“Still good” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Ocean Basket

Ocean Basket
Ranked #115 of 933 Restaurants in Mauritius
Cuisines: Seafood, Sushi
Good for: Large groups, Kids, Special occasions, Families with children, Dining on a budget
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Free Wifi, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Oxfordshire, England
“Still good”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 23, 2012

Revisited on Monday evening earlier this week when we found it much quieter than our previous Saturday visit so no waiting for a table. Perhaps as a result the food was much better than our previous visit (see my earlier review in May). The menu does say you will have to wait at least 20 minutes from ordering as the food is fleshly cooked. True to their word that's exactly how long we waited. Still a recommend to visit but perhaps not on a Saturday when you will have to wait for a table as well.

• Visited November 2012
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

• Polish first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Brampton, Canada
“Great tasting seafood”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 25, 2012

We visited the restaurant with the family of a Mauritian friend for lunch. The selection of each menu item was made much simpler with the pictorial display of each of the starters and the main entree. We ordered different platters of fish, shrimp and a medley of seafood including calamari and octopus for each in a party of six and shared portions to get the taste of each item. Having been accustomed to the regular fish and chips at other restaurants during my travel, this was a great treat. The quantity and the quality of the items were excellent and the service was fast as well.

• Visited September 2012
Kempton Park, South Africa
“Nice fish and chips for the man in the street”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 4, 2012

I was sceptic at first. being aSouth African company, I expected the standards to be lower than those in South Africa but i was quite surprised. Having read the forums I was not sure whether we would be able to get seated at this restaurant without waiting in an endless line.Again, surprise! No line and we walk in and got seated immediatly. The service was exceptional fast for Mauritius standards.

My wife and I ordered the traditional fish and chips and decided to top it up with mouth watering prawns. It was worth every Rupee! At Rs 1000 I found it a bit steep and expensive but as I mentioned, wrth the expense. The fish was done to perfection and not to mention the prawns.

The waitron was fast and efficiant and very friendly. Ebven the manager tucked in when the restaurant got busy and served the tables.

We decided on indoor seating as it was chilly and windy outside. On a nice summer or spring day, outside seating will be operfect in my opinion. This is a must visit restaurant with execelant eating. Comparing prices, I would say it is fairly close to other countries pricing of this type of restaurant.

What makes it even more worthwile is the different shops to be had at the Mall. With Food Lover's Market catering for the local population, tourists on holiday on self catering can't go wrong.

A definite visit worth if in Bagatell.

• Visited August 2012
Tamarin
“bow wow”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 6, 2012

unfourtunately i cannot be so enthusiastic. I had a simple meal with a friend. The fish tasted old as did the chips. The order although simple got mixed up and we had to wait for the rest of the order. It just seemed pretty slack and i was not impressed. in fact my friend left her chips as they where not good. My previous visit was ok but only ok.

• Visited April 2012
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Oxfordshire, England
“Good seafood at reasonable prices”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 4, 2012

We visited recently as a family party of eight with a toddler requiring a high chair. On a Saturday lunchtime when the place was packed we waited only about 20 minutes to get a table. One of our sons had visited the Ocean Basket in Johannnesburg a year or so earlier (part of the same chain I believe) and was so impressed that he wanted to visit again. At first glance the seafood platters appear expensive but when worked out on a per head basis it's pretty good value. Check out the website for the menu and waht you get on the seafood platters. We had the seafood platter for 2 plus a platter for 4 and 2 lots of extra chips. With drinks as well the bill came to about 3,200 rupees (about £70) - not bad value at all and pretty tasty too. Good service as well. As an aside my son advised me it was cheaper in Johannesburg.

• Visited April 2012