We spent just a week in Malawi and decided to skip Mt Mulanja to seek for a bit more quietness. We found the Luwawa Forest Lodge which gave it all:
1. Local bus transportation from Lilongwe experience with chickens/fish/hours of waiting
2. Oasis at the forest lodge itself. Beautiful rooms, friendly people, take really good care of you, beautiful scenery, hot showers and even a sauna. I am barely naming 10% of the things they offer.
3. The most beautiful three day hike through nature ending at Lake Malawi. The path was quite "hard" (that is more than doable for most your people, even children of say 12, but take good shoes and just expect a lot of walking!). The first night we slept on the top of a hill with beautiful scenery. The friendly guide+carriers (we were as a couple with one guide and two carriers) cooked a very delicious meal, made the fire, set up the tents. They even make sure that you get some privacy (so they don't eat with you but do share some time to talk). The second night we even slept at a school. About 20 children joint us there, sweetest children ever seen (between say 4 and 12 years old). Not shy at all for the camera and playing with some self made toy's (bring a football or so if you can). At the campfire, they even sang a song for us (Gospel song, proud little children singing as hard as they can, really beautiful and breathtaking).
4. Ending at Lake Malawi, allowing a nice rest to recover from the trip.
The first night you enter, they will ask you what meal's you would like to eat during the hike, which is really nice, they took such good care of us. Be aware that it is a forest lodge, which means that they need to generate their own electricity and things. It makes it a very homely place, but it is most suitable for nature lovers. You can also arrange other activities (bikes, rock climbing, canoeing) at the lodge, we haven't tried that, but looks great too.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Luwawa Forest Lodge is an Eco -Tourism Lodge and Outdoor Adventure centre. Located 240km North of Lilongwe in the mountains of the North Viphya Forest Reserve. A very beautiful and peaceful Location far from the madding crowds. ... more less