“The warm heart is Kumbali”

Kumbali Country Lodge
Ranked #1 of 13 Hotels in Lilongwe
Reviewed April 3, 2014

We urgenlty needed to travel to Malawi on business and our stay turned into a delightful mini-break as a result of staying at Kumbali, where the renound "warm heart of Africa" hospitality is at the centre of this lodge.
We last stayed at Kumbali ten years ago, when the lodge was first built. It has grown into itself and the gardens are now very established with huge indeginous and exotic trees set amongst the extensive rolling lawns. Our room was enormous and positioned in such a way that we felt we were the only people staying at the lodge. We watched the sunrise from the comfort of our bed and the only interruption was the sweet sound of birdsong.
Breakfast was a treat and the yogurt produced in the Kumbali dairy is divine. Jess's Malawi-grown coffee is an experience in itself and there was no better way to start the day than savoring it from the verandah, whilst overlooking the swimming pool with only the forest and distant mountains as the view, all the way to the horizon.
Service was exceptional, to the extent that my laundry was done, just because I'd left my clothes on the floor. Our urgent business was conculded very serenely and we returned to Cape Town truly refreshed and with an exceptionally full and happy heart. I would not hesitate to recommend Kumbali - it turned it business into pleasure!

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled on business

Reviewed April 3, 2014

We stayed here two different nights on two on two different occasions as we arrived and left out of Lilongwi. The place is very nice. The rooms are large, clean and comfortable. We ate dinner there 1 night and the food was very good. The place is an interesting concept as it is a working farm as well as a lodge. My only complaint was the slowness of the Wi-Fi but that is nothing to do with the hotel but rather the local service. Would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 26, 2014

Situated away from the city, this is an oasis of calm and efficiency. If you've been on the road for some days, this is the perfect place to relax. Staff are friendly. Breakfast is good. Bar prices reasonable. Value for money? 4/5

Room Tip: No comments on Spa or fitness centre
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled on business
Reviewed March 19, 2014

Kumbali Country Lodge has unique surroundings of bush and wilderness. The lodge has what you need with a wonderful staff to guide and help you. Food is excellent with a good service. Nice and comfortable bar and the precious view from the terrace for a afternoon coffee.
Though we are living in Lilongwe, we still visit now and then since it's also very close to town, simply a nice get-away.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled on business
Reviewed February 23, 2014 via mobile

Stayed for a week for a work meeting. It's abut out if town but quiet lovely spot. Rooms a little dark but I guess usually when sun shining that would be welcome. Staff were outstanding and very attentive. Nice pool, safe simple foot and not too much. Only thing missing for me was a gym as staying in work meetings all week plus overrating needs that. Madonna brings her own I believe

Stayed: February 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank Siobhan_Crowley
Reviewed January 8, 2014

This is the most wonderful place, with pretty thatched buildings in a large and beautiful garden, that offers great comfort and delicious food.
The rooms are large and airy, with lovely bathrooms and large balconies looking over the garden to the farm and countryside beyond.
The food includes home grown vegetables and home made yoghurt from the dairy on the farm, as well as some of the best puddings anywhere. All the staff were friendly and welcoming, it truly felt like home from home. We will be back!

Room Tip: All the rooms are lovely!
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed November 24, 2013

This was my first travel in the country and I was a little bit anxious for the lodging and so on. (I am coming from France).
I spent one full week in Kumbali Lodge and the result is above my expectations.
The place is very nice with a well maintained garden
I took daily dinners at the restaurant, food quality is very high, especially a large variety of fresh vegetables grown close to the lodge.
Room was very nice and perfectly cleaned every day. I never got any water issue nor power supply problem. Excellent bed.
You can also ask for lunch bag, you will get a refrigerated bag with the stuff well protected.
Laundry was also possible and taken care.
A special thanks to the lodge driver who drove me and picked me up to my job twice a day, always on time and really smart.
All the satff is nice, professional and reliable and very friendly.
This is a fammily lodge, after one day, they all called me by my first name

I would strongly recommend this lodge

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business