“OK for the Baixa, but better of spending extra $20 to go to Cardoso”

Afrin Prestige Hotel
Ranked #8 of 22 Hotels in Maputo
Maputo, Mozambique
“OK for the Baixa, but better of spending extra $20 to go to Cardoso”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 29, 2012

If you are working in the Baixa this hotel might be an OK choice, but the advantages to this hotel stop there. Something about the hotel makes you think the Mozambican Government is involved as things just don't work as they should. I had all kinds of problems with my air-con and getting help in general. If you are staying for a long time (I stayed 10 days) you will soon get sick of the disastrous Maputo Shopping Centre next door. There are much better hotels up in the Museu area of the city like Cardoso, Terminus, Monte Carlo, and more - the last two are a lot cheaper.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank MOzwald

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
lisbon
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 15, 2012

The room could have to mutch ligth in the morning.
You have to revew the interternet acesse it falts and bathly works many times.
But i liked to stay in your hotel and in a futur tryp i ll stay there.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

2 Thank nuno p
durban
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 30, 2011

As a stop over with no bookings made in Maputo over the Dec period we had made some online enquiries but decided we will check out the hotels when we get to Maputo... despite us checking out other hotels in the city we by chance came across the Afrin in the city next to the Maputo Shopping mall...Great hotel and staff was more than accomadating and got good rates ...rooms are so spacious and big ... definite place to stay.. with free breakfast I guess you cannot ask for much more...lovely pastries thou..

Room Tip: had two rooms on the 3rd floor was good
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank celest100
UK
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 14, 2011

The hotel is beautifully presented on the face of it and the staff were generally quite good. But.... there were issues too.

First, the positives...
The hotel is well-positioned within the city if you're wanting to be based in the Downtown area and, so I understand, is markedly cheaper than the VIP around the corner.
It seemed that the majority of the staff speak English so that's a bonus if your Portuguese isn't up to much, and generally they were very pleasant.
Paperwork was sorted out quite easily by the staff on the frontdesk, despite my slightly complicated situation. There is a rotation of about 3 more senior members of staff so over the course of the 9 days that I was there, there was some continuity. I had a couple of days free during my trip and the staff were able to recommend some things to do and the female staff were particularly concerned with my safety and advised me on some dos and don'ts, which was nice of them.
The pool area is really lovely though it wasn't attended when I was there so no cafe available and I had to go hunting for a towel. There is a spa as well which, although I didn't use it, looked lovely and again the staff were very nice.

Now for the not-so-positives...
I had a disaster with my rooms. I say rooms because I had to move a number of times. In the first room, the doors out to the balcony would not lock. As I was by myself, staying on the first floor and the hotel is in the city centre, it didn't feel particularly secure. They sent someone to try to fix it but he could not, so I was moved. In the second room, there was the same issue with the patio and in addition, all but one of the lights didn't work and there was no safe. So I moved again. The third room was a lot better, although it was positioned at the front of the hotel so there was a lot of noise. Along with all the annoyance of the room-switching, I had to deal with a rather rude bellboy who got very annoyed with me raising concerns like not having lights and the room(s) not being secure. When I settled on the third room he told me that it was booked by someone else and I had caused great inconvenience as their booking would need to be changed!
The hotel is air conditioned throughout but they seem to only have the AC on for very short bursts: you get a blast for 5 mins or so and then nothing for a long time. When the AC is off, not only does it get incredibly warm but, possibly worse, the humidity rises very quickly.
The food was awful! The breakfast consisted of some hot options, stale bread and soft cereal. I made myself a cup of tea and the milk I was given was lumpy. Not the best start to the day. I had a sandwich one evening which was ok but it wasn't nearly as good as one of the cafes in the shopping centre next door (which, incidentally, were about a third of the price). In addition, the staff who tended to the breakfast were pretty rude and slow to respond to any requests.

All in all, I would say this hotel is ok. Not great but ok. I had previously stayed at the Cardoso, which is perhaps a little more dated in its appearance but I much preferred.

Stayed March 2011, traveled on business
3 Thank y0ung1
Port Elizabeth, South Africa
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 15, 2011

The Hotel met all expectations. Rooms was extremely spacious with en-suite bathroom and kitchenette.
Nice and quite
The location of the hotel is good as it is close to many good restaurants, The Maputo Shopping Centre and the Saturday Craft Market.
Would definately try to stay here again if I could.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
2 Thank SnakeDoctor97
Johannesburg, South Africa
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 11, 2011

I had a good stay at the Afrin Prestige. I was there on business for a week and made full use of the hotel and its facilities. This place is very near to the beach. Next to the Maputo Shopping Centre. Nice restaurants nearby. Nice staff, clean and green enviornment. Overall I rate it well and wouldn’t hesitate to stay here again

• Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
2 Thank svelupula
Harare
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 20, 2011

I've stayed in the Afrin about 4 times this year and generally it's been fine. But it was really annoying when I needed to settle my bill in US dollars and they couldn't offer me change in that currency but expected me to accept meticais! Reception staff a bit cold and withdrawn and sometimes slow with room allocation. It's definitely not 5-star standard - more of a 3-star really. Rooms are big and roomy and I would indeed recommend it for long stays. However the kitchenettes provided are not equipped - so I don't see the point in having them...Just for the fridge I suppose. Housekeeping tends to not renew supplies daily - so you have to keep reminding them. All in all not bad but certainly not anywhere close to 5-star standard.

Room Tip: The corner room I had was ok but the floorboards need replacement. Sea facing rooms are definitely b...
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled on business