“Avoid this hotel”

Le Suffren Hotel & Marina
Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Port Louis
Reviewed January 13, 2014

Although the high prices and the excellent position, the service's in the hotel are terrible:
1) Internet in the room is very expensive and in lobby VERY slow!!!
2) Food is average and size of the portion very small!!!
3) On the contrary the prices are relative high!
4) Furthermore, I got injured and bleeding in my finger and the hotel didn't even had first-aid-kit!!! Not even a single plaster!!!
Never come to this hotel again!!!

Room Tip: Avoid comming to this hotel!
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled on business
Suffrenhotel, Directeur général at Le Suffren Hotel & Marina, responded to this reviewResponded January 20, 2014

Dear Mr. Georgnik,

It is with concern that we read of the response that you received when reporting that you got injured and, as a caring hotel, we just could not brush aside your feedback without apologizing profusely for the lack of consideration and caring that you were shown. I would like to immediately reassure you that the hotel does have a first aid kit and that the staff should have attended to your injured finger. You can rest assured that this matter has already been raised with the various head of departments and the little extras that we do offer has been reinforced with the entire team.

We have been aware of the various shortfalls in the internet service delivered by the hotel so far and the management, attentive to the guests’ demands and in our quest for continuous improvement of our services to keep pace with the ever-changing technology, has been actively working on providing an improved internet solution to our guests. We are therefore pleased to inform you that our hotels now offer the first 250MB internet free daily. This was not possible before as we were contractually bound to a third party service provider. This situation has now changed and we have implemented a new system at our properties. Anything in excess of the daily 250MB is chargeable at a reasonable package.

Rolph Schmid
Managing Director

There are newer reviews for Le Suffren Hotel & Marina

Reviewed January 8, 2014

We stayed here for two nights as it was suggested by Air Mauritius (we were delayed due to a cyclone).

Staff were reasonably friendly, not overly but definitely not rude. Food was mostly reasonable and service was efficient.

The view of Port Louis is quite lovely and there's a free water taxi that takes you over to the centre.

We would stay here again.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 3, 2014

Le Suffren has been the choice of most business people visiting Mauritius for a while now and certainly my choice for the last 3 years , so one would expect that its quality of service / business services would get better as well . The opposite is unfortunately true . No longer a business services section or desk where we could do a simple task as check-in online for our flights ....the wi-fi service is erratic at the best of times and so people congregate around the reception area or bar in order to be able to download the simplest of documents ....at a snail's pace ...
Service at bar and restaurant varies from very good to appalling , non-existent ...one moment you have 2 or 3 staff around you , the next it is as if you do not exist ! ....a beer order at the bar , early evening took almost 15 minutes to be brought to the table despite 4 or 5 waiter's hovering around the area ...
Food at the main Restaurant for dinner was rather good but again service rather slow ...
Rooms are still very good ( spacious , good lighting ) but wi-fi only by paying a rather expensive service fee and a complicated one to add to it .
In short , le Suffren Management needs to re-look at the product they advertise and are offering .

Room Tip: it really depends on guest preference . Rooms on ground floor are however noisier , specially if nea...
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed January 1, 2014 via mobile

For omelette you have to pay extra. Otherwise you can eat fruits, suits, cereals, and some meats. Stuff in nice. Internet just in the lobby area. Rooms are spacious and cleaned everyday. TV have just 10 channels.

Stayed: January 2014, traveled on business
Reviewed December 22, 2013

Enjoyed my stay here.

As noted in previous reviews I did experience some instances of slow service but not too bad.

Internet was much cheaper than previously indicated and available for free in all public areas (so long as you knew which wifi to use. I was in 218 and the free wifi extends into this room so had no need to purchase for in room use. I also am horrified that hotels are still charging for this service nowadays.

Food choice on a half board basis very very limited but invariably very nice so not too much of a problem.

Gym looked well kitted out. Pool is very small.

Water taxi to the other side was out of action for the whole of my stay but fortunately I had a hire car.

Significant problems with my room key and door - more of an irritation rather than seriously disruptive.

Would probably use the hotel again when next visiting Mauritius on business.

Room Tip: 218 was good for free internet.
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed December 10, 2013

I stayed at the Le Labourdonnais a number of times before and was looking forward to something different even if it is the "older sister".

The mixed bag:
This was my first visit to the Le Suffren, booked on a half-board basis (I wasn't aware of this as my client booked & paid for this).
At check-in this was not explained properly to me and I ended up eating from the menu and therefore paying more. Only on the 3rd night did one of the waiters explain my package to me. This basically consisted of a 3-course meal with choices from a "set menu". The dinner was great and of a good quality.

The bad:
I really do not understand how hotels still justify asking a stupid amount just for internet in your room! This is 2013 and internet is very essential to doing business! I sometimes have to communicate with people in the US and do not want to sit downstairs in a hotel @ midnight discussing business!
Internet in the dining area is also a little hit & miss, although the bar area is well covered.
My room was garden-facing, which on its own wasn't an issue. However, it had curtains that cant close fully - only side curtains that covered the full window. So I was not keen to get dressed & undressed in the room and had to do this in the bathroom. This made the room very hot in the afternoons when I got back from the office
There is no lift in this hotel, so don't pack a heavy case when staying here.

The good:
The staff in the bar area are good. On the second afternoon they immediately brought me a beer without me even asking. Very nice to relax here with a beer or 2 after a day at the office.
The overall food experience was good too. Breakfast is decent, and staff here are very attentive as well.
The room & bathroom is adequate and was properly cleaned daily. It is a 2 minute water taxi ride away from the hustle & bustle at the Waterfront (therefore also much quieter than the Le Labourdonnais).

Verdict:
I will definitely stay here again in future and the hotel would get a 4-star from me if they offered free internet & fix the curtains in the room! :-)

Room Tip: Get a ground-floor garden room in one of the "villas" close to the private beach.
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed November 5, 2013

yesterday i had dinner with my sister....food was fabulous..restaurant staff was just WOW...great service la boussol keep it up...but bar service was bad....i was completely reject at the bar...why because i am black....worse day of my life....i was completely reject...i was like invisible....anyway thanks for restaurants staff...thanks to avinash and neelash

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family
InterContinental Mauritius Resort Balaclava Fort
Merville Beach Hotel
Merville Beach Hotel
#4 of 28 in Grand Baie

Been to Le Suffren Hotel & Marina? Share your experiences!