“Excellent stay in Lilongwe”

Africa House Malawi
Reviewed February 6, 2013

I've stayed at other hotels in Lilongwe and did not have an enjoyable experience. However, the Africa House was completely different. The staff was wonderful, it was a small enough house I felt like I was being personally cared for, the food was excellent, and my room was comfortable, spacious, relaxing, and well decorated. I stayed in the Namibia suite, which had a large sitting area with an l-shaped couch (which could easily double as a bed), a small table for eating (though I usually ate in the common area, though one night they brought my food in while I watched a the African Cup of Nations from my room), a kitchenette with a microwave, a fridge, a sink and some dishes (there was also a range hood, but no cooker...I wonder if you can borrow a hot plate or something like that). There's a rather large walk-in closet and plenty of space for long-term stays. But for me for a week it was more than adequate (one guest saw my room and said it was much larger than hers, so there was a wide variety in types of accommodations). The thing I enjoyed most was how relaxing the grounds and common area (especially the fountain in the courtyard) were. The only problem was that there was an Internet outage two of the nights I was there (but I think it was a SkyBand problem, not the hotel). The second night they had a dongle for us to use, so I was able to get some emails out. The fitness center opened the day I was leaving, so I didn't get to use it. But I walked down there and it was full of brand-new equipment, and looked quite nice.

My one suggestion would be a much larger sign on the gate, and one on the corner of Ufulu road. It was hard for people to find the place. But all told, I will stay here again the next time I come to Lilongwe!

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
There are newer reviews for Africa House Malawi

Reviewed February 6, 2013

I stayed here for first time and was very impressed with the quality of the rooms and the quality of the staff. I stayed in Luangwa room - which has a delightful open bathroom. The pool is MUCH smaller than it looks in the photo but it is adequate. There is a recently opened gym, which is perfect.
The breakfast is really good - fresh muffins, cereal, eggs, bacon, great fruit bowl. Dinner is good but rather expensive.
The garden is well maintained and the place is so quiet. A real haven.
The only iffy bit was the on again-off again internet connection, which was frustrating. Other than that, an excellent stay.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank bluemercury
Reviewed January 8, 2013 via mobile

This is my third stay at Africa House in the last 18 months and it feels like a home away from home to me. The experience far supersedes anything the hotels in Lilongwe might provide. After long working days, Africa House provides much needed tranquility and the friendliest staff around. The intimate setting allows one to fraternize with other guests and yet provides plenty of space to be alone if one prefers. A state of rest or productivity are equally accommodated. This is possibly one of my favorite places on the continent.

• Stayed: January 2013
Reviewed December 17, 2012

Very nice hotel to stay in Lilongwe. The rooms are very confortable and the common spaces (hall, restaurants, terrasse, garden) stilish and full of strong afrincan peronality. The staff is friendly and helpful.
Definitively the place to stay in Lilongwe!

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 31, 2012

I stayed at Africa House while on business for a period of five months. For business travellers seeking to avoid the hassle of renting, hiring staff, procuring a generator, etc, Africa House is a fantastic option. The rooms are well appointed, clean, and spacious. Staff is very hospitable. Surroundings are idyllic.

Round the clock wifi is superb, with AC and backup electricity to boot. Wouldn't want to stay anywhere else in Lilongwe.

Room Tip: The suites are terrific
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed September 21, 2012

Africa House is a beautiful place in Lilongwe. The quiet setting and spacious structure combined with the big smiles from staff make for a warm atmosphere and a wonderful relaxing stay. The decor is lovely and the garden full of exotic birds. I would definitely come back!

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed September 2, 2012

In a peaceful garden setting, Africa House provides affordable, comfortable accommodation in Lilongwe. Set slightly out of town, I really appreciated the peace and quiet. I also appreciated the attention to detail - beautifully decorated spotlessly clean rooms, good linen and towels, scented candles and nice amenities in the bathroom. The food was good and the staff were very pleasant. I would not hesitate to recommend this place.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business