I have just completed a two night stay at Afrin Prestige Hotel in Maputo. I had read many good reviews on Tripadvisor about the hotel before my stay, however, i found too many problems with the hotel to offer a favourable review.
Firstly, on the positive side, i must say that the hotel room size is very generous, which with the added bonus of a small kitchenette is a great advantage. The hotel is also well situated next to a mall, and also has many restaurants within walking distance.
The negative aspects of Afrin hotel are:
1. The reception staff are miserable and unpleasant. I never saw one of them smile in 3 days! Their customer skills are very poor.
2. The hotel wi-fi is pathetic. It did not work once throughout my stay, even thou they promised it would be fixed on the first day.
3. The television sets in the rooms are so small, i literally had to sit one metre away from it just to be able to see anything. I honestly have not seen a smaller TV in a hotel room anywhere.
4. The hotel keeps some parrots in a small garden on the ground floor. Each morning from about 5 a.m. the parrots start making a huge noise, which is impossible to ignore and sleep through. I could hear it five floors up, so i can only imagine what the people on the lower floors must have been going through.
5. The tiny lifts in the hotel keep getting stuck, and can only carry 3 people at a time. So basically if there is a group of people ahead of you, you could have to wait a while to get to your room.
I have stayed at the Polana hotel a few times, and it is a far better option than Afrin. In my opinion it is not value for money for the rate they charge. Furthermore, if you are planning to visit Maputo on holiday, please remember it is one of the most corrupt places in Africa. I was stopped by policemen soliciting bribes on five occasions in three days! Everywhere you go people a trying to rip you off as soon as they find out you're a foreigner.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Afrin Prestige Hotel is a new five star well located at down town at teh historical area and over Maputo's Bay.Next to the biggest shoping centre and at a walking distance from Business and Political center.The greatest choice either for business or laser when visiting Maputo with it's huge range of facilities/service.- 100 Rooms including Standar, Execuitive rooms, Executive suites and a Presidential Suite with all 5* "amenities".- Gymnasium, Swimming Pool,Sauna/Steam Room,Spa and Hairdresser.- Bar, Pool Bar, Restaurant, 24 hours Room Service.- Shop's Gallery. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Expedia, Travelocity, Orbitz, Booking.com, Priceline, Hotwire, TripOnline SA, Cancelon and Cheap Tickets so you can book your Afrin Prestige Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.