“Excellent location, service and breakfast.”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Hotel Avenida

Hotel Avenida
Ranked #6 of 22 Hotels in Maputo
Chicago, Illinois
“Excellent location, service and breakfast.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 27, 2013

Avenida is a regular business hotel with excellent service!
The hotel is getting old and need some renovation. However, the location and level of service provided compensate the lack of modernization that you may face.
The breakfast is included on the rate and is great! Excellent variety of fruits, bakeries and hot food.
The gym is medium and is one of the best of the city with new and modern features, nice staff and a great view… inclusive they are open to general public
They have a nice spot on the top of the hotel with a small pool and a great view of the city.
Also the location of the hotel is excellent… close to the main restaurants of the city and a small shop and relatively safe for walking until early night.
Room rates are also around 260 dollars and a taxi for the JAT complex may cost you from 150 to 200 meticais.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
HAvenida, General Manager at Hotel Avenida, responded to this review, March 25, 2014
Dear Cristina,

I would like to thank you for your comment, because it´s very useful for the hotel receiving the clients opinions, to help to improve our services standards.

General Manager - Hotel Avenida

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
Nairobi
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 26, 2013

I travelled to Maputo on business and of course expected better service for the amount of money i was going to pay.
Avenida is a nice business hotel but needs to up their game and improve on everything all round, the hotel rooms carpets are old and need changing.
They are also very strict on cancellation no matter what you tell them.
Internet services given are for one laptop. Internet is also pretty slow
Meals are generally okay
A few staff speak English
Hotel has no views _ City view rooms are the worst

Room Tip: try the higher floors
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
HAvenida, General Manager at Hotel Avenida, responded to this review, October 19, 2015
Dear Bagengo

We sorry for inconvenience caused about what you should expect from our Hotel.

We updated the internet system and today we have a faster Internet service without no charge

We will do a renovation very shortly

3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 23, 2013

Hotel Avenida is a decent place to stay, but not the first choice in Maputo

I have stayed here a number of times in the last 1 and a half years.

It does have a great location.

Staff speak very little English which can become a problem.

Rooms are massive, but shower is integrated into the bath.

Views not great unless you stay on the top floor.

The food is not great, breakfasts take a bit processed although there is a good selection.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Rory A
HAvenida, General Manager at Hotel Avenida, responded to this review, October 26, 2015
Dear Rory,

Thank you for the comment regarding the Avenida Hotel services.
I regret if the experience was not as expected.

I would like to say that Avenida has a tremendous focus on training the Staff members. However I will share you disappointment to our staff members.

Johannesburg, South Africa
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 18, 2013

The hotel is a vry good hotel specifically for business travellers. The standard rooms are well decorated and fairly spacious. They have internet which is only valid for 8 hours. The breakfast was very good with a good choice of food enabling vegetarians & others to have a good start to the day. Their is a gym & a swimming pool. The staff are freindly. The shower/bath is a little bit narrow (600mm), so if your are a larger prson it is not very comfortable. the hot water has its own will power ranging from boiling to freezing at the same temp setting. They have a good selection of things in the bathroo,m which includes a razor, a nail kit, sewing kit etc. As as hotels in Africa the price is relatively high. As a business traveller this hotel should feature in your selection.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Dear Rainer,

Thank you for reviewing the Hotel.

Your feedback is very important to upgrade our client satisfaction.
Your comment will be shared to the members of our team

London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 7, 2013

Had some misgivings about this hotel as I normally stay at the Polana. But its a good location for business near restaurants etc. Also nice size room, good comfortable bed, good shower, good breakfast buffet and good service. Obviously not 5 start but then neither are the prices. I would recommend it if you are on a budget or don't like the pretentious Polano or overprices Southern Sun. Restaurant next door is really good with tasty inexpensive food and great service. Only negative was no mosquito repellent in room

Room Tip: Not on Main Street side
Dear Michael,
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel.

We appreciate your feedback We are very happy to hear that your stay was comfortable. Avenida Hotel is the most central hotel of Maputo.
Our prices are in the Average for a 5 Star hotel

Johannesburg
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 3, 2013

A very comfortable hotel but I'd rather equate it to a City Lodge in South Africa. Clean and comfortable with all the usual amenities. The usual array of goodies for the breakfast but nothing extraordinary. A nice little pub/restaurant next door to the hotel which makes for a more reasonable cost when it comes to eating and drinking. Pavement in front of the hotel very dirty. Hotel staff friendly but English lesson would be helpful.

Room Tip: I just find that a room closer to the elevator reduces the walk down the long passage.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
HAvenida, General Manager at Hotel Avenida, responded to this review, October 27, 2015
Dear Robert
Thank you for taking the time to review our Hotel.
I apologize if your expectation was not achieved. However Hotel Avenida is quite different compared to restaurant next door and the difference of prices reflects that
Hotel Avenida has a training program in English to provide a better conversation with our customers.
Your comment will be shared to the members of our team
Washington, D.C.
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 31, 2013

I stayed at this hotel for about two months. Its location is convenient, with a number of good restaurants next door. Overall the hotel is clean and professionally managed. There was a water leak in the ceiling of the corridor outside my room the whole time I was there; I was a bit surprised they never fixed it. Instead they just put a bucket there to collect the water.

Since there are restaurants next doors, other than breakfast I only ate at the hotel once. I had a sandwich which was OK but overpriced. The breakfast buffet is great, but I noticed how the staff informed another guest that you are not allowed to take photos of the breakfast. Don't ask me why.

The gym is quite good for a hotel, with friendly staff who will volunteer as your personal trainer pending the number of guests. I never tried the swimming pool, but it is small so if you come to Maputo to swim you may consider staying at another hotel (e.g. Polana or Indy Village).

The roof top gives you a great view of Maputo; worth visiting even for non-hotel guests.

The staff at the reception are nice, but are not too service minded. First they asked me to pay for my whole hotel stay when checking in, which is quite unusual. I have no idea what would happen if I’d paid and then decide to move out prior to the reserved time. Anyway, since I was staying for such a long period of time they said a preauthorization would suffice (!)

After a first few weeks I was asked to pay for the days I had spent at the hotel. Fair enough. However, I asked to continuously pay for my stay in tranches since I was using a debit card with a purchase limit of $5,000 per day, meaning I would not be able to pay for the entire stay when checking out. But for some weird reason the reception staff always found an excuse not to process my payments. During my last week at the hotel I returned to the reception every day to pay – explaining my situation – but they always asked me to come back the next day (either the system was down, was being restarted, the manager was not there, etc.). So, of course, when checking out I could not pay. Luckily I had transferred money to another account, meaning I could use another debit card for half of the sum.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank mounzo
HAvenida, General Manager at Hotel Avenida, responded to this review, October 28, 2015
Dear Mounzo,

Thank you for taking the time to review our Hotel.
I apologize if your expectation was not achieved.
Your comment will be shared to our team.

Unfortunately sometimes is very difficult to have some spare parts to repair maintenance issues in local market. We have to buy outside and wait for that.

About, the payment, I apologize for the inconvenience, it was very frustrating the entire situation. We change our procedures to ensure that will never happen again.