“What a view! Peace and quiet, in a stunning location”
Review of Mon Choix Ecolodge

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Port Louis
Mon Choix Ecolodge
Ranked #1 of 6 Port Louis B&B and Inns
Reviewed July 30, 2013

I was here for 3 weeks, to do some work in Port Louis, and it was a wonderful place to be based. I just didn't get bored of the wonderful view down the valley from my room, and it was easy to get in and out of Port Louis by bus, so staying here was further from where I was working, but definitely worth the bus journey up the hill. The room was comfortable, and having a fridge and microwave meant that I could prepare some simple meals there, which was a bonus on a longer stay. If (when?) I'm back in Port Louis, I'll definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank katiee_overseas

Reviewed June 20, 2013

What can I say but to echo the previous reviewers comments.
High, high in the valley lies the rust red Mon Choix, visible for miles around, and actually featured in a Mauritian photo album I was given as a present by my work colleagues, but I digress, from the excellent breakfast to the wonderful dogs, not to mention mine host Jean Michel and hostess Joan, this is simply the best place to stay in Mauritius on my budget at least!
Yes, its far away from Port Louis (15-20mins) but its far away from the traffic, noise and hubbub of a major city, the view is stunning (from my room anyway).
But, if you want to, you can actually eat in the valley, with the locals, in my opinion far better than travelling into Port Louis and far far cheaper, Biriani for £2 for instance.
Vinod the Taxi, IS the most helpful and useful driver, cheaper than the rest and you can even text him to pick you up, whats not to like?.
All in all an excellent stay and with 5 new friends!

Room Tip: Get the big room at the front of the lodge, two balconies
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed May 8, 2013

Hidden away on the slopes of a mountain, this is the perfect counter therapy to a days work in the busy city of Port Louis. The hosts Joan and Jean-Michel really do look after their guests making a stay in Mauritius into a very special experience.
The rooms are beautiful as is the large home and terraces. The views are fabulous and the surrounding sounds mostly that of bird song.
I recommend Mon Choix as the perfect accommodation for anyone (perhaps, other than young party goers, as there are no night clubs or such like near by).
For me, I was in Port Louis, but next time it will be a bit of both.

Room Tip: Although a little out of town, with the help of the Mon Choix regular taxi driver, it didn't pro...
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Ali G
Reviewed April 9, 2013

We wanted to explore something different in Mauritius, so decided to stay at Mon Choix lodge. The location is stunning, in Vallee des Pretres, not too far from Port Louis, yet far away from everything that you know about Mauritius.

Absolutely loved the lavish open air breakfasts, with views of the mountains beyond, the sugarcane fields, and the city below. The rooms are nice and cosy, with a balcony facing the mountains. The hikes in the surrounding mountains are picturesque. Jean-Michel and Joan are very friendly and helpful hosts.

Note though that the location is fairly far from food. Port Louis is a taxi ride away, and it's the closest place to get your meals (which we found a tad too expensive to have at Mon Choix itself), so renting a car is a good idea if you intend to stay here.

Read more about my experience and see pictures of Vallee Des Pretres and Mon Choix on my blog at http://the-shooting-star.com/2012/09/07/wilderness-mauritius/

Room Tip: The room downstairs is nice and cosy, and comes with a balcony overlooking the mountains.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank TheShootingStar
Reviewed February 16, 2013

I stayed with a colleague for a week while on business. The location was quiet and away from the tourist areas. Stunning views from the patio of the surrounding mountains and vista down to the sea. Great to laze and watch the colourful birds. Our hosts Jean-Michel and Joan did everything they could to make us feel welcome and to provide us with information and support relating to our business ventures and leisure time. The breakfasts were superb, freshly baked bread and croissants, cooked breakfast to order, fresh fruit and yoghurt. We truly felt we were staying with friends rather than in a guest house. If you want the town and night life, then you are about 20 minutes taxi away. If you want to stay somewhere different, away from the madding crowds this is truly a gem of a find.

Room Tip: Ask for the 1st floor ecolodge room with the large balcony.
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Rubidoo
Reviewed December 15, 2012

Mon Choix is the perfect place to base yourself while in Port Louis. Joan and Jean Michel are the perfect hosts - welcoming, informative and extremely helpful with organising everything from bits of ironing to a taxi. While the magical setting of their well-kept home - with the breathtaking views down the Vallee des Pretres and the surrounding hills and the continuous birdsong - certainly helps, it is their eye for detail, be it in how the delicious breakfast is laid out or the two frangipani flowers are placed on the bed, that makes Mon Choix special. We spent two nights there after four nights at a faceless hotel in Balaclava. Booking Mon Choix is hassle free, the internet works, the rooms are spacious and comfortable, the two dogs are lovely, the food is excellent (both breakfast and dinner) - pity we had to actually work during the day and leave after two days. Thank you Joan and Jean Michel.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank pokfulam
Reviewed September 30, 2012

I was in Mauritius for five nights while having different business meetings and interviews in Port Louis. The logical choice would have been to stay in the city centre. However, the reviews I saw were not very promising. For that reason, I decided to stay somewhere else - Mon Choix, in the hills surrounding the town. And what a great decision this was. After two weeks in the road for business, Mon Choix was the perfect place to relax after and before a long day of work. The best time of the day was when I returned, around 5pm, and I sat in the terrace, overlooking the wonderful views of Port Louis. The place is heaven, and Jean Michelle and Joan are the perfect hosts. The room is big, espacious and with all the confort that I needed. The wifi conection is very good. Breakfast is excellent. But, as I said, the best thing is the relaxing atmosphere that you will enjoy.

Mon Choix is 10 minutes away from the city centre, and Jean Michelle and Joan will give you all the help to arrange taxies and all that you may need. One thing that I also valued a lot is the independence that you have. In some B&B you may feel like part of your duty is entertaining the host. Well, that's not the host, and Jean Michelle and Joan were extremely respectful of my privacy. On the down side, you have to organize your dinners, as there are no restaurants nearby. That's probably the only but I can mention. But one thing is for certain - if I ever return to Mauritius for business, Mon Choix will be the place where I will stay again.

One more thing - there is no TV in the rooms. But you know what? I didn't miss it. Not at all. So, if you are the kind of traveller that cannot live without turning on the TV as soon as you wake up, then Mon Choix is definitely not for you. If, on the contrary, you rather enjoy your breakfast with a esplendid view in the middle of nature and a relaxing atmosphere, don't think twice and go to Mon Choix

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
#3 of 5 in Port Louis
Hotel Champ de Mars
Hotel Champ de Mars
#3 of 6 in Port Louis

Been to Mon Choix Ecolodge? Share your experiences!