“Bad food and service” 3 of 5 bubbles

Good for: Large groups, Families with children
Maputo, Mozambique
“Bad food and service”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 28, 2012 via mobile

Khana Khazana has to be one of the worst places I've ever had a meal at. I went there with high hopes of having a great time. It's unfortunate that it wasn't so. Well, when I walked through the door, the place was empty. Literally. No customers at all. This is something that everyone complains about. The furnishing of the restaurant could have been much, much better. The cutlery was unique. They all had different designs and were made in different countries. Consistency was lacking. My table was decorated with an artificial flower in a cheap metal vase. They were both dirty. Moving on the food, which is depressing to describe, was below par. My starter was a plate of punjabi samosas and a plate of paneer pakoras. The punjabi samosas were terrible and lacked a lot of flavor. All I could taste was garlic. I did find a small piece of garlic peel in one of my samosas, indicating that attention to detail was of low quality. The samosas were served with French fries. This is not traditionally Indian. The fries themselves were terrible too. They were yellow (I think it was because turmeric was added) and oily. The paneer pakoras had a simple batter that gave the dish little flavor. The paneer lacked flavor too. The pakoras were oily and disappointing as a whole. My main course included a type of vegetable biriyani, a type of vegetarian kebab, garlic naan, punjabi channa and a mixed vegetable raita. The biriyani tasted average. It wasn't to oily, surprisingly. It could have been better. Furthermore, the vegetarian kebab was weird and had a few burnt regions. These were also served with the oily, yellow French fries. The punjabi channa was ok, but a bit salty and rich. The garlic naan was disappointing. The naan was slightly undercooked. It was not what I was expecting. It had the wrong amount of salt and butter. Raw garlic was then sprinkled on the naan. This gave the naan a strong garlic flavor. The raita was probably the best thing I had, slightly salty though. I was probably the first customer there. There were a few others that later accompanied me. You would expect service to be a bit speedy. Wrong. After getting my starters, i got my main course some fifty minutes later. The food was definitely not worth the wait. When I questioned the owner on what a particular dish on the menu was, he didn't seem to give a proper description. I had a terrible experience at Khana Khazana. I now know why it's always empty. Lastly, a sticker on the door states that the restaurant has been recommended by tripadvisor.com/br. I find that hard to believe.

3 Thank aronrana

Ulm
“Never again, bad service, bad ambience, regular food”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 23, 2012

An earlier review asked „why the place is so empty whether all Indians have left to South Africa” ??
Well I like to add the statement, unfortunately not the owner and the chef 
Staying in the nearby Monte Carlo Hotel I want to go for an eat out without the need to use a taxi, so just across the street I found the Khana Khazana. When I passed the door the first impression was weird. A rather huge hall in a reddish design dimmed light and cheaply looking chairs and tables, absolutely empty. There are about 40-50 tables and only two more customers. Strange smells hang in the air a bit spicy. The waiter offered me a plastic menu which I would have expected in a fast food restaurant with a combination of Chinese and Indian dishes. I ordered a deep fried chicken starter and ragan josh as a main course. Together with a garlic butter naan.
After a extremely long waiting period a waitress served me something strange it was chicken yes, but with rice and rather looked like chicken masala. When I asked the waiter confirmed a confusion. I mean that may happen, but then a normal behavior would have been to retrieve the wrong dish and hurry in to the kitchen to bring the right one.
Not here. The chicken masala with rice stayed on my table and long after the deep fried chicken came out. This tasted Ok. The naan they served me was a chees naan, not the butter garlic one I ordered. My ragan josh never showed up till the bill was prepared. There it was, the ragan josh and the garlic naan I never received, the chicken masala I never ordered and the deep fried chicken strips all neatly handwritten on the bill. ???
By asking the waiter why and what he thinks about this first he refused and after I insisted he reluctantly removed the incorrect items form the bill.
This place will not see me again. I do not recommend to anybody else to go there. Rather try the sumptuous seafood places in Maputo and eat our Indian style in SA.

• Visited October 2012
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank Merckens
“Good Indian”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 14, 2012

Tasty butter chicken marsala, rice and nan, with kulfi for desert. Seemed a bit empty; have all the Indians gone to South Africa?

• Visited July 2012
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Rio de Janeiro, RJ
“Great Food! Restaurant needs work!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 24, 2012 via mobile

I really enjoyed the food! It was great. But until the manager came over, a gentleman from India, the other staff who served me seemed to be a little lost - what I order from one of them never came. The manager was very courteous and came to the table a couple of times to see how things were going.

The restaurant is a little old and I was surprised to see a huge electricity cable hanging along the ceiling but there were serious power problems in Maputo so it could be from a generator.

But the 5 things we ordered were simply great and everything was very clean!

1 Thank Richard L
Maputo, Maputo, Mozambique
“Good Indian food”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 13, 2012

Try the Korma or Butter Chicken, very good. The restaurant needs a bit of work though.