Fatima's Place Maputo
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation but we can search other options in Maputo
See available hotels
  • Pool
Pestana Inhaca Lodge(Inhaca Island)
  • Restaurant
See what travelers are saying:
FilterAll languages
Reviewed May 18, 2014

We stayed there some nights, and found it just ok. Not specially good, not specially bad. Though my friend got something that looked like bed bugs after the first night. She changed her bed, and didn´t notice anything after that.
The location is not that good, a bit far to walk to the center, but with a taxi it would go quick.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled solo
Reviewed May 12, 2014

Fatima's Backpackers in Maputo is unfortunately the worst backpackers I've come across in all of Southern Africa. I was placed in the female dormitory, which a tiny room for 8 people - but that didn't really bother me, as I'm generally super low maintenance.

What did bother me was waking up halfway through the night to discover that I had bed bugs in my bed. I had bumps all over my skin and on the side of my face. To top it all off, even with the mosquito net, mosquitos somehow found their way into my bed at night. Finally, after tossing and turning a bit, I decided to get up at 4AM to use their internet to do work, since they only turn on the internet between 7PM and 7AM (which I thought was a bit bizarre, but I went with it). To make it worse, the internet wasn't even on at that time - I guess they shut it off when the guests go to sleep, which I thought was a bit unfair, especially if you advertise that you keep your internet on between those specific hours.

All of that (plus the overpriced room - 500MtC to be cramped in a small room like that? I found cheaper and better accommodation in Tofo and Vilankulos, the touristy areas of Mozam!) wouldn't have even bothered me, if the staff and the boss had reacted accordingly. When I told the staff what happened, they even admitted that they had had the same complaint twice over the past couple of days of bed bugs... But THEN said, "But we don't think it is bed bugs. It can't be." When I told them that it might be a huge possibility, since I am the third guest to have complained in the past several days and I had the skin to prove it, they still refused to believe me. When I told them that the internet wasn't working between 4 and 7AM, the staff member I spoke to said, "I'm not calling you a liar and I am not telling you that I do not believe you... But the internet must have been on at that time. There should have been no problem."

Umm... What??? I believe you are calling me a liar, sir. Why in the world would I lie about that? At that point, I asked to speak to the manager and asked for some sort of discount, at the very least. After the staff member got the hostel owner on the phone, he returned and said that a discount was not possible at all. Needless to say, I cancelled the rest of my stay (four nights more) and left to find other accommodation. Overall, really the worst backpackers I've come across.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled solo
1  Thank Chi N
Reviewed May 4, 2014

Spent a couple of days and stayed in a dorm for 500 met per person.
The hostel as a good security service, good bar and equipped kitchen,
Staff speaks English and can arrange local transports and city tours.
Unfortunately, during the afternoon there was no electricity; apparently it was a problem in the neighborhood.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank Nando G
Reviewed May 1, 2014

Fatima's Place in Maputo is well-located in a nice area of town. Staff was friendly and very helpful. Communal chill area looks nice, with enough spots to host large groups. The dorm I stayed in (Baobab) was not the cleanest ever and the mattresses were pretty thin. Bathroom facilities were okay. Good security in this hostel.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled solo
3  Thank Giant J
Reviewed March 18, 2014

Two weeks ago I spent one night in Maputo to take the "shuttle" from Fatima's to Tofo.
First of all the rooms are totally overpriced and the "shuttle" is a public bus, which leaves whenever it is full. Hence our total trip lasted 13hours instead of 6.
Suggest to take another hotel or hostel in Maputo and look for alternative transport up North.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled with friends