, 2010

One of the few best hotels in Maputo. Close to shops and restaurants. Food is pricey but good. Buffet breakfast in included and is comprehensive. Rooms are clean and the hotel offers the usual services expected from a good quality hotel. Roof pool is good too.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled on business
Dear Customer

I would like to thank you for your comment; we appreciate client’s feedback´s about our services and facilities.

Somerset West, South Africa
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 29, 2010

We booked clients into the Avenida in March 2010 and paid with our credit card. Shortly after their stay at the Avenida, our credit card was used for fraudulent transactions originating from Mozambique. This could be coincidence, but having read the other review about credit card issues at the hotel, we thought people should know.

Stayed March 2010, traveled on business
2 Thank ExpostaySA
HAvenida, General Manager at Hotel Avenida, responded to this review, July 21, 2010
Dear Sirs

On behalf of Avenida Hotel, I thank you for your communication, because it´s very useful for the hotel.

If you can send your contact information, so we can talk directly to verify these reservations, and see what may have happened. I would like to announce that the Avenida Hotel was not contacted directly about possible fraudulent transactions by your company.
Please send me an email to; rfv@hotelavenida.co.mz

Manager

Travelers are raving about these Maputo hotels

New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 7, 2010

I stayed at Hotel Avenida twice--once just before leaving Maputo for Johannesburg, and again when returning to Maputo from Johannesburg. The hotel is magnificent. If you are are looking for a western-style accommodation, this is perfect. It is a bit on the pricey side, as compared to some of the other options, but the price is fitting for the quality of rooms and service. Upon check-in, I was given a glass of chilled orange juice, and a bellboy helped me with my luggage. (If you are wondering, the front desk does speak English) The room was everything I expected and have a beautiful view of Avenida Julius Nyerere (one of the main roads in Maputo). There were several English television statins in the room, and I ordered room service for my meals, which arrived promptly and was delicious. There is free internet in one of the lower floors, but the computers tended to be slow due to people downloading a bunch of junk on them. Upon a brief exploration of the rest of hotel, I believe there is a salon, spa and gym, but I didn't try any of these services. They also provide a free shuttle to/from the airport if you give them advance notice; if not, they will gladly call a taxi for you. No complaints about Hotel Avenida; definitely an oasis!

• Stayed April 2007, traveled solo
Dear Sir

On behalf of Avenida Hotel, thank you for your comment because it´s very useful to have feedback from our customers so that we can implement and improve our service.

We hope your visit again in the Avenida Hotel

Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 19, 2010

Our international organization travels to Maputo regularly -- totaling more than 100 nights per year. Historically, we spent a large portion of these nights at the Hotel Avenida given its location, etc. However, we will never use this hotel again.

On two occasions -- in only a span of 4 months -- our credit card information has been stolen by a staff person and resulted in a mess of fraudulent charges on our statements. Each time we have contacted the hotel manager -- with ZERO response. We'll never stay at the Hotel Avenida again. Never.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled on business
1 Thank internationaltrav79
Dear Customer

On behalf of Avenida Hotel, thank you for your comment, because it´s very important for the hotel having the feedback from our clients, and particular from your commentary because it´s very worrying.

The hotel never had any problems concerning the credit card information by the clients that used the hotel facilities; the hotel have internal and international procedures to use the client information and guarantee the private information. The hotel never has been legally informed about any credit card fraud.

We are concern about this matter, and I would like to contact you directly to see what can we do about it, because the hotel does not had any information about this subject, had never be called by the local authorities, or bank´s about the statements as your mentioned in your email. I´m sorry if wasn’t possible to speak with me, or any other department manager, I’m now (I know it´s been awhile) asking if you can help us, given your contact details, and booking information, because with that information we can see what may have happened.
Please contact me directly to my professional email; rfv@hotelavenida.co.mz

Thank you again, and I would appreciate your contact.

USA
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 27, 2009

As other reviewers have mentioned, the location of this hotel is ideal, and the rooms are clean and nicely appointed. It is the service here that is god-awful. The staff is a perfect storm of rude and incompetent. It took nearly an hour to convince someone that I needed to get a shirt ironed for my morning meeting and it progressed to the point where I was going to go down to the laundry room and do it myself before a solution could be found. Checking in and out was slow and tedious. And the food is so horrific that room service isn’t an option.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled on business
Dear Customer

I would like to thank you for your comment because it´s very useful to have feedback from our customers so that we can implement and improve our service.

It´s very important and useful hear the costumer because wiht the information we managed the situation and give the properly training programs to have and give the better services to our customers.

Thank you and I hope to see you in the future in the hotel Avenida to see our improvements

Maputo
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 3, 2009

Most of the things are positive in Hotel Avenida. Located in the central part of the city of Maputo, near commerce and services. It has a good breakfast, although sometimes the cook is unavailable and the employers are distracted with little service when costumers are waiting for expresso, eggs, toasts, or even napkins. It is a very clean hotel, with caring personnel. The book available in the rooms should be revised in order to explain the hotel services in Portuguese and English. During my stay, I could not access the internet service and the television did not have any sound. One other aspect that sould be considered is the rooms that are provided, in the check in, if there is any possibility personel sould ask whether the client prefers the front or back rooms, because when I was in the hotel for about a month I did not had that choice and stayed in the back while beneficiation works where taking place just on the other side of the window. Never the less I enjoyed my stay and the services provided, as well as the sympathy of all personnel.

• Stayed January 2009, traveled on business
Dear Sir

On behalf of Avenida Hotel, we thank you for your comment, because having the feedback is very important for the hotel.

We hope your visit again in the Avenida Hotel