“A Nice Place for a Few Nights”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Maputo
Fatima's Place Maputo
Ranked #10 of 16 Specialty Lodging in Maputo
London, United Kingdom
“A Nice Place for a Few Nights”
Reviewed July 11, 2013

As my first stop in Mozambique it was a good starting off point and the staff are helpful and pleasant and the location fairly central.
The dorms felt a little dark and regardless of the relentless cleaning of the staff the bathrooms never felt terribly clean. The food was resonable priced (though never tried any myself). The Wifi was exhaustingly slow and having paid for any hour spent most of that time waiting for pages to load (not the fault of the hostel I realise).
Whilst I have nothing ovetly bad to say neither do I have a stunning review. It was an okay stay.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Aberystwyth, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 7, 2013

It is an OK place. It has all the basics but there are couple of reasons why I would not stay there again. 1. Location is not good. It is a bit far away from the city centre. 2. It is too expensive compared with other places. The price of wi-fi is ridiculous. 3. The staff there are kind of obnoxious. When I arrived, I wasn't showed to my room or around the place, and when I asked if the person who could do, she gave me a very unpleasant look. The other two guys who work there are players and if you are not a female, you will not get much help from. 4. There are too many mosquitoes inside, and it is seems that they are not doing anything about it.
Some people say that one shouldn't expect much from hostels in Africa. It is very true. However, I was in Mozambique for 2 months, and it was the least pleasant place of all.
If you are staying in Maputo, my advice is to go to base backpackers.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
Alexandria, Kentucky
Reviewed April 10, 2013

We didn't stay at Fatima's in either Tofo or Maputo, but we dined at Fatima's in Tofo twice. The first night for dinner and our food was ok- not great- and there was a hair in the food... But it happens and I picked it out and carried on.

But then nothing was open early for breakfast the next morning, so we went back. My order was delivered a full half hour after my partner finished his order. His order of a sausage omelet consisted of a hotdog rolled up with another hair inside of an egg. It. was. gross. Be careful of what you order and what you eat here!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank thiskentuckygirl

Travelers are raving about these Maputo hotels

London, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 7, 2013

I would never return to this place, even if I was paid to.

We only stayed at this place to catch the bus to Tofo. Fatima's charge you double the price for this ticket with the promise that the bus will pick you up (which, of course it did not!!).

Barely saw any hotel staff during our time at Fatima's. The communial area isn't very nice and the rooms are dirty, hot, smelly and have cold water. No backpackers vibe to this place.

The place is expensive and has no reason to charge such an absurd amount. I would not recommend staying here.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Vishna
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed April 6, 2013

Definitely a great place to meet fellow travelers, as well as locals, from all walks of life. What they advertise is what you get....so in that way they are very competent. Accommodation in Moz, overall, tends to be overpriced for what it is, and this place is no exception...staff does tend to turn over a bit, been there twice over the course of a year...they have good info on buses heading to all points within Moz, have a free computer hooked up to internet, I think it's a good location within Maputo. The staff's English can be hit and miss, but they are nice overall--

• Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
Ridgewood, New Jersey
Reviewed March 4, 2013

I spent one night at Fatima's on my way back to Jo'burg and found it to be a decent place to stay. I thought the dorm was nice, with very comfortable beds and the common area good as well. I found the place safe and clean. As others have noted, it was relatively expensive...the most expensive backpackpackers place I stayed on my entire trip...but most of Mozambique is on the expensive side. As for their shuttle from Tofo....it is essentially a public bus that runs between Fatima's Tofo and Maputo. Frankly, it was the worst travel day of my entire trip...mostly due to the ridiculous 4:00am departure time (I generally avoid public buses and especially ones that leave so early). I'm just not sure what other options there are to get directly from Tofo to Maputo without breaking the trip up into smaller segments. There may be better places in Maputo, but Fatima's is decent and I was happy with my stay there.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
Wolverhampton
Reviewed February 28, 2013

I've stayed at least 7 times with the purpose of visiting family in Maputo. Fatimas is not false it's 100% Mozambiquan with Mozambiquan owner and staff. I've always been treated very well, There is a superb ambiance for 'chilling' meeting people and making contacts. It's very safe and the rooms/dorms are fine. Staff are very knowledgeable and you can use your time well in Maputo. Many seem to want Western music, conditions and pizza. COL is high in Maputo and that is reflected in all prices. I've tried the Tofo run and that was an experience not to be forgotten...absolutely marvelous. If you can find somewhere better that suits you better please go there...we don't want you anyway...

Room Tip: Be patient. There's no rush in Africa. Err towards the road side. Quieter at night and less nois...