“Average place to stay”
Review of Mabuya Camp

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Lilongwe
Mabuya Camp
Reviewed June 20, 2013

Nice spot and close to centre of Lilongwe.
Twin rooms are much better than the dorms
+++++ Mosquitos and very old mosquito nets
Quite loud, dirty bathrooms but very nice swimming pool
Overpriced breakfast and average tasting

Room Tip: Ok by Malawian standards but very overpriced considering
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
There are newer reviews for Mabuya Camp

Reviewed June 1, 2013

Rooms are basic but ok. Helpful staff. In my opinion for a single guest (single room) rooms are a bit pricey. The kitchen closes at 6:30 pm which is too early!! Location is ok, around 15 minutes walking to town.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed May 20, 2013

if you happen to venture out to the beautiful country that is Malawi and find yourself in one of my favourite cities in the world - Lilongwe, you would be a silly muffin not to stay at the most spectacular fun loving happy backpackers in the world - MABUYA CAMP!

Tom and Janey are absolutely awesome, you will feel right at home here, they will be sure to help you out with anything you need and give you the best advice for travelling around the country and the rest of Africa (they have travelled Africa themselves in the most amazing yellow truck ever).

Make sure you try the malawi beans and rice with some nali sauce for dinner (my favourite and its vegetarian for all you non meat lovers), the chefs are amazing! and have a boogie at the bar with a bottle of green while you play some pool and listen to travelers stories from all over the world.

A true backpackers where I had one of the most amazing experiences of my life.

Love you Mabuya, always in my memories and my heart <3 xx

Room Tip: Camping is really good if you take one of their tents - its got the COMFIEST mattresses ever in the...
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank LHB13
Reviewed May 3, 2013

I travelled to Malawi on my own and enjoyed meeting people here and there but it wasn't until i got to Mabuya till i realised how much of the experience was the people you meet. The atmosphere at the camp is amazing, everyones so laid-back and welcoming that it's hard to describe it anything other than a home-from-home. The owners Tom and Janey will literally answer any questions you throw at them and suggest/advise you on the best options for activities/travel/food/shopping or for me where to get my hair done and get a bloody manicure! Its a short distance to the market and shops and a short taxi away from a crazy TIA night out. Before i got to Mabuya i was feeling a bit lonely and fed up of how much i was doing on my own but the people i met here completely changed that and i can definitely say it was the hardest place i had to leave in Malawi. I'd say this site is perfect if you're looking to socialise, meet friends for life and be enlightened by other peoples stories and adventures. If you're stuck in a rut where to go next, you'll get the best advice from the people who have done it all themselves! If there's one thing that will make you go back to Malawi it's Mabuya, i can talk from experience, my flights are booked to go back this summer...

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank caseypaigeee
Reviewed May 3, 2013

Mabuya Camp is no doubt the best backpackers in Lilongwe. Busy, but with a strong core of the long-stayers using it as their base in Malawi. For meeting new friends or travel partners then the Mabuya Bar will be your first stop, with it's up to date and incredibly varied music selection. The bartenders will welcome you and give you any help or advice you need about the country - but don't worry if what you ask you is above their expertise because the owners Tom and Janey (who are a human Wikipedia on Africa) will give you an answer.

In the day time you can walk (or taxi, or grab a ride on the back of a locals bike - a cheap, fun journey) into the town centre only a mile away. Banks, supermarkets, cafes, immigration, money trading is all found here. Back at Mabuya why not go in the lovely pool, use their WI-FI and knowledgeable staff to plan your next journey, play some pool or chess or the Malawian 'bawo', grab some food from their value for money kitchen - run by kind chefs who make the best full English away from England...

At night go to the nationwide famous Mabuya Bar. Great music, great people, a good drinks selection and a lovely atmosphere. If it's one of Mabuya's famous parties that night then you're in for a treat. I saw people postpone their travels for a day or two just to be at one of these. There's always a taxi on site to take you out to one of the local bars or clubs. Malawi is one of the safest countries in the world and you will feel it, especially in Mabuya which is guarded day and night.

There's an on-site mechanic, knowledgeable staff, good food, good toilets and showers (which were the warmest of all the places I've been to in Malawi), a great bar, a pool, good rooms and it's close enough to town but also just enough away to make it more tranquil than any place in the city. Malawi is a third-world country - water shortages, fuel shortages, electricity cuts are all part of life in Malawi and Mabuya Camp is one of the top camps in the country for actually tackling these problems when they arise.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed May 2, 2013

Spent 1 month in Malawi and honestly this place made my trip!

Only good memories of this place and if I ever go back I know where i'll be staying!

The food was servied every morning...service was excellent since there were a large group of us each morning.

The bar was always waiting for us after works and a friendly chat with the staff...the owners are brilliant, very helpful and friendly really made us feel welcome.
They organized many events that got the whole camp involved which is great if you want to meet other people who are travelling.
Very relaxed atmosphere with nice surroundings...wifi, camp fire, beers, people..what else do you want? Tom & Janey have done an amazing job and hopefully see you soon!

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank cmgu072
Reviewed May 2, 2013

I travelled and worked in Malawi for 3 month is 2011. This began with friends and I soon became a solo traveller. I had travelled Malawi before, but this was the first time I was on my own for so long. If it hadn't been for Mabuya Camp I probably would have left earlier and went home. But this was an amazing place to stay. The owners are the most welcoming and friendly couple that one would ever hope to meet. They have been all over Africa so they told me the best places to visit and how to get there. I used Mabuya as a home base whenever I was travelling. There was times throughout my travels that all I wanted to do was go home to Mabuya. All the staff are so welcoming, helpful and kind. There were riots on while I stayed in Malawi (don't let this turn you off visiting as it is the most beautiful country I have ever visited and I never felt anyway in danger). There were always great guards on the premises who would go out of their way to may sure that you were ok. At all times I felt safe and at home.

Mabuya is also a great place to meet other travellers. While here I met so many great people and it is a perfect place to find travel buddies for those adventures you don't feel like going on alone. Mabuya Camp is perfectly located - It is situated in the Old Town of Malawi's capital city, Lilonge in Area 3. Its not in the middle of the hustle and bustle of city life, so it is a nice place with a relaxing pool where you can get away from all that if you wish. Yet, it is well within walking distance of essentials such as banks, supermarkets etc... There were always lovely safe taxi men at the ready if you weren't up for a short stroll, or if you wanted to go out at night etc.. for go reasonable prices. It is also not too far from the airport or bus depot for onward travel if necessary. If you were travelling with a group and needed to hire out buses etc.. the owners are more than willing to assist you on this - both very approachable, as are all the staff!! All you have to do is ask!

I stayed in a dorm bed, tent and in one of the chalets, depending on the amount of money I had to spend at the time as I was a poor student travelling. I was surprised at how nice and affordable they were. One of the friends I had been travelling with got sick unfortunately while we were travelling Zambia. Obviously being sick away from home is a horrible thing to happen, but the owners were so caring and wonderful making sure she had enough blankets when she came out of hospital, advised her on what medication to take, and even gave me books from their book swap to bring in to her in hospital to keep her occupied. They always went above and beyond their job to ensure guests are well catered for. One of my favourite aspects of Mabuya was their showers and toilet facilities. While travelling I encountered some very dodge places - cold showers, grotty toilets (chimbuzi kumba - hole in the ground toilets), no running water etc... - Mabuya was none of these, I always looked forward to coming home to a nice and hot shower and clean toilets.

The food here is awesome, really big portions and again nice and cheap. Best breakfasts I ever had in Malawi - French Toast was unbelievable. Chefs were lovely and I'm a VERY picky eater but they always went out of their way to make it just how I liked it. Choice of dinners were always good particularly liked the bean stew. The camp has a pool too which is great! Bar is always full and great banter to be had if your up for a good chat can meet people from all over the world or just have a chat with the amazing bar people (best bar staff I've ever met). Always great to chill after a days work. Internet there too, great board games (famous Malawian bawo), book swap and even some pool tables if you're in the mood.

This really is the best place to go if you are travelling on a budget, and even if you're not! I cannot recommend it enough, I had the most amazing time here and will definitely be going back in the future!!!! The most welcoming and lovely staff! Definitely worth the visit - will not disappoint!!!!

Room Tip: Explain what you're looking for out of your trip to Tom and Janey and they'll give you the b...
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled solo