“Well located”
Review of Blue Anchor Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Maputo
Blue Anchor Inn
Ranked #6 of 41 Maputo B&B and Inns
Germiston, South Africa
“Well located”
Reviewed January 5, 2013

This is the best place to stop at if you're heading north or south, the food is good and the owners Paul and Liz are great hosts and very knowledgable about the country and the rules.

I would definitely stay there and have another whiskey with Paul again.

Pity they were booked for our retun trip.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank BluffyBoy

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Durban, South Africa
Reviewed December 26, 2012 via mobile

We needed a stop over in Maputo and were recommended this Inn by our final resort and by the reviews I read. It was extremely dissapointing. The problems were based on the actual venue and the service we experienced. When I made my booking I made it clear that it was our first visit to Moz and that I was travelling with my kids so any advice would be welcome. When we arrived at Maputo tollgate we experienced the start of a traffic jam which took 8 hours to cover 6 km. we contacted the lodge and informed them we were running late and asked for any assistance with directions or alternative routes etc. They could not help. An hour later we called to ask what time the restaurant would close and could they prepare something for us or advise us where to go etc, they could help either. We finally arrived at 03:00 in the morning to a Inn that did not have any power due to local issues. This I can understand and accept, what I cannot accept is that the management were aware of this power failure since much earlier and did not even leave a candle in the room for us. They told us that they left a letter with the keys, but I can't read in the dark....and once I have arrived it doesn't really help. They had our contact details and what really bothered me was that they were also aware of the traffic jam and could have easily given us an alternate route which we found out about the next day from other travelers. The rooms were however comfortable but not worth the cost. We barely managed to wake up before the required 09:00 am checkout, and had to ask very politely if breakfast could be stalled a bit as we had not eaten since lunch the previous day. The breakfast was pretty good though. I don't like giving poor reviews and I have travelled to many places here and abroad but I was very unhappy. The attitude is wrong....and we spoke to the owners not some new receptionist etc. It's not the lodges responsibility to give me alternate routes or keep food, that I understand but they could have very easily assisted and their advice and recommendations would have made it much easier for us. They should have left candles in the room and they could have told us the extent of thentraffic issue as they confirmed their knowledge of this from other guests. I don't think it would have been too much of an inconvenience to make a few sandwiches as a gesture....I would have gladly paid for this. I will never visit here again.

Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed October 24, 2012

I have been stopping over @ Blue Anchor since 2009 and found it to be the best stopover in Maputo. The prices are spot on and food and bar facilities are of top quality and the beds offer you a good nights rest. Early morning departures are no problem and the hospitality of the highest ever. Well done to Lizz and co for my 'home' away from home while I am traveling in Mozambique.

Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank Tikas V
Pretoria, South Africa
Reviewed September 17, 2012

Good accomodation. My family and me stayed for two nigths in September. The room was spacious and comfortable, the security is eccellent: can park your car with all the luggages in complete peace of mind. The dinner was good, but not cheap, and also the staff (always supervised by the owners) really friendly. A good stopover before to leave for the north of Mozambique.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Johannesburg, South Africa
Reviewed April 8, 2012

We stopped as usual on our way from Vilankulos to South Africa and it was good to enjoy a dip in the pool, a few drinks and a great home cooked meal after a long hot journey. (The soups are great.) Thanks to Lizzy and Co for great service.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
Durban
Reviewed February 14, 2012

A big thank you to Liz for such a special place. Rooms were simple, clean, and air conditioned. Food was superb. As a special touch a flask of coffee was prepared to help us with our 4am start the next day. Looking forward to staying there during all future trips to and from Mozambique.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Diana C
psbbank
Reviewed December 23, 2011

Most guests here are travelling further North in Mozambique, however what a lovely place to stop. The chalet is really comfortable, clean and secure. The food and drink are good too. Left the next morning both happy and refreshed. Highly recommended

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple