“Good enough hotel in Maputo”
Review of Hotel Avenida

Hotel Avenida
Ranked #5 of 22 Hotels in Maputo
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Good enough hotel in Maputo”
Reviewed August 19, 2011

This is ok hotel in Maputo, conveniently located (check out Mundos restaurant close buy) and rooms are quite big. The Bar is also nice as well as gym. However, overall room furniture is a bit outdated with old tube TVs.

Stayed November 2010, traveled on business
3 Thank Andrey_G
HAvenida, General Manager at Hotel Avenida, responded to this review, March 13, 2012
Dear Costumer

Thank you so much for your kind comments and we do appreciate your feedback about our service and facilities, so that we can implement and improve our service quality.

Hotel Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
Cape Town Central, South Africa
Reviewed August 6, 2011

Was on business in Moz during August 2011.

Stayed at the Avenida for one night after having booked out of the VIP Hotel which was pretty awful. The VIP is definately not a 5star, close to a 3 star. The Avenida is a 5-star hotel.

The Avenida is not cheap (US$360 rack rate or US$306 after haggling), but is a good hotel with all the amenities. Apparently there is a corporate rate which you can get which is a lot cheaper. The check-in staff were very good and I did not have to wait too long.

It has been recently renovated and is quite plush. Room was very nice but smelt of the toilet, I guess because of the Chinese designed plumbing.

Internet costs US$20 for 6 hours and is pretty fast. There is a network cable provided in the room which you can plug in.

Ordered room service which was pretty pricey and average.

Mini bar needs snacks for those late night working hours. It was empty except for 2 x bottles of water which I guess where included.

I liked the fact that they include handy toiletries in the bathroom. I had left my razor and shaving cream and tooth brush in SA. They had a complete set available in the bathroom.

Pillows where pretty lumpy and too thick. Should have asked for thinner pillows when I checked in.

They also charge for the airport shuttle which costs US$15. Was pretty hair-raising when the driver had to refill the tyre with air at 5AM in the morning on the way to the airport. Was happy I made the flight.

Would stay at the hotel again if I can get the corporate rate.

Room Tip: Stay on the 9th Floor.....Views are great
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank NATO-SA
Dear Costumer

On behalf of Avenida Hotel, thank you for your comment because it´s very useful to have feedback from our customers so that we can implement and improve our service.

To have a corporate rate, it’ is necessary to have an agreement between the hotel and the client company.

Waiting for welcome you in the next future.

Bergen, Norway
Reviewed July 25, 2011

I like the hotel - clean, neat, friendly, a great gym, nice breakfast. It's a good choice for Maputo. Yes, there may be better ones, but the prices will skyrocket (and this is already quite expensive). Internet is a bad deal, even though our company has arranged for it to be free for our guests (depends on how many of you visit). Not everyone is fluent in English, so you're better off speaking Portuguese. But all of these are minor issues. The location is good - a nice part of town, though not the downtown. Breakfast is excellent - loved it. I keep coming back to Avenida and I don't mind staying there at all.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled on business
Dear Costumer

Waiting for welcome you in the next future

Johannesburg, South Africa
Reviewed June 16, 2011

I have stayed at this hotel twice now - both extended stays, so I feel qualified to write a well-balanced review on the property.

**Pros**
Location: Centrally located in Maputo on a major street regularly serviced by taxi's. A few good restaurants nearby, as well as live music and a gelato shop.

Service: My primary language is English but I have sufficient Portguesse as well. This combined made for easy communication among most staff. They were generally happy to assist me and on a couple instances made exceptions such as faxing long distance and zero'ing out a couple items. $40 for a US-power conver - 100% refunded when I returned it. We had a power outage twice, and in both instances hotel emergecy generator seemed to kick which resulted in little impact to hotel guests.

Breakfast: Not all rates include breakfast, but mine did. It is a great way to start the day. Breakfast buffet is large with an assortment of hot and cold dishes, as well as (new) a small table for healthy choices. Enjoyed waking up to this each morning! The breakfast does not change from day to day (a drag if you are there for a while!).

Rooms: Clean and spacious, serviced daily. I've occasionally left a few items of slight value out and they never went missing (although I've heard other stories with less positive outcomes). The in-room safe is small, and doesn't even fit most laptops. Poor choice in safes! Beds are clean and comfortable. TV has about 15 channels, including a few U.S channels. Work area and full bathroom.

Fitness Center: Odd they don't market this more on their website. It is reasonablly good sized with a set of new free weights and good cardio equipment. The fitness staff are always ready to lend a helping hand. You can jog on the machines overlooking the Indian Ocean! The TV's are mounted at 90 degrees from the cardio machines, which makes them hard to watch. A small pool and sun bathing on the rooftop as well.

Security: There are at least two to three security present at all times. Much like security elsewhere in Maputo, not sure if they could do anything if a situation were to present itsself, but nevertheless may provide some comfort to hotel guests. An incident nearby the hotel some years ago prompted the hotel to increase their security presence.

**Cons**
I mentioned a few small ones above, but generally this hotel does not have energy to it. No excitement, no big events, nothing to jazz it up. Maybe that's great for most business travelers, but if you are leisure, you should at least consider the Cardosa and others.

Price: Someone mentioned the only thing 5-star about this hotel is the price. It really is expensive. Beyond the room rate, the restaurant food and/or room service is incredibly expensive - even to American standards. $27 for a chicken salad and coke light. The prices even went up during my stay to $31.Again, cheaper food options at nearby restaurants. Wash and fold is done by the piece - $3 for a pair of socks, $5 for a pair of jeans. These prices are alarming and are one of the first things I bring up in conversation with colleagues and friends.

Internet: On this return trip they bagan a $30 charge for internet access. This is for 24 hours of internet use; allows you to log on and logoff as needed. This compares to no charge on my previous trip. The internet is hard wired - no wifi in rooms, only in the business center.

Overall, the hotel is good in terms of service, safety and ammenities. Their (increasing) prices and lack of livelyness found at many other hotels i've stayed at stood out as reasons I might consider other properties in the future.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled on business
4 Thank Mike G
Dear Customer

I would like to thank you for your comment because it´s very useful to have feedback from our customers so that we can implement and improve our service.

It´s very important and useful hear the costumer because with the information we managed the situation and give the properly training programs to have and give the better services to our customers.
We give English training to our staff to have better approach with the clients.

We upgraded our internet connections, we now have wi-fi in the rooms, and in the bar we have on Friday’s night Jazz.

Thank you and I hope to see you in the future in the hotel Avenida to see our improvements

Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed November 24, 2010

This hotel really grew on me. I've stayed at Cardoso in the past which of course is really nice and has the great bay views. Avenida, in contrast, doesn't have much in the way of views, but is is located close to a lot of restaurants and banks, etc.

I really liked the staff--they were friendly, professional, without overdoing it. There is a fitness area but it closes at 9pm which isn't so great--I just ended up going up and down the 10+ flights of stairs for exercise. Overall the hotel is good, clean, has a good location, and rivals Cardoso in terms of my two top business stays. If you want more options on where to eat then Avenida beats it. If you want the ocean views and a swimming pool then Cardoso is ahead.

Stayed November 2010, traveled on business
1 Thank 730108Traveler
Dear Customer

I would like to thank you for your comment, because it´s very useful for the hotel receiving the clients opinions, to help to improve our services standards.

The gym schedule at the moment is 06.30 Am to 10.00 PM

Washington DC
Reviewed July 24, 2010

One of the few best hotels in Maputo. Close to shops and restaurants. Food is pricey but good. Buffet breakfast in included and is comprehensive. Rooms are clean and the hotel offers the usual services expected from a good quality hotel. Roof pool is good too.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled on business
Dear Customer

I would like to thank you for your comment; we appreciate client’s feedback´s about our services and facilities.

Somerset West, South Africa
Reviewed April 29, 2010

We booked clients into the Avenida in March 2010 and paid with our credit card. Shortly after their stay at the Avenida, our credit card was used for fraudulent transactions originating from Mozambique. This could be coincidence, but having read the other review about credit card issues at the hotel, we thought people should know.

Stayed March 2010, traveled on business
2 Thank ExpostaySA
HAvenida, General Manager at Hotel Avenida, responded to this review, July 21, 2010
Dear Sirs

On behalf of Avenida Hotel, I thank you for your communication, because it´s very useful for the hotel.

If you can send your contact information, so we can talk directly to verify these reservations, and see what may have happened. I would like to announce that the Avenida Hotel was not contacted directly about possible fraudulent transactions by your company.
Please send me an email to; rfv@hotelavenida.co.mz

Manager

Travelers are raving about these Maputo hotels