Hotel Cardoso
  • Room Service
  • Pool
  • Pool
View Hotel
All reviewssunset viewoverlooking the baygrand old hotelmaputo baypool areatop floorpublic areasvery nice hotelroom for improvementcomfortable stayseafoodbreakfast buffetenjoyed my stayvisiting maputofiammagymmozambique
FilterAll languages
Reviewed October 12, 2010

OK. I'm sitting in a towel surfing because for the 3rd night there was no shampoo or liquid soap left in the shower. The first night I just thought-heck I changed rooms for the better wireless reception on 1st floor. I've gone camping. Just use the hand soap. Didn't think twice.

The second night I called in past midnight to let the reception know it was the 2nd night that item that had been regularly replaced in my room on the 3rd floor had not appeared on the 1st floor. I also let them know that the phone's reception button did not work so I was forced to call the hotel's external number to get to the reception. Please replace the phone

This is my third night. My luggage will arrive tomorrow, a full 4 days after I arrived, and I had just decided to go work out. This means no extra soap or shampoo I might have packed. In the shower, I was forgetful enough to undress and found of course, no soap, no shampoo. I call reception from their external number again, and they transfer me to a number that then suggests I call 9. Whoever at 9 says they will drop some shampoo at my door, and 15 min later, I'm writing this review.

Small potatoes in the grand scheme of life, but let's just say service is not the strong point here, though one can tell good intentions are there. Otherwise, beatiful view, great breakfast buffet, cosy decour

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed August 27, 2010

I just read a few reviews and see some points that probably need updating. It is late August 2010 and I'm staying at Cardoso now, and there is a very good breakfast buffet (included in my room rate) and tons of staff in the restaurant. The internet connection is wireless--not the speediest but enough for an okay skype call. I am paying US$20 for 24 hours of internet, but that is 24 hours of actual use permitted over more than 40 days which works out to less than US$1/hour--I just disconnect from the hotel wireless when I'm done using it and it stops counting down--no need to call reception.

My room is on the ground floor which I don't like--I have to keep the shades drawn to feel any privacy and I also have tobacco smoke smell come into my room--either from the next room over or outside, not sure but probably outside.

My room wasn't ready when I first arrived which was frustrating as I'd been traveling for 2+ days and was sick, and I think they have had some other issues with making reservations. I think the hotel is probably overpriced though my company has a "deal" worked out with them. I found the restaurant to be very expensive for the lunch buffet--better to walk downtown to one of many restaurants than to pay that, plus the restaurant isn't open for dinner til 8.30pm which is way too late for someone on business travel.

The lobby area is clean and my room is clean and the grounds are kept very clean including the pool--it is not pool season but I see someone giving it a thorough cleaning every morning. I've had no problems with lack of professionalism with the staff though I mostly interact with the restaurant and lobby staff rather than management.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed July 27, 2010

We stayed here 1 night en route to Tofo Beach and then booked to stay again on our way back as we liked the hotel and it was so convenient. We requested a top floor room with views for our return and got a much superior room at the same price. But all rooms were good quality. Breakfast was excellent with lots of choices and the staff were very helpful. We didn't eat in the restaurant although friends told us it is well worth trying. We used the bar for snacks and light meals which were good.

The hotel has a garden cafe a short walk up the street and across the roundabout with lovely views across the estuary - well worth going to. The hotel appeared to be much used by business men and we noticed one or two young ladies in the bar, obviously it is something that is tolerated. That being said we felt quite at ease in the hotel and walking around the area in the daytime and into the evening. The main hazard is the state of the pavements.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled with friends
Reviewed July 16, 2010

We stayed at the Cardoso in March. Overall, it's a nice hotel. The recent renovations have greatly improved the hotel. Great views of donwtown Maputo and Maputo bay. Excellent breakfast buffet. Internet connection is slow. There are a couple of good restaurants nearby. We generally took cars to get there, but walked occasionally. Our main problem was the rain; one night it rained heavily and after a while water came through the ceiling. Unbelievable! But overall, we liked the Cardoso better than the Southern Sun because of its location and atmosphere.

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed July 5, 2010

This hotel is the worst hotel in Maputo and I would recommend the Southern Sun above Cardoso. Firstly the staff is incompetent from the deputy general manager to the porters. The first night they didn't reserve rooms for everybody in our party as was communicated to them. The 3rd night after returning from a restaurant, we were informed that we have been "relocated" to another hotel as there is a Chinese conference and they needed the rooms. Apparently we were informed of this, which was un-true. The worst part is that they (the hotel staff on so called authorization from the deputy general manager) went into the rooms, into the closets, bathrooms etc. and collected our stuff from the rooms without our consent and removed it to another room. If that is not invasion of privacy and a breach of human rights then I don't know what is. Again THE WORST HOTEL EVER!!!!

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled on business