“Good Food”

Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Lilongwe, Malawi
“Good Food”
Reviewed August 9, 2012

We went to Buchannan's Grill after a short time in Malawi. The food was really good and was a good choice for our family. The only thing was that it was a bit expensive but not so much that I wouldn't go again. It is in a great location and the staff were very nice.

Birmingham, United Kingdom
“Great restaurant, great steaks”
Reviewed June 17, 2012

During the month I recently spent in Lilongwe I went to Buchannan's 3 times, and each time had a great meal. The first night I had the grilled chicken which came with a tasty traditional kwasu kwasu sauce. The next visit I had filet steak, which was amongst the nicest steaks I've had anywhere. In fact so good was the steak that I had it again the final time I visited. The modest wine list is nonetheless good, with some nice South African reds. June can be chilly at night in Lilongwe but the patio seating area had a few chimineas so we were fine. John the proprietor is a convivial host and a good time was had by all in our party. There are often events on at the Four Season's so it's nice to look around late afternoon then stay for a meal at Buchannan's. I was there in early June during an arts show, and picked up some great local art before sitting down to dine. I can recommend Buchannan's Grill.

• Visited June 2012
Logan, Utah
“We liked it so much we went back the next night!”
Reviewed June 4, 2012

Very nice atmosphere with a well-lit patio in the gardens by a water feature. The nights we were there, two men were playing guitar and singing--not overly loud so we could still have a nice conversation easily. The food was very good, especially the Chambo or lake fish--I would recommend it! Others in our party had the shrimp and the steak, also very good. Unfortunately, the chicken cordon bleu was a prefab item--skip it, there are much better options. I liked the sweetcorn cakes as a starter.
The second night we were there, the service was a bit slow, then when Barbara the owner came out and inquired, the food came out immediately. She was very, very nice and convinced us to try Malva cake for dessert--I didn't think a cake made from apricot and vinegar sounded great, but it was DELICIOUS--definitely try it!
I heartily recommend Buchanan's in Lilongwe--don't miss it!

• Visited May 2012
NY
“Expensive for the quality”
Reviewed May 30, 2012

Although the atmosphere is lovely, the service is slow and the food is not all that wonderful for the price. Our meet came out almost raw and the food came out at different times. The waiter also forgot that we had ordered some starters.

Vancouver Island, Canada
“Beautiful setting with great food”
Reviewed May 29, 2012

We took our co-workers here for lunch and were pleasantly surprised. We didn't know there were such nice restaurants in Lilongwe. The setting in the gardens is beautiful and the food was very good. Service was very good also. We enjoyed it so much we are going back tomorrow night for our anniversary dinner. It is not inexpensive but for a special occasion, it's worth it.