“Nice place, poor service”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Maputo
Duqueza de Connaught Guesthouse
Ranked #24 of 48 Maputo B&B and Inns
Reviewed January 14, 2012

I agree with the other reviews that this B & B is in a great location and the room was really nice with a canopied bed and a balcony. The lobby area is beautiful. My issue is with the service (or should I say lack of service). The lady I'd been communicating with didn't stay on-site and would show up now and then. I wanted to book some local tours and get an idea of what activities there were. The lady at reception pretty well ignored me. No one spoke English and my attempts at communication got me nowhere. They called the owner who showed up briefly in the evening to help me out. I accept that you can't always expect English speaking people in Africa but....this is a tourist B & B. I've stayed at places all over the world and this was the worse service I've had. The other negative is the price - pretty expensive.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled solo
1  Thank Sanspen

Reviewed November 10, 2011

Its not easy to find a good accommodation in Maputo. This place was a pleasant surprise with reasonable price. Breakfast is nice too, even though if you dont speak portuguese you dont always get what you want! Internet a bit pricy!

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed September 21, 2011

I must after driving to Maputo via Matola i did not know what to expect but i have to tell you i thoroughly enjoyed my stay at Duqueza. In fact one of my best nights in Maputo was in the hotel. Friendly staff. Great rooms and right on the doorstep of a busy julius Nyerere. The big balcony in my room overlooking the street was awesome with some 2M. I loved it my lady loved it and i would definitely recommend it. Ask for room 2 if you can. Obrigado!!!

Room Tip: Room 2 i tell you. If they put two chairs and a braai stand on that balcony you have a 100% winner.
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Tsokolo
Reviewed September 19, 2011

What a gem! Duqueza is definitely the place to stay when visiting Maputo. Centrally located, it not only offers clean and beautiful rooms, it also provides a great place to unwind after a hectic day around the city.

• Stayed: September 2011
1  Thank Thabz
Reviewed September 6, 2011

I have had the privilege of spending quite some time in Maputo, Mozambique so have stayed at a few places but this has got to be the best! The room is spacious, comfortable and the bathrooms were clean and towels fresh. Breakfast is continental but more than enough for a hungry man in the morning. Aircon and mosquito net provided. It is centrally located and safe with 24 hour security provided. The attention to detail and brilliant photography in the public areas of the guesthouse truly provides a local flair without compromising on any of the luxuries one would expect from a Guesthouse. The staff are attentive and friendly which has made this my place of choice to stay whilst in Maputo. Thank you so much to the team for making our stay memorable!

Room Tip: We stayed in room 2 which has its own balcony to relax and take up the vibrance of the city below!
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Nikki G
Reviewed August 29, 2011

I decided with my boyfriend to organize a trip in Mozambique for our anniversary last september '10, so we looked for a nice and quiet place to stay and have a good time. We chose the GuestHouse "Duqueza de Connaught" because it's close to the center of Maputo, it offers many services (like TV, internet and a swimming pool), it's surronded by a lot of trees, it's very clean, tidy and easy to reach it. We recommend it to everyone who want to spend a wonderful time in Maputo (one of the best and suggestive city in the world) ...

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Amanda L
Reviewed August 10, 2011

So I have to stay that I never stayed at this B&B because the staff overbooked and sold my room. But the place is really quite nice in a really good area, which is why I had picked it.
Last Tuesday I entered the B&B and spoke directly to a staff member to make a reservation for the coming Friday. I was told that they did have a room and would confirm the next morning. By the afternoon I had still not heard back so I called myself. I was told the room was available and I was confirmed to stay. On Friday I arrived at the hotel at check-in time to find that they had sold my room to someone else. According to them, one of the staff members had not passed along my message of confirmation so they had overbooked. So I was stuck in the lobby with all my baggage and no room to take it to. I was told that they would try to call around and find me a room nearby but that I could not stay there. It was a holiday weekend in South Africa so everything was booked (I had previously gone around calling before arriving at the B&B in person). Not only did the staff not understand that I did not want another hotel because I had already selected that one but they proceeded to beg me not to tell their management.

In the end I was able to contact a friend in Maputo and ask if I could stay at her place but I cannot imagine what would have happened if I was a traveler completely unfamiliar with the city. It would have been almost impossible to find a place that was either affordable or in a good area. So I left with the staff calling after me, repeating their request not to tell the management of their mistake. Their lack of professionalism and efficiency is totally unforgivable. It is such a nice hotel and such a shame that the staff is so unprepared to handle even the simplest tasks.

Stayed: August 2011, traveled with friends