“Not quite what we expected”

Villa das Arabias Boutique Hotel
Ranked #19 of 23 Hotels in Maputo
Reviewed October 19, 2013

Had a hilarious stay at this boutique hotel. Stayed in the basement with no windows. Had a soundtrack of cats mating in the hallway at night. The main floor, with a the restaurant and the pool courtyard and the cute rooms looking out over the pool, was decorated in a funky arabian vibe. The basement, not so much. Had a decent night's sleep and a warm shower and that's was sufficient, but I wouldn't want to stay there, in the windows rooms anyway, for more than a night. Plus it was expensive for what it was -- though Maputo is expensive. Staff was friendly and helpful and stored a bag for us for a few days. P.S. don't order the cod from the menu -- it's salt cod (extra salty) and boiled veg. Ick.

Room Tip: Pick a room with windows!
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends
There are newer reviews for Villa das Arabias Boutique Hotel

Reviewed August 6, 2013

The hotel was ok for a quick business trip, however I probably wouldn't stay longer than a few days.

My room was clean etc however it was quite noisy as it was located immediately behind the reception area - the padded walls had little affect!

I would also not recommend eating at the in-house restaurant - the food (and drinks) was very expensive and lower quality compared to local nearby restaurant prices.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed June 2, 2013

I have stayed in many hotels in Europe and I have found this hotel to be unique, interesting and in many ways superior to what we find as the same standard in Europe. Staff was very accommodating. They've dealt with all my requests promptly and were always willing to help! Our room was overlooking the pool, in the inner courtyard, amazing! Our breakfast was better than 4* hotels in Europe, with fresh strong filter coffee, Egg and bacon made to order (steaming hot), fresh local fruit, juices and the freshly made bread and cakes were mouthwatering for someone that does not even eat cakes or carbs every day! I could not resist! You also soon realise that you are not in Europe as not all things work as easily or consistently, however with good humour and a smile you get all things done! Moreover, for a country that came out from a 20 year brutal and enduring war, they are amazing!!! The atmosphere is cosy and often you are left with a feeling that you are cared for, almost like home. Far, far away from the austerity of the ambience felt in most hotels nowadays...

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank MIGUELROCHA
Reviewed May 28, 2013

The Arabias is a little different but it also classes itself as a "boutique" hotel in its defence. I cannot comment on the basement rooms as my room is next to the pool. Whilst it is not big and lacks a wardrobe, it is by no means poor. The room was spotless upon arrival with all of the basics required for a comfortable stay. I stayed and ate in the hotel on my first night but you are well placed for plenty of local bars and restaurants in a short walking distance. There was an ATM just across the street which I was directed to by the helpful staff. In fact all of the staff members that I have met have been pleasant and very helpful. The steak I was served would be more than acceptable in a UK restaurant and a new chilled glass served with every beer. The breakfast was good too. With fresh fruit served rather than the tinned option that I have seen here in Maputo. The decor is definitely "Arabian Nights" and impressive too. I am due to stay a while here and going on the first impressions, it should be a pleasurable stay.

Room Tip: I would stay away from the basement rooms based on the other reviews. Room 1012 next to the kitchen...
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed May 20, 2013 via mobile

I couldn't be happier, it's for sure the most cozie hotel around mozambique ,the staff is really kind and helpfull and the rooms are fresh and really clean. Most delicious breakfast especially the fruit. the pool is perfect to relax in the end of the day and i was really impressed with the decor every detail is beautiful. thanks

• Stayed: May 2013
1  Thank helenamoure
Reviewed May 11, 2013

We stayed recently at Villa das Arabias. Expect no sun light in the room. Some things might not work as expected and they may fix it or not. When you need something basic (toilet paper, towers...) they will help you under request, but it will take time. Swimming pool is not very appealing and regular rooms are like dungeons.

However, it's clean and we felt safe during our stay there. We reached the spots we needed in reasonable time. It worked ok for us. Not that we felt really comfortable, but felt ok for our needs.

It's in the center of Maputo so it's in the safe part of the city, reasonable distances in taxi / walking to things & places.

Room Tip: Don't hold great expectations.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed March 28, 2013

My little cell was down in the dungeons ! What a dreadful room. Extremely claustrophobic and the aircon did not work. I asked to be moved the next day as I didn't sleep a wink all night - unless they were able to fix the air conditioning and provide a working fridge. After a busy day working I returned to be told everything was in working order. Well it wasn't. After feisty argument, the manager agreed to move me to a junior suite - which is what I would class as a standard hotel room. Unfortunately it was right next to the kitchen and I was woken very early with the noise and activity from the same. Oh, I also requested a pick up from the airport at 9.20pm. A clapped out taxi arrived to collect me at 10.15pm. The whole experience was awful !

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business