“A little bit sad”

Ranked #4 of 12 Hotels in Lilongwe
North Carolina
“A little bit sad”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 20, 2008

I've been traveling to Malawi for several years and have stayed at this hotel many times. It has been very sad to see it decline. When I first stayed here years ago, the service was without equal, even without equal in the western world. slowly over the years service has deteriorated to the point that there is no point staying in this hotel. You will grow old waiting, from the front desk to the now rather mediocre restaurants (the menus haven't changed in 8 years and the quality has certainly declined), and you will certainly die of thirst waiting on service in the bars. Unfortunately the service has not only grown glacially slow, its grown surly at worse or staff will just ignore you at best. Perhaps the property is having its own labor troubles about which the guests know nothing, but this hotel has declined. Lilongwe has a couple of good options, so stay at the Cresta or one of the very pleasant guesthouses instead.

• Liked — Location to the firms with which I do business
  • Disliked — Just about everything else
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled on business
2 Thank MCaseNC

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (55)
  • Korean first
Westborough, Massachusetts
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 2, 2008

The property was nice but the room was shabby by US standards. I had to change rooms in the middle of the night when I woke up with a pounding headache from a strange smell in the room (which I later learned was a result of the room being fumigated earlier that day). The staff was courteous but check-in was painfully long. Both dinner and lunch at the hotel were excellent. They also have a very modern gym, a pleasant surprise.

• Stayed November 2007
1 Thank mbloch

Travelers are raving about these Lilongwe hotels

England
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 19, 2007

On first impressions the hotel was quite nice, the reception area was clean and the staff friendly and welcoming, you get offered a free glass of guava juice on arrival which was very nice! When getting to my room I could see it was a bit warn and dated, could do with a lick of paint and a new bathroom which was really the only let down of the stay but otherwise it was clean and the bed was comfortable with a balcony area overlooking the pool.
There were 2 restaurants in the hotel, one where you could sit outside next to the fish pond. This is the only one I ate in and the food was to a good standard. Security at the hotel was good and I felt safe during my stay there even staying rather late at the bar by myself. A safe in my room would have been useful though.
All in all a reasonable hotel with a gym pool and various other facilities, probably the best you will find in Lilongwe.
$95 a night allthough you may be able to get it cheaper, we just walked in.

• Liked — The Pool Was Alright
  • Disliked — Rooms in need of a
  • Stayed December 2007, traveled on business
1 Thank jamie123uk
Centurion
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 30, 2007

Large spacious hotel with beautiful gardens, comfortable rooms and friendly staff. I stayed in a Superior room for 7 nights in September 2007. The amenities in the room can be compared to an average 2 star hotel - no complimentary bottled water, no hairdryer, and no notepad and pen. The TV channels consisted virtually of sport only and I had to request that at least one channel be allocated to a news channel. When the movie channels were made available, they had picture but no sound. I suspect that the TV channels were set up in accordance with the staff's preferences. Food items on the restaurant menus are very limited with little variety. The breakfast is average. What really put me off and would prevent me from returning are the cockroaches, dirty tablecloths, and dirty cracked plates. The cockroaches were everywhere in my room, bathroom, and in my clothes. When I complained, I was given a can of insect spray to kill them off!! When I was packing to leave for home, I was shocked to find cockroaches in my clothes. Needless to say, fumigation of my clothes and luggage was needed on my return home. In summary, a comfortable yet dated hotel marred by a lack of cleanliness and cockroaches.

• Liked — Comfortable rooms, friendly staff, beautiful gardens
  • Disliked — Limited menus, lack of cleanliness, cockroaches
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled on business
Anstruther, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 2, 2007

I stayed 4 nights at the Capital. Ok it is not a 4 star by European standards but I thought it was a decent hotel. I had 2 different rooms (I split my stay by travelling to Blantyre in the middle). Both were the same standard. The rooms were clean, the furnishings are fine, the bathrooms are slightly dated but the showers were good. The TV has only a limited range of satellite stations and reception is affected by the weather - the heavy rains when I was there meant that the signal was sometimes lost The worst downpours also meant that the courtyard area and even some parts of the hotel were flooded. I found the service to be very good - the staff came and turned down the beds in the evening, the laundry is extremely efficient. I had to check out very early one morning and called down to the front desk to have my bill ready and it was. The breakfast is excellent and you sit out in a very pleasant green area next to a pool. The gym is reasonably well equipped although no air conditioning when i was in.

Overall my stay here was pleasant although the hotel is not as good as its sister in Blantyre

Stayed February 2007
2 Thank Anster
Paris
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 29, 2006

Dated, shabby and way overpriced for what you get. But it's the best hotel in Lilongwe. Good points are helpful staff and a nice swimming pool area.

• Liked — Friendly staff.
  • Disliked — Shabby, run-down room and outdated bathroom.
  • Tips/Secrets — Don't stay in Lilongwe if you can avoid it.
  • Stayed December 2006, traveled with family
1 Thank J-CDup
Traverse City, Michigan
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 30, 2006

The Capital hotel is in a great area. The staff is pleasant but not terribly efficient. The property itself is a bit worn and dated but relatively clean. After all, this is Malawi and even though the country and its people are lovely, I didn't expect much.

However, my initial room smelled. Like a cross between old shoes and fried fish. I couldn't stay in the room, so I asked to see others. I sniffed my way through 3 more rooms until I found one that could be tolerated. Turns out the hotel is in the middle of getting an update. If you need to stay at this hotel, be sure to ask for a newly refurbished room to avoid the same problem.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Smell of the rooms
  • Tips/Secrets — Ask for a newly remodeled room.
  • Stayed November 2006, traveled on business