“Try elsewhere first”

Hotel Africa Business
Ranked #11 of 23 Hotels in Maputo
Reviewed November 23, 2013

There are probably worse places you could stay, but I wouldn’t really recommend this one. Granted, this is Maputo, which is in a country recovering from a civil war. But, it’s very expensive for what you get (we paid US$133 per night, bed and breakfast).

Positives? It’s about 2km from down town, and not so far from Julius Nyerere Ave where all the better hotels and nice restaurants are. And at least you feel safe to walk around at night, and there are a couple of nice(ish) restaurants in the area. The hotel itself has a restaurant, which is ok, but not great, either with regards to the food or the price.

The hotel has no amenities – no gym, no pool, etc. The rooms were ok – two single beds, and seemingly no option for a double instead. At least there was aircon, which worked well. But there were no adaptor points for foreign plugs, nor could the hotel provide any. But unlike another reviewer, we had no problems with lack of running water.

Breakfast was so-so. At least there was yoghurt, cereal and a bowl of fruit salad, but the cooked part was disappointing. The scrambled eggs looked (and tasted) like they were made from powder eggs, and on the day I dared to try them, the fried eggs were inedible.

The service was friendly, with one exception – and that improved once I asked for his name, and called for the manager.

Would I recommend it? Not really. Overall rating? A generous ***.

Room Tip: Rooms on higher floors give a better view, though the lifts are slow.
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business
4  Thank NautieZA

Reviewed May 31, 2013

This hotel is fine for a one night, two max, stay. The rooms are very IKEA styled but very clean. They are quite spacious with a sizable en-suite. Be up pre 7 for a decent shower or you need to be in and out before the hot water runs out. Internet is not bad but not cheap. The restaurant has a limited menu and the quality not up too much on the one meal that I had. There is a Mimmos restaurant just 100m away. The breakfast was acceptable. There is no bar but you can get a drink at Mimmos. There is no pool, gym or any other luxuries, hence the short stay advice. There is nothing available at weekends other than to go out and about. Definitely not a hotel for a holiday break. That said it is functional and clean and could be a good option for a short stay dependent on the rate you can get it for.

Room Tip: Keep to the lower floors as the lift is too slow to wait for
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank WiganYosser
Reviewed April 8, 2013

i have stayed several times in Maputo and this hotel is well run,efficient staff and service. Good breakfast and they accomodate requestes like special tea and omletts. Bath/shower is good and functional. Room safe is good to have. The lifts are very poor and slow so be prepared to walk up/down and good luck if you are on the top floors. Laundry service is good.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed February 18, 2013

Their weekend buffet is weak. For the amount you pay, you would rather eat out. Food of the menu is good. No alcohol!!!!(very vexxing coz they have fridges in the room). Breakfast isn't half bad.
The rooms are nice. The fittings could do with a bit of work, loose n all that. Not bad really.
Elevator is clunky.
Internet is quick. Provided by a third party.
No room service - not really a problem.
Considerate enough to place 3-point british system sockets in the room.

Room Tip: View the rooms before you choose.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed February 17, 2013

I stayed at Hotel Africa for two days, and will NEVER stay there again.
I'll start with the good points, because to be honest, there were some: The internet was excellent. The first 250MB were complementary, after that you had to pay. The rooms were clean, although on the small side. The bathroom was fully stocked with all essential toiletries. And the breakfast selection was pretty good. That's it!

Now I'll move on to the bad, starting with a few small things: The elevator is painfully slow. You're best bet it to take the stairs. The tv had poor reception. You couldn't watch anything clearly. The bathroom smelled of sewage and made the whole room smell. The lobby also smells of smoke. There is a smoking room near the front door to the hotel, but for some reason it doesn't have a DOOR to it. Ummm, duh?
Now the biggie: The night before I was supposed to check out at 7am, I tried to open the room safe to take out my passport and money and it said "ERROR too many attempts" and wouldn't open. Too many attempts? That was Attempt #1. Did someone else try their luck at punching in a few numbers...? I was able to access it for two days without any problems, so what happened??

So i call the reception. Can she send someone to help me open the safe. It's 9pm. No, not possible The hotel manager went out & she didn't know when he was coming back. AND she doesn't have his cell number. AND there is no one else on duty so i have to wait until he gets back. AND It's Fri night. Only God knows when he's coming back. So i ask her how i can make a call (to a friend). She tells me that you CAN'T make calls out of the hotel. Only between rooms. Are you kidding me? What do you do in case of an emergency? You can't call out, you can't get a hold of the Mgr, you can't even get a taxi or order a pizza. I tell her my ride is coming at 7am the next AM to take me to the airport. I'm leaving Moz and need my passport and money.

I call Reception again at midnight. Still no Manager. My colleague calls at 2am. Still no Mgr. I call at 3:30am, the Manager returned but he doesn't have a key. Some other guy has the key. They'll call him in the AM. He lives far away. I wake up at 530am. Panicked. I need my passport to leave. I make them call the guy with the key.

It's totally unacceptable. You don't have a key on the premises, the Mgr can't be reached in case of an emergency, and guests can't make calls out. That's not how you run a business. It took the guy TWO hours to get to the hotel. FINALLY the guy shows up around 745am and they are able to get the safe open. (Keep in mind I was supposed to leave for the airport at 7am!) After getting my stuff, I raced to the airport and thank God made my flight.

The hotel Manager didn't seem to care. My company provides a lot of business to this hotel. I told someone from my company about the incident and they told me that very recently a colleague of ours got MONEY stolen from her room at this same hotel. But my company met to discuss and we will NO LONGER be using Hotel Africa for our business.

If you stay here, it's at your own risk.

Room Tip: To choose a good room, you'd have to choose another hotel.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
5  Thank Melssel
Reviewed December 7, 2012

This is clearly a new hotel. The decor in the rooms is sort of ikea-like, the internet (which you have to pay for) is _excellent_--the best I've experienced anywhere in Maputo so far (you pay a fixed rate for a certain number of MB so I'm sure that cuts down on demand for bandwidth). The restaurant is good (for breakfast, haven't had other meals there). I have two negative points on the hotel: One is that if you're staying there for a fixed period of time and arrange things to your needs, the staff re-arranges them back to the hotel standard every day. That gets annoying. The second thing is a larger concern--for all the new tile, wall paint, etc. the hotel feels really cheap. They did the shower so it has a half-wall (vertical, glass) and no door or curtain so tons of water runs out onto the floor when I shower. A door closing down the hall makes my walls shake, noise carries through (why do the people in the room above me have to constantly drag their chairs across the floor at night?), and a big gust of wind actually made my room move. I'm on the 4th floor above ground and we had a pretty normal wind/rain storm come through and my room actually moved and like I said, that worries me. I have no idea if this hotel was built to good building specifications.

Stayed: December 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed November 23, 2012

just one of the staff i dealt with was pleasant - the rest were unhelpful and inefficient. the room was stuffy and smelt of bad drainage, the shower worked only on scalding hot or weak dribble and restaurant was bleak. i will make sure i stay elsewhere in future. oh - and the stairs are much faster than the lift.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business