Monte Carlo Hotel
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
  • Pool
View Hotel
Pestana Inhaca Lodge(Inhaca Island)
  • Breakfast included
See what travelers are saying:
FilterAll languages
Reviewed March 17, 2011

First off, many reviews have mentioned thefts from guest rooms. I was warned by my hosts to lock up any valuables and electronics, as previous staff staying here had seen iPods and cash "disappear." I didn't stay long enough for this to happen to me, but I thought I'd repeat the warning.

Second, the staff jerked me around badly. I arrived straight from the airport at 11 pm, told the desk clerk my name and waited while he "looked" for my reservation. He checked his computer and printouts quickly, announced that he did not see my name, then simply shrugged and went back to what he had been doing before I interrupted him!

Fortunately, my driver had a printout of my reservation. He retrieved it, the clerk examined it, *I* found it on his printout and pointed it out to him. He nonchalantly informed me that my reservation had been cancelled because I wasn't checked in before 6 pm. My host had confirmed with the hotel TWICE that I wouldn't be arriving until late and that they were to hold my room for me. They offered to pay a deposit in advance but were informed that that was unnecessary.

At last, they "found" me a room, not the kind that had been reserved for me, but one that would serve for a night until they could move me into my "real" room. I agreed cheerfully and took my bags (no one offered to help) to this room. There were markings for rooms 100-109 and 110-117, but I was in the impossible-to-find room 122. Finally, I made some inquiries, and someone walked me to the out-of-the-way door. The room itself was OK, the A/C was weak, but it would do for the moment.

I unpacked and undressed for bed and was just crawling into the sheets when there was a knock on the door. It was a manager explaining that this room could not be given to me as it was reserved. (Why this other guy gets his reservation held after hours and I don't was not explained to me.) I would have to move to a very small room. The good news is that the new small room was only USD $90 per night. I figured it would take less energy to pack my stuff and move than to argue, so I moved.

The A/C in the new room did not work at all. The bed was tiny and uncomfortable. At about 4:30 am, some construction crews began working loudly right outside my window.

I will say this one positive thing: the breakfast was pretty good. Not great, but quite decent.

I've stayed at a lot of hotels and guest houses in Africa. This is the one I wouldn't go back to if it were free. I checked out in the morning, moved to the Duqueza (lovely, and much better-located) and didn't look back.

Just say No to the Hotel Monte Carlo.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank JDB23x
Reviewed February 24, 2011

Maputo – Monte Carlo
I will try to be complete in this evaluation.
First the Monte Carlo Hotel claims to be a 5 star hotel at 3 star prices. They are half right; they are at 3 star prices.
The rooms are very small, more like a Dormitory room or a Hostel Hotel.
The beds are small twin size beds and my feet are at the end of the bed. If you are not all the way to the top of the bed your feet hang over.
Next the pillows are dirty and stained. They are in pillow cases but they are still stained.
The walls are not sound proof. You hear everything. It is not possible to sleep late during the weekend. The AC works sometimes.
The window in the bathroom is glass panes angled outward, not a solid pane. If you close the bathroom door the temp/humidity quickly rises to the outside temp. And all outside noises are heard loud and clear.
Every time you flush the toilet you have to jiggle the handle to prevent the toilet from constantly running.
Some rooms have a safe and some do not.
The towels in the room are often threadbare and when sometimes replaced with only one towel.
There is the problem with the staff going through your belongings.

The staff is responsive IF you find them and request service, but they do not help you if they see you need help. And they are not friendly. Not unfriendly but as if you are interfering with whatever they are doing.
A few of the staff member smile or greet you.

The café (I cannot call it a restaurant) is plain. The menu is limited and most of the time ½-2/3 of the items is not available. They run out of common drinks. The breakfast is very limited and if you are not there when they open, they run out of juice or food. If you are there on time they may not be set up yet and you will have to wait. The staff will wipe plates with their hands and open bags with their teeth.

Complaints to the hotel management about the staff going through your belongings are essentially unanswered. They will say that they investigated and the staff denies any wrong doing (surprise there). They will tell you that they have never had any problems before. So I asked to use his computer and opened the reviews on the hotel and ask him how can there be so many problems and this has never happened before. He could not answer me and was quiet.

I would advise anyone to spend a little more money and find a better place. I know I will.
This is a Hostel quality hotel way over priced for the quality or treatment you receive.
I would guess that the hotel staff has never seen a 5 star hotel or a 3 star hotel for that matter.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled on business
2  Thank vaman1949
Reviewed October 11, 2010

The Hotel itself are allright. Nice rooms beds and toilet. But don´t leave any valuables in your room when you are out on your own. When you come back, they might be gone. Some of the hotelstaff took 50 Euro i have hidden in my back as an ekstra reserve of money. My friend who slept in another room, lost his camera from the hotelroom. I saw other reviews with the same issue about theft from the rooms, and i will just advice people who plans to stay here, to be very carefull with theyre valuables in the hotelrooms.

Stayed: October 2010, traveled with friends
1  Thank ClausSt
Reviewed September 20, 2010

it stinks, the floor is full of giant stains, the sheets that once were white turned yellow, pillows full of dirt and stains, the whole place smells bad.
The only positive thing about this place is free wireless connection to internet

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed July 10, 2010

Often a clean hotel with reliably hot water is a good start. That is usually the hard part. Unfortunately, the Monte Carlo has achieved this, but falls short in many aspects important to business travelers. First, the restaurant, poor menu selection, less than good food and cold service. It feels more like a poor airport buffet restaurant than anything else, where quality doesn't matter because the clientèle is heading out of town.

This would be fine, but when travelling on business in cities like Maputo where it is not safe to walk down the street in the evening to grab a bite, access to a decent hotel restaurant meal is key.

Other annoyances, poor wireless signals in the room, breakfast buffet doesn't start until 7am and by 745a is out of many things, and no room service.

In Maputo, you can find better business travel accommodations. I would recommend you keep looking.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled on business