“Security Problems”
Review of Monte Carlo Hotel

Monte Carlo Hotel
Ranked #17 of 23 Hotels in Maputo
Reviewed July 26, 2011

No good to leave anything in hotel room. Valuable items will disappear. Manager do not care to our complain

Room Tip: Internet only in rooms close to elevator
  • Stayed: July 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank TrioRegister

Reviewed July 22, 2011

We were booked here since other hotels were full. They promised 5 star service, but the double room was small, the bed not queen size, we had to ask for a towel, lampside lamp was broken, no water boiler of coffee maker. No safe. Internet in the room did not connect.
We asked for a see view room, but the view was minimal and the morning noise from the street rather bad; not worth going for a view.
Room has an electronic door card lock and a small bottle of complimentary water. There is no international ATM nearby but there is a restaurant at some walking distance up hill.
The dip pool in front should not have the name of a swimming pool, and everybody from the street is at 2 meters looking straight into it. Anyhow, June is to cold to to go into the water.
The breakfast was resonable, but in general on the expensive side compared to alternatives.
The staircase is hung full of paintings. Down below is a commual computer for e-mail. An extra card can be purchased for higher speed internet.
Elevator can only be reached after some steps. Access from outside with many more steps.

Room Tip: Ask for a room at the rear since the front rooms are noisy.
  • Stayed: June 2011, traveled on business
2  Thank thuys25
Reviewed June 26, 2011

I did not stay, but passed there to visit a client on may and these 3 photos lately posted do not look like the same place. Someone should check it's reliability.

Stayed: May 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank maputotraveller
Reviewed May 12, 2011

U$320, MT4.200, MT600 worth cellular phone sheet and 5 new pens missing from my room. They were in a bag locked with a 3 digit number key. The cash money was hidden in a winter jacket kept in a laundry plastic bag at the bottom of this bag. Many international agencies are avoiding to reserve at this hotel for security issues. Wi-Fi service also very weak, not available in all rooms.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank flysky078
Reviewed April 19, 2011

I am long overdue in taking the time to write a review to warn fellow travelers to stay far away from this hotel. I had over $400 worth of electronics stolen from my room (I thought I had locked them up, but in my jet-lagged state perhaps I did not). As you may also notice on other reviews, management claimed to me they questioned staff about it but received no information and claimed there was nothing they could do. Considering that this is obviously an ongoing issue, I am extremely skeptical about that. I spoke to several other guests at the time who had colleagues who had also had things stolen at this hotel. I have stayed at many hotels in Africa and have never encountered an issue like this. I have had consistently better luck with my possessions in unsecured group dorm rooms than in this hotel.

My colleague who recommended we stay at the Monte Carol (as he had stayed there for years) noted that the quality of the hotel and the service had seriously deteriorated over the last few years, under new management. They eliminated the business centre, and the quality of the wireless internet was extremely poor on our visit. Management's answer? "Well I'm connected, see?". A couple more examples: after they did my colleague's laundry, they lost his pants and he had to stand there and complain for 20 minutes to get his pants back. My toilet ran and ran and ran - a guy came to fix it but he was unsuccessful and no-one else ever came back to fix it. The water would also go off every night - fortunately while I didn't need it - but you wouldn't have been able to flush the toilet or run any water during this time. No explanation or warning to guests was provided about this, and I don't know if this was temporary or what.

There are 2 positives to this hotel - the location is great, and considering everything else, I thought the breakfast spread was quite nice. However, my recommendation is to stay away, and if you must stay here, expect any valuables to disappear.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled on business
2  Thank DoTheyNotTravel
Reviewed April 18, 2011

I stayed at the Monte Carlo for two weeks. I arrived early morning on a Sunday and the room wasn't ready so I was offered an alternative room if I didn't want to wait. I looked at both rooms and decided to wait an hour until the booked room was ready, but then found that the safe wasn't working and couldn't be fixed until the next day. Decided to move to the other room. This room had poor wifi signal so moved to third room on second day, offered a bigger room which was great. No problems after that for two weeks except the intermittent wifi.

I found the staff and manager extremely helpful whenever I asked for anything. I pointed out the bad reviews that I had read on tripadvisor and wanted to make sure that my belongings would be safe. I had no problem in this respect whatsoever.

Location of hotel was reasonable, with short taxi rides to wherever I needed to go. A very handy Indian restaurant right next door, and a money exchange shop on the other side, although not the best rates. Hotel would not change any foreign exchange.

Breakfast at hotel was quite good providing that you arrived early, but not too early. Juices and fruit can run out if not early. Choices for lunch and dinner are limited if staying for long but OK for a day or so. Soups were good.

I would stay there again but would want to make sure that I could have a specific room rather than depend on pot luck on arrival.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed March 24, 2011

This hotel have a excelent organized group that sneek aroud your bags, shelves and closes. Watch out!
It is difficult to find a hotel for this price, but there is no meaning if you loose money robbed or if you can not feel safe to leave the room eaven during 20 minutes for breakfast.
I just happen to know that one of my college had his money and equipment robbed on this january.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled on business