“A home away from home in a bustling city”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Maputo
Duqueza de Connaught Guesthouse
Ranked #17 of 41 Maputo B&B and Inns
“A home away from home in a bustling city”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 19, 2011

What a gem! Duqueza is definitely the place to stay when visiting Maputo. Centrally located, it not only offers clean and beautiful rooms, it also provides a great place to unwind after a hectic day around the city.

• Stayed September 2011
1 Thank Thabz

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Johannesburg, South Africa
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 6, 2011

I have had the privilege of spending quite some time in Maputo, Mozambique so have stayed at a few places but this has got to be the best! The room is spacious, comfortable and the bathrooms were clean and towels fresh. Breakfast is continental but more than enough for a hungry man in the morning. Aircon and mosquito net provided. It is centrally located and safe with 24 hour security provided. The attention to detail and brilliant photography in the public areas of the guesthouse truly provides a local flair without compromising on any of the luxuries one would expect from a Guesthouse. The staff are attentive and friendly which has made this my place of choice to stay whilst in Maputo. Thank you so much to the team for making our stay memorable!

Room Tip: We stayed in room 2 which has its own balcony to relax and take up the vibrance of the city below!
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Nikki G
Oxford, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 29, 2011

I decided with my boyfriend to organize a trip in Mozambique for our anniversary last september '10, so we looked for a nice and quiet place to stay and have a good time. We chose the GuestHouse "Duqueza de Connaught" because it's close to the center of Maputo, it offers many services (like TV, internet and a swimming pool), it's surronded by a lot of trees, it's very clean, tidy and easy to reach it. We recommend it to everyone who want to spend a wonderful time in Maputo (one of the best and suggestive city in the world) ...

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Amanda L
San Diego
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 10, 2011

So I have to stay that I never stayed at this B&B because the staff overbooked and sold my room. But the place is really quite nice in a really good area, which is why I had picked it.
Last Tuesday I entered the B&B and spoke directly to a staff member to make a reservation for the coming Friday. I was told that they did have a room and would confirm the next morning. By the afternoon I had still not heard back so I called myself. I was told the room was available and I was confirmed to stay. On Friday I arrived at the hotel at check-in time to find that they had sold my room to someone else. According to them, one of the staff members had not passed along my message of confirmation so they had overbooked. So I was stuck in the lobby with all my baggage and no room to take it to. I was told that they would try to call around and find me a room nearby but that I could not stay there. It was a holiday weekend in South Africa so everything was booked (I had previously gone around calling before arriving at the B&B in person). Not only did the staff not understand that I did not want another hotel because I had already selected that one but they proceeded to beg me not to tell their management.

In the end I was able to contact a friend in Maputo and ask if I could stay at her place but I cannot imagine what would have happened if I was a traveler completely unfamiliar with the city. It would have been almost impossible to find a place that was either affordable or in a good area. So I left with the staff calling after me, repeating their request not to tell the management of their mistake. Their lack of professionalism and efficiency is totally unforgivable. It is such a nice hotel and such a shame that the staff is so unprepared to handle even the simplest tasks.

Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank dnavarro12
Cape Town Central, South Africa
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 30, 2011

As Hotels become more and more expensive in Mozambiques Capital it is great to find an affordable option that is stylish, clean, WiFI equipped, comfortable and well located for meetings in the city. Unfortunately the staff seem somewhat disinterested but once through the casual check in process things get better and the included breakfast is relatively good as well . Think more boutique lodge that international business chain hotel and you shouldn't be displeased.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled on business
Kalamazoo, Michigan
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 17, 2011

Moved to this lovely spot from the appalling Monte Carlo Hotel across town. It's quiet, spotlessly clean and very charming. You feel like you're in Mozambique when you stay here, which is meant as a compliment.

The breakfast is relatively basic, but very good. There are water heaters and instant coffee in the rooms, but make sure you ask the staff to bring you a cup of brewed coffee at breakfast -- one of the best cups of coffee I've had in Africa!

My one small complaint is that the satellite TV service is spotty, many channels are often unusable because of sync / tuning problems with the dishes. It's not highly important to me, but if you absolutely must have news or entertainment channels, this might be a problem.

Great place, great value for $$$, highly recommended.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled on business