“Disappointed”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Maputo
Fatima's Place Maputo
Ranked #12 of 20 Specialty Lodging in Maputo
Reviewed October 23, 2013

I have stayed at Fatimas several times over the last five years and have seen it slowly get worse. After my most recent stay, I will not return as I got my entire body chewed. When I asked the staff to move to another room and showed thm my bites on my torso they sad it was mosquito bites! Mosquito bites biting through 3layers of clothing? on my return to my home town and being completely covered with new bites I headed to the doctor who informed that Ihad what was most likely bed bug bites. I informed the staff at Fatimas of the doctor's opinion and they denied having any bed bugs. The pillow felt like it has nipples, the springs in the mattress were jutting out. The mosquito net smelled badly. On another occasion, the bed, pillows and mosquito net smelled so badly that I had to cover my nose while sleepint and there was only cold water running in that particular room withno electricity other than from one switch.

I wanted to support Fatimasbecause the staff seem nice and have always been friendly towards me. They are young Mozambicans trying to get on in Life but unfortunately Iwont tolerate bed bugs...

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Assissi

Reviewed October 17, 2013

We stayed here in October 2013 when The Base Backpackers was full. We stayed in an overpriced double room nicely wedged in between a toilet and the bar. It was ridiculously expensive for what you get - I would not have minded the place if it were priced more reasonably - but that is not the case at all! The room was dirty and freezing cold since you only get a sheet and no blankets, the bathrooms were filthy dirty and too few of them. The bar is noisy and was packed with locals until 4am having a big party. The staff were rude and incapable of giving any decent advice and were more interested in entertaining their friends than helping out paying guests. The only good thing about this place is the location, close to some decent restaurants. I have to mention the state of the dogs that lived there - flea ridden and sad. Horrible.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 27, 2013

Beware of this place. Unless they've improved it lately, this is not worth spending your money on!

Dirty, bad service, nothing is new or nice.

The only thing going for it is it's fun to hang out in the common area outside. That's it.

Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed September 6, 2013 via mobile

Fatima's is one of the more expensive hostels ($65 for a twin room) and would be nice enough If priced more reasonably. Comfortable beds, mosquito netting and clean bathrooms/toilets. It does NOT deliver on some of the items it advertises.

Water: The hot (and cold) water comes and goes, seemingly at random, so showering is a case of washing, waiting for the water to return, then washing some more.

Wifi: There is no wifi, despite the clear advertisement. I stayed at Fatimas twice. First for 2 nights and was told each day 'it will be fixed tomorrow', even though the network was registering as visible and locked on my computer, and the staff were using it at the bar.
I stayed there a week later on my return trip and not surprisingly it 'wasn't working' those two days either.

Food: The food was nothing special but not too bad, and it's cheap enough (~$4 for beans and rice).

So if you want somewhere clean to crash, Fatima's is pretty good. If you're looking for utilities like web access I suggest you keep looking.

• Stayed: August 2013
1  Thank Seanv2
Reviewed September 2, 2013

I only write balanced reviews: it is convenient for the local chapa up to Tofo, but the hostel itself is the one of the dirtiest I saw in Africa, the staff are very unhelpful, you have to pay for internet and it doesn't really work, broken smelly mosquito nets. I would go elsewhere. Team together and arrange your own taxi ride up to Tofo/Vilankulos because waiting at Maputo bus station for 3 hours with the Fatima local bus adds 3 unnecessary hours to what is already a 7 hr trip. I believe the chapas are safe enough to take on your own. They never answered my emails when I tried to book in. The cooking facilities were horrible, so dirty.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed August 22, 2013

Fatima's is quite well known in Mozambique. We actually took their shuttle from Tofo to Maputo, thats why ended up staying there for one night before we left Moz. The hostel itself is really nothing special - we paid an insane amount of money to sleep in an old, pretty unattractive room. The staff wasn't very friendly either, plus they dont have a safe in the hostel. If you want to leave your money 'securely' they will put it into a cupboard behind the reception desk for you. I'm sure there are better options in Maputo.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 1, 2013

Prices shockingly high. Staff not the most friendly except for the morning receptionist lady.
They claim to have free pickup from the bus station. So I managed to call but they were fooling around on the phone, saying they would come but I waited for almost an hour. When I finally got to the hostel by taxi on my own, they again told me they actually sent colleague to get me but somehow didnt see me. I think the whole thing is a hoax.

The place itself is a nice oasis in the city. But i didnt like the fake-backpacker-friendly vibe there cuz its not.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled solo