“Short stay but good”
Review of Mabuya Camp

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Lilongwe
Mabuya Camp
Reviewed July 24, 2013

I only stayed one night in Mabuya and really just slept there due to bus issues but Tom was great. I had to call him to say it would be past mid night before we got there and he organised everything for us. The night watchman showed us to one of their tents, which was super comfy,and we slept soundly for the night. I want to go back again to experience it properly

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled solo

Reviewed July 11, 2013

We stayed here for several one night stopovers as we passed through Lilongwe and I have to say, the only reason we went back after our first stay was because there was nowhere else as cheap and we were on atight budget. But for $10 a niht we expected better. The mosquito nets were covered in holes such that they were no good at all and the bunk beds in the dorms were rickety to say the least. My friend also found a used condom wrapper in her mosquito net... Bathrooms for the dorms were outside and you had beware of the mosquitoes but were otherwise ok. Food was ok but relatively expensive compared with other places we stayed. All in all, ok for a cheap one night stay but if you can afford elsewhere I would recommend you do.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed June 29, 2013

We stayed here on two separate occasions for one night each. Slept in the 4 bed dorm. rooms were basic and comfy. Showers were often cold, (this seemed to depend on what time of day you went -if you went in the afternoon they were good!) but if you went to the showers inside the main building where the reception was, they were normally always warm. The 2 bedroom chalets were also cosy and good value. restaurant was basic, we only had breakfasts there and they were always nice. Staff friendly and we were allowed to leave a pack there which we were not using whilst we travelled around. Gateman always happy. Nice looking pool although we never used it. Overall, I would return.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed June 20, 2013

Nice spot and close to centre of Lilongwe.
Twin rooms are much better than the dorms
+++++ Mosquitos and very old mosquito nets
Quite loud, dirty bathrooms but very nice swimming pool
Overpriced breakfast and average tasting

Room Tip: Ok by Malawian standards but very overpriced considering
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed June 1, 2013

Rooms are basic but ok. Helpful staff. In my opinion for a single guest (single room) rooms are a bit pricey. The kitchen closes at 6:30 pm which is too early!! Location is ok, around 15 minutes walking to town.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed May 20, 2013

if you happen to venture out to the beautiful country that is Malawi and find yourself in one of my favourite cities in the world - Lilongwe, you would be a silly muffin not to stay at the most spectacular fun loving happy backpackers in the world - MABUYA CAMP!

Tom and Janey are absolutely awesome, you will feel right at home here, they will be sure to help you out with anything you need and give you the best advice for travelling around the country and the rest of Africa (they have travelled Africa themselves in the most amazing yellow truck ever).

Make sure you try the malawi beans and rice with some nali sauce for dinner (my favourite and its vegetarian for all you non meat lovers), the chefs are amazing! and have a boogie at the bar with a bottle of green while you play some pool and listen to travelers stories from all over the world.

A true backpackers where I had one of the most amazing experiences of my life.

Love you Mabuya, always in my memories and my heart <3 xx

Room Tip: Camping is really good if you take one of their tents - its got the COMFIEST mattresses ever in the...
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank LHB13
Reviewed May 3, 2013

I travelled to Malawi on my own and enjoyed meeting people here and there but it wasn't until i got to Mabuya till i realised how much of the experience was the people you meet. The atmosphere at the camp is amazing, everyones so laid-back and welcoming that it's hard to describe it anything other than a home-from-home. The owners Tom and Janey will literally answer any questions you throw at them and suggest/advise you on the best options for activities/travel/food/shopping or for me where to get my hair done and get a bloody manicure! Its a short distance to the market and shops and a short taxi away from a crazy TIA night out. Before i got to Mabuya i was feeling a bit lonely and fed up of how much i was doing on my own but the people i met here completely changed that and i can definitely say it was the hardest place i had to leave in Malawi. I'd say this site is perfect if you're looking to socialise, meet friends for life and be enlightened by other peoples stories and adventures. If you're stuck in a rut where to go next, you'll get the best advice from the people who have done it all themselves! If there's one thing that will make you go back to Malawi it's Mabuya, i can talk from experience, my flights are booked to go back this summer...

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled solo