“Possible credit card fraud”
Review of Hotel Avenida

Hotel Avenida
Ranked #5 of 23 Hotels in Maputo
Somerset West, South Africa
“Possible credit card fraud”
Reviewed April 29, 2010

We booked clients into the Avenida in March 2010 and paid with our credit card. Shortly after their stay at the Avenida, our credit card was used for fraudulent transactions originating from Mozambique. This could be coincidence, but having read the other review about credit card issues at the hotel, we thought people should know.

Stayed March 2010, traveled on business
2 Thank ExpostaySA
HAvenida, General Manager at Hotel Avenida, responded to this review, July 21, 2010
Dear Sirs

On behalf of Avenida Hotel, I thank you for your communication, because it´s very useful for the hotel.

If you can send your contact information, so we can talk directly to verify these reservations, and see what may have happened. I would like to announce that the Avenida Hotel was not contacted directly about possible fraudulent transactions by your company.
Please send me an email to; rfv@hotelavenida.co.mz

Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
New York City, New York
Reviewed February 7, 2010

I stayed at Hotel Avenida twice--once just before leaving Maputo for Johannesburg, and again when returning to Maputo from Johannesburg. The hotel is magnificent. If you are are looking for a western-style accommodation, this is perfect. It is a bit on the pricey side, as compared to some of the other options, but the price is fitting for the quality of rooms and service. Upon check-in, I was given a glass of chilled orange juice, and a bellboy helped me with my luggage. (If you are wondering, the front desk does speak English) The room was everything I expected and have a beautiful view of Avenida Julius Nyerere (one of the main roads in Maputo). There were several English television statins in the room, and I ordered room service for my meals, which arrived promptly and was delicious. There is free internet in one of the lower floors, but the computers tended to be slow due to people downloading a bunch of junk on them. Upon a brief exploration of the rest of hotel, I believe there is a salon, spa and gym, but I didn't try any of these services. They also provide a free shuttle to/from the airport if you give them advance notice; if not, they will gladly call a taxi for you. No complaints about Hotel Avenida; definitely an oasis!

• Stayed April 2007, traveled solo
Dear Sir

On behalf of Avenida Hotel, thank you for your comment because it´s very useful to have feedback from our customers so that we can implement and improve our service.

We hope your visit again in the Avenida Hotel

Hotel Manager
Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
Reviewed January 19, 2010

Our international organization travels to Maputo regularly -- totaling more than 100 nights per year. Historically, we spent a large portion of these nights at the Hotel Avenida given its location, etc. However, we will never use this hotel again.

On two occasions -- in only a span of 4 months -- our credit card information has been stolen by a staff person and resulted in a mess of fraudulent charges on our statements. Each time we have contacted the hotel manager -- with ZERO response. We'll never stay at the Hotel Avenida again. Never.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled on business
2 Thank internationaltrav79
Dear Customer

On behalf of Avenida Hotel, thank you for your comment, because it´s very important for the hotel having the feedback from our clients, and particular from your commentary because it´s very worrying.

The hotel never had any problems concerning the credit card information by the clients that used the hotel facilities; the hotel have internal and international procedures to use the client information and guarantee the private information. The hotel never has been legally informed about any credit card fraud.

We are concern about this matter, and I would like to contact you directly to see what can we do about it, because the hotel does not had any information about this subject, had never be called by the local authorities, or bank´s about the statements as your mentioned in your email. I´m sorry if wasn’t possible to speak with me, or any other department manager, I’m now (I know it´s been awhile) asking if you can help us, given your contact details, and booking information, because with that information we can see what may have happened.
Please contact me directly to my professional email; rfv@hotelavenida.co.mz

Thank you again, and I would appreciate your contact.

Manager

Travelers are raving about these Maputo hotels

USA
Reviewed September 27, 2009

As other reviewers have mentioned, the location of this hotel is ideal, and the rooms are clean and nicely appointed. It is the service here that is god-awful. The staff is a perfect storm of rude and incompetent. It took nearly an hour to convince someone that I needed to get a shirt ironed for my morning meeting and it progressed to the point where I was going to go down to the laundry room and do it myself before a solution could be found. Checking in and out was slow and tedious. And the food is so horrific that room service isn’t an option.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled on business
Dear Customer

I would like to thank you for your comment because it´s very useful to have feedback from our customers so that we can implement and improve our service.

It´s very important and useful hear the costumer because wiht the information we managed the situation and give the properly training programs to have and give the better services to our customers.

Thank you and I hope to see you in the future in the hotel Avenida to see our improvements

Maputo
Reviewed July 3, 2009

Most of the things are positive in Hotel Avenida. Located in the central part of the city of Maputo, near commerce and services. It has a good breakfast, although sometimes the cook is unavailable and the employers are distracted with little service when costumers are waiting for expresso, eggs, toasts, or even napkins. It is a very clean hotel, with caring personnel. The book available in the rooms should be revised in order to explain the hotel services in Portuguese and English. During my stay, I could not access the internet service and the television did not have any sound. One other aspect that sould be considered is the rooms that are provided, in the check in, if there is any possibility personel sould ask whether the client prefers the front or back rooms, because when I was in the hotel for about a month I did not had that choice and stayed in the back while beneficiation works where taking place just on the other side of the window. Never the less I enjoyed my stay and the services provided, as well as the sympathy of all personnel.

• Stayed January 2009, traveled on business
Dear Sir

On behalf of Avenida Hotel, we thank you for your comment, because having the feedback is very important for the hotel.

We hope your visit again in the Avenida Hotel

Nelspruit
Reviewed December 21, 2008

After submitting an email complaint to the Hotel General Manager directly and copied to Avenida Hotels info centre overseas, I am yet to receive a satifactory answer. Below is the email written on 30 November 2008 and the response received on 30 November and 2nd December respectively.

To date there has been no apology for their poor treatment.

Dear Mr. Rui Viegas,

I have never in over 20 years of travelling in Africa experienced such poor service and disrespect as I had at your hotel.

I have been to your hotel with two other guests, on no less than 4 occasions in the last two months. Our last visit to your hotel was on 23rd and 25th of November 2008. Our visit prior was on the 14th and 16th October 2008 respectively.

Both visits were arranged by my Client. My Client arranges many bookings into your hotel.

On checking in on the first occasion, we noticed other guests obtaining welcome drinks but nothing was offered to us. We further enquired regarding bill settlement as our client was supposed to have made the arrangement. Your reception showed us a letter from our Client that contained no reference to payment. We settled the bill for the 2 nights of the 14th and 16th.

Having experienced this mediocre service from your reception, we made a point with our Client to ensure there was no mix up again.

On visiting for the third time on 23rd, the following happened.

I checked in at 19h45 on 23rd. Your reception (a man I cannot remember his name) asked me for my passport. I said to him I have been to the hotel twice before in less than a month and should be in your system. (I know your system records names because once in Tivoli in Beira I was still on the system having been there a year prior). He then said I was not on the system and would have to give my passport. I said this is poor service for a 5 star establishment and then gave him my passport. I then asked him whether he had a letter from my Client as I wanted to check the payment arrangements. He said he did not have any letter and I would have to pay the bill myself. I said this was not correct and then he said to me no and started to argue with me. I then asked to see the duty manager and he did nothing until I eventually became angry and demanded to see the duty manager. He then phoned her (and I understand enough Portuguese to ascertain he was quite derogatory), was very loud on the phone, and afterwards said she was coming. Your reception made me wait for 15 minutes and then said to me she was busy and she said she would call me if I wanted to go out. Why did he not tell me this in the first instance. By this time I then asked to see you and he said you were out. I then asked him to give you and your duty manager a message that I required to talk with either of you.

Neither your duty manger or you have contacted me.

Eventually I had to contact my Client myself to contact your hotel to ensure the agreed arrangements were made. Needless to say this is a very poor service and is certainly not the behavior of so called 5 star establishments.

The following morning on checking out, all we had to do was sign the bill, so this means that our Client did make the arrangement. At the reception desk another guest from South Africa asked the reception if breakfast was ready as she had made an arrangement with the prior reception. It was 6h15 and your reception on duty said to her she must wait until 6h30 when the restaurant opens. Again observing this, it is very poor service. We then went to the restaurant at 6h30 and sat for breakfast. All the "hot food" was not hot but ice cold. This means your chef starting at 5am or whenever, does not utilise his Bain mare's effectively, hence cold food. This is certainly not 5 star service.

On returning to your hotel on the evening of 25th, we checked in, (again no welcome drinks), and a lady at reception asked to see our passports. I said we should be on the system and how many times do you want to see the same passport. Needless to say she said we are not on the system and she needs the passport. I eventually gave her mine and had to demand she copied it immediately so that I could go to my room. Again this is not the service of a 5 star hotel.

The following morning I checked out at approximately 6h10 and asked reception if I could get some coffee. After he noticeably looked at the clock on the wall he said to me to go to the dining room and see. Not very good service is it?

The only person in your hotel who was jolly and willing to help was your one kitchen staff (Domingos) on the morning of 26th. He went out of his way to get me a cup of coffee and even offered me the cold buffet even though the restaurant was not open.

In conclusion, the experience at your hotel has been appalling for a 5 star establishment and if this is the norm for treating guests I can only assume your establishment requires an enormous amount of re-training. In all matters your reception and staff, including your duty manager, should display a willingness to help guests. Your reception do not even bother to ask a guest whether they require assistance in arranging a taxi for them or whatever, or even offer some insight into Maputo.

For the price per room Avenida charges, the service is definitely not commensurate.

Reply on 30 November (automated computer reply)

Dear Sender,

Please be advised I'm out of the office on a business
For urgent matters please call my cell phone 00258 82 3015150
With best regards,

Reply on 2nd December

I would like to Thank you, about your communication, because is very useful to improve our services.

I will monitor the situation and give a response as soon as possible.

Best Regards,

Rui Viegas

In conclusion one can only assume there is little regard for guest satisfaction from this group of Hotels.

• Liked — Room comfortable
  • Disliked — TV did not work
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
3 Thank AfricaTravel14
HAvenida, General Manager at Hotel Avenida, responded to this review, September 17, 2015
Dear Costumer

We appreciate clients feedbacks about our services and facilities, whether positive or negative, because we always want to improve.

Hotel Avenida now is quite different compared to 2008. We regret your bad experience with us.
Your disappointment is not bigger than ours, trying daily to exceed guest expectations and keep the good name of Hotel Avenida has in the market.

On behalf of all the team thank you once again for you comment.

We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back to our hotel in future!

Kind Regards
London
Reviewed November 28, 2007

If you want somewhere central, clean and with standard modern amenities pick this hotel. Nothing remarkable, nothing hugely disappointing either. The reception desk isn't that helpful if you want to know about where to visit in Maputo, but otherwise everything is standard. If you have a choice, stay at the Polana!

• Stayed November 2007, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
HAvenida, General Manager at Hotel Avenida, responded to this review, September 16, 2015
Dear Jehoolie

I would like to thank you for your comment, because it´s very useful for the hotel receive the client’s opinions, to help to improve our services standards.

With training sessions our team is now better able to help our customers on the needs of everyday life. For example, rent a car, choose a local restaurants, where to buy national crafts, etc.

We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back to our hotel in future!

Kind Regards