“Something Different”

Don Brioni's Bistro
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed September 29, 2013

Visited Don Brioni's Bistro while on business in Lilongwe. While the food and service is quite average, the atmosphere and the owner, Brian, makes up for the rest. Well worth the visit. Especially sitting at the bar and listening to the owners stories.

Reviewed July 27, 2013

Excellent steak and warm welcome from the owner (Brian, from Wales). Inflation in malawi means it is not as cheap as it once was, but still quite good value for money.

Reviewed July 26, 2013

Travelling alone in an unfamiliar city I always like to book a hotel close by to a good eaterie so that I don’t have to go far at night for a decent meal. That is how I came to be staying at the Kiboko Hotel in (very nice) and dining at Don Brioni's back in April 2013 after a tiring trip to the North of the country.

The first thing you notice about the place is its décor which is warm and welcoming, the walls adorned with chalk boards dedicated to the many customers who, like me, have made this place their local for the duration of their stay in Lilongwe. I was only in the city for less than a week, but I made a beeline for this cosy spot every night, not just for its close proximity to my hotel, but for the excellent food and spirited company that I found here.

Brian is a veteran traveller and consummate chef who has made his home here after a life time cooking all over the world. I had some excellent meals here and bearing in mind that the food he creates comes from a limited range of ingredients available in Malawi, I was very impressed. You can also rest assured that if something at the market is not up to standard, he won’t buy it, so all ingredients are fresh and tasty.

After dinner I would head into the bar which offered company in the form of all sorts of interesting characters, including Brian himself who has some great stories to tell, but will be just as interested to hear your tales too. I could have whiled away the evening quite happily just putting the world to rights at the bar, but at the time I was visiting, there was also some excellent home spun cinematic entertainment (which may or may not still be available), so that was a real bonus.

There are a handful bars and restaurants that I have encountered on my various travels that I will always smile and remember with genuine fondness, Don Brioni’s in Lilongwe is one of them.

Reviewed July 4, 2013

I really was there in 2011 but this forum did not give me that option. Great place to eat. Service is very laid back Malawian...

Reviewed June 20, 2013

Had a great steak and the wine was cheap. Service a bit hit and miss but not unusual in Malawi. Obviously a meeting place for ex-pats