“Bug infestation -- not the kind you want!”

Jacaranda Guesthouse
Jacaranda Guesthouse
Ranked #30 of 41 Maputo B&B and Inns
Arusha, Tanzania
“Bug infestation -- not the kind you want!”
Reviewed November 4, 2013

I stayed here a few weeks ago and had TWO bad pest experiences.

First, I ordered a dish at the restaurant, and it was served to me full of dead ants. This wasn't one or two ants that could have crawled into the bowl, but 50+ dead ants swimming in sauce. When I took it back to the kitchen, the cook tried to tell me they weren't insects but some sort of spice. But you could distinctly see their little ant bodies and legs. The manager agreed with me.

Second, I thought I felt something crawling on me in bed, but dismissed it the first night as paranoia. But after night 3, I was certain -- my bed was full of fleas. The fleas got into my bags and came home with me to Tanzania, and I now have a flea infestation on my hands at home. We have to get the whole house sprayed.

So in summary, if you don't like eating or sleeping with bugs, I suggest you find somewhere else to stay.

Stayed October 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Reviewed October 18, 2013 via mobile

We went to Maputo on business trip and really enjoyed this guesthouse. The location is very convenient and quiet, the rooms simple but definitely up to European standards and very clean. We had no issue with water pressure as reported by other reviewers, and found hot water. Internet connection available and working. Nice breakfast and very friendly staff. Only advice, a kettle for tea and coffee in the room.

• Stayed October 2013
Manica
Reviewed October 15, 2013

If you compare this with similar price range accomodation in Tete for example, you will see what good value this place is. The rooms are spotless, beds have good quality linen and most importantly, the pillows are good.The staff are helpful, but it would a good idea for them to learn a little more English.
The breakfast although fairly limited is fresh and tasty.
The place is within easy walking distance from good resturants, banks and shopping. There are no noisy discos within earshot. If I need to stay in Maputo again I will have no hesitation in booking once more.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Paris, France
Reviewed May 12, 2013

Not so easy to write a review on this place... What is funny enough is that I just had a look at the website, and I couldn't recognize it! It is not a very bad place, it is not good either, it is actually just OK. Which is a pity, because there is so much potential!
All in all, I guess could stay there again, but it wouldn't be my first choice either (I had to spend some more days in Maputo after I staid at Jacaranda Guesthouse for business and I looked for other places, but those were actually worse ... even though they are better ranked on Tripadvisor).

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Pietermaritzburg, South Africa
Reviewed March 7, 2013

I echo the sentiments of previous reviewers - this establishment is relatively new and had so much potential to be a strong competitor on the Maputo guesthouse scene. But facilities are poorly maintained and the staff is totally disinterested. When I arrived one of the shower door handles was on the floor in the bathroom - it has remained so for the duration of my stay. The water pressure in the shower is actually insufficient for it to be reasonably called a shower - it is literally no more than a drip (and no hot water), yet when I queried it with reception they told me that is how it should be. The TV doesn't work, the safe in the room is locked, and the batteries in the aircon remote died, and reception was unable to provide new ones (it was on at the time - which I suppose was more comfortable than being off - but I did end up being chilly all night). I asked on the first morning about their advertised laundry service - but they told me it takes 72 hours (?!) Seeing as I needed a shirt washed by the next day, I then requested a plug in order to use the sink - that was also not possible, nor was my (third choice) request to borrow a bucket. I am writing this review in the hotel's bar/restaurant area at 11.43am - it is completely deserted. Yet I was just asked to move from one table to another (with all my work materials etc) so that the guy could position the seats (which I presume he is going to have do after I leave any table). As mentioned by previous reviewers, the acoustics in the building seem to augment noise, and so it is very, very noisy (this actually bothered me the least, though, since I read previous reviews and came prepared with earplugs). The only redeeming factor - and one which prompted me to give 2 stars rather than 1 - is that the (new) bed was very comfortable.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank FrequentTravellerKV

Travelers are raving about these Maputo hotels

Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed December 7, 2012

This guesthouse has a lot going for it. Clean and comfortable rooms, nice staff, decent breakfast. I rated it 3 stars rather than 4 (and resent the fact that the ratings jump from Average to Very Good, skipping Good) because there was very low water pressure in the shower, because I couldn't get internet to connect in my room (though that might have been my computer which gets stubborn at times), and because the bathroom, though functional and clean, was not 4-star worthy. I wouldn't hesitate to stay there again, but it wouldn't be my first choice either.

Stayed December 2012, traveled on business