“Very comfortable”

Ranked #4 of 22 Hotels in Maputo
Geneva, Switzerland
“Very comfortable”
Reviewed July 1, 2014

I stayed 9 days at the Cardoso in June 2014. Accomodation in Maputo can be very expensive for extremely limited value, while the Cardoso was also expensive but with very good value. The room was impeccable with a ridiculously comfortable bed and tasteful decoration. International cuisine at the Fiamma restaurant was exquisite and generously served. The garden and pool area were clean and attractive. Internet access worked well. There was a water shortage on one morning but this is Mozambique and people who cannot cope with that kind of problems should probably stay home.

2 Thank Montrealista
Pascal D, General Manager at Hotel Cardoso, responded to this review, July 16, 2014
Dear Guest,
Thank you for your time sending your feedback and to have chosen Cardoso Hotel for your last stay in Maputo.
We are delighted with your comments which encourage the team to do better everyday.
Please accept our apologies for the water shortage.
Regards
Pascal Demarchi

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (88)
  • Turkish first
Champaign-Urbana, Illinois
Reviewed June 30, 2014

Cardoso is a charming, beautiful hotel. I like that the rooms have terracotta tiles, not carpet. The service in the pool area could be more attentive, other than that I must say staff is well trained and polite. Quite a few speak English well enough.

I highly recommend the Cardoso but want to give a warning to all visitors to Maputo. The city feels very safe, especially the Polano area. But on my last day I was robbed. And this happened on the hill path close to Hotel Cardoso in broad daylight, albeit on a Sunday. Afterwards people told me that path isn’t safe – I wish someone had told me before, not after. The hotel should make it a policy to warn guests. I had spent nearly 2 weeks in Maputo and walked around the Polano area with a friend and alone many times and felt very safe (i.e., much safer than in Nairobi).
In any case, I was walking down the hill, about 50 feet down from the street. Someone was about 200 yards in front of me. Then someone came up from behind me and I thought he simply wanted to pass, so I stepped to the side. He held up a knife in his right hand and threatened me. He hissed at me in English that he would kill me if I don’t give him money. I was carrying my money belt with passport tucked into my jeans, with a long shirt over it. As I usually do I carried smaller amounts of cash in my jeans pocket. I gave him what I had, namely 50 MT. He kept repeating that I need to give him my money or he would kill me. So I pulled my smartphone, which I was carrying in my right hand side jeans pocket in a pouch attached with a string tied to my jeans (to prevent pickpocketing). He grabbed that and pulled on it. I started begging to leave it and I started screaming for help. He then cut the cord of the pouch and again said he wanted money. But I kept screaming and the young man who was in front of me started looking back and calling to people further below. And then the attacker ran off into the bush. Soon more people came to me from the base of the hill and a few from the top. There were several security guards among them, even with guns. But they didn’t exactly hurry after the attacker.

I limped back to the Hotel Cardoso, having seriously sprained my ankle at some point in the encounter. There wasn't much they could do, but I highly appreciated that the manager was sympathetic and listened to me. The hotel called the security company they work with. The security company drove me to the police station on Julius Nyerere (2 Esquadra Da PRM Cidade de Maputo). It took a long time but eventually an officer made a record of the incident and told me to come back the next day between 10-11 am (i.e., this morning) to get the inspector’s report. I did so, but nobody showed up.I went back at 12:30 pleaded to give me the report, since my plane was leaving this afternoon. Despite the language barriers I guess they somehow put up with my pestering and shortly before 1 pm I had the police report.

The loss of the phone is frustrating, more so the loss of the thousands of photos but I am very glad he took off into the bushes before doing physical harm or somehow getting my passport.

Among the lessons learned is that the first thing I’ll do next time I get to Mozambique is to make a copy of my passport and of the visa, then get the copies certified so I can walk around with copies, not the passport as such. And to download photos from a phone more frequently.

By the way, I had been thinking about walking along Friedrich Engels but now learned that that road is not safe, either

4 Thank ABBohn
Dear Guest,
Thank you for your comments you send following your stay at the Cardoso Hotel, I have well noted the point relating to the service.
I have read with great interest your experience on your last day for which I am sincerely sorry. I arrived as the new General Manager for the hotel few days back, I gave recommendation to to the security guards posted next to the park to possibly warn individual wanted to use this pathway.
Regards
Pascal Demarchi
Stockholm, Sweden
Reviewed June 30, 2014

This is a business hotel with a with a very nice colonial interior. The value for money is excellent I have never had any problems when staying there. Staff is consistently supportive and service minded. The rooms are clean and in a good state. I usually go for one of the rooms overlooking the pool area. Ceilings are high in them and the balconies provides a nice setting to enjoy an evening drink.
I have only stayed for business and the hotel provided all I needed, including reliable internet.
In terms of weaknesses, I thought that the evening restaurant was not on par with the quality of the rest of the hotel. The food did not live up to my expectations and prices where too high in relation to what you got. The noise levels from the corridors were at times, particularly in the mornings, a bit loud. But in all a nice place and it will remain my hotel of choice in the city.

Room Tip: The rooms overlooking the pool are great.
1 Thank Daniel E
Dar es Salaam, Tanzania
Reviewed June 24, 2014

I have been here for two days and it just keeps getting worse. No water for a shower on the first day, they just had too many guests and the water that did finally come out of the tap was as brown as dark mud. I took a glass of it down to the front desk and they were like "ok, thanks for letting me know". We waited hours to get our room, the food is terrible (dry, cold, buffet) and the service all over the place is bad. The room service is terrible with a limited menu and everyone is like some old sourpuss. Haven't seen a smile since I arrived. There are many better hotels; recommend going elsewhere. Oh, I forgot, when I first went to my room, housekeeping had taken the soap that someone had used and put it back in the box. It was soaking wet and clearly had been used before. So disgusting.

Room Tip: Try to get a bay facing high floor if you can't stay somewhere else.
2 Thank Karen H
Hazyview, South Africa
Reviewed June 9, 2014

Unfortunately we missed the boat for our transfer to Machangulo Beach Lodge and had to overnight in Maputo. The Hotel was booked for us by Machangulo.
A very nice and neat Hotel which unfortunately had a wedding party with loud music until late.
We had a sea view room with a fantastic view over the Marina and Bay.
The breakfast was very good with a wide variety of breads, rolls, cheeses, cold meats and hot breakfast as per your wish. We did not make use of any other facilities of the Hotel.
A pleasant stay and we can recommend the Hotel.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Grass Valley
Reviewed June 7, 2014

The rooms are fine although you can hear what goes on next door, if you don't have the air conditioner on. The staff are really very friendly and helpful. And the view is just fabulous - very relaxing.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view to the sea.
Reviewed May 30, 2014 via mobile

The views are awesome but the service is very average. I requested for the laundry people to iron my shirt, they brought me an ironing board and told me to do it myself. I asked for coffee at the restaurant during breakfast, the waiter told me to get it myself. Next time,I will stay at the Polana or Raddison, the service is much better.

Stayed May 2014, traveled on business