“Great stop over”
Review of Blue Anchor Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Maputo
Blue Anchor Inn
Ranked #7 of 43 Maputo B&B and Inns
Reviewed April 17, 2013

Stopped over on the way back from vilanculos , pleasantly surprised by the quality of the rooms, food and hosts. Would recommend blue anchor to anyone traveling through Mozambique. Prawn curry was particularly good! Aircon in rooms and wide mosquito nets over beds. Everything you need.

Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank HermanS752
There are newer reviews for Blue Anchor Inn

Reviewed April 8, 2013

Stayed one night at Blue Anchor en route to Inhambane for a wedding. Conveniently located about 30minutes outside Maputo, this is definately the place to stay. Their accommodation is top notch, clean and beautiful. The food was fantastic, especially the local bread (Pao in Portuguese). Staff and management at the Lodge are super friendly and made us feel so welcome. Will most certainly stay at Blue Anchor again should we have to drive up to Inhambane again. ONLY minor criticism is no coffee stations in the rooms, so waking up early and needing a cup of coffee we were left craving.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed February 20, 2013

A good stop over point. We stayed here on our way back to South Africa for only 1 night. It was very convenient as it is situated right next to the main road. The food is good and inexpensive. the rooms were comfortable and the aircon worked. It was so hot outside but the rooms was lovely and cold inside.

Its not a place for a holiday but it is good for travelers looking for a cheap and clean stop over point.

Room Tip: it is about 60Km north of Maputo just off the main road to the north of the country.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed February 14, 2013

We stayed here on our way up to Bonito Bay this last December. the food was good, the service was also nice and the rooms were comfortable, affordable and best of all air-conditioned.

We will always make this our stop over point in the future.

Room Tip: Book early. They are very busy in season.
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed January 5, 2013

This is the best place to stop at if you're heading north or south, the food is good and the owners Paul and Liz are great hosts and very knowledgable about the country and the rules.

I would definitely stay there and have another whiskey with Paul again.

Pity they were booked for our retun trip.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank BluffyBoy
Reviewed December 26, 2012

We needed a stop over in Maputo and were recommended this Inn by our final resort and by the reviews I read. It was extremely dissapointing. The problems were based on the actual venue and the service we experienced. When I made my booking I made it clear that it was our first visit to Moz and that I was travelling with my kids so any advice would be welcome. When we arrived at Maputo tollgate we experienced the start of a traffic jam which took 8 hours to cover 6 km. we contacted the lodge and informed them we were running late and asked for any assistance with directions or alternative routes etc. They could not help. An hour later we called to ask what time the restaurant would close and could they prepare something for us or advise us where to go etc, they could help either. We finally arrived at 03:00 in the morning to a Inn that did not have any power due to local issues. This I can understand and accept, what I cannot accept is that the management were aware of this power failure since much earlier and did not even leave a candle in the room for us. They told us that they left a letter with the keys, but I can't read in the dark....and once I have arrived it doesn't really help. They had our contact details and what really bothered me was that they were also aware of the traffic jam and could have easily given us an alternate route which we found out about the next day from other travelers. The rooms were however comfortable but not worth the cost. We barely managed to wake up before the required 09:00 am checkout, and had to ask very politely if breakfast could be stalled a bit as we had not eaten since lunch the previous day. The breakfast was pretty good though. I don't like giving poor reviews and I have travelled to many places here and abroad but I was very unhappy. The attitude is wrong....and we spoke to the owners not some new receptionist etc. It's not the lodges responsibility to give me alternate routes or keep food, that I understand but they could have very easily assisted and their advice and recommendations would have made it much easier for us. They should have left candles in the room and they could have told us the extent of thentraffic issue as they confirmed their knowledge of this from other guests. I don't think it would have been too much of an inconvenience to make a few sandwiches as a gesture....I would have gladly paid for this. I will never visit here again.

Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed October 24, 2012

I have been stopping over @ Blue Anchor since 2009 and found it to be the best stopover in Maputo. The prices are spot on and food and bar facilities are of top quality and the beds offer you a good nights rest. Early morning departures are no problem and the hospitality of the highest ever. Well done to Lizz and co for my 'home' away from home while I am traveling in Mozambique.

Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends