“Everything you could need on one site!”
Review of Mabuya Camp

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Lilongwe
Mabuya Camp
Norwich
“Everything you could need on one site!”
Reviewed September 5, 2012

I stayed in one of the A-Frame huts next to the swimming pool. I found it to be clean and spacious and as I was right next to the pool, only a short walk when I wanted to cool off. I spent most of my time relaxing by the pool and reading, I also found the wi-fi internet extremely quick and I could borrow a laptop (at no extra cost) from behind the bar.
I ate all my meals here and found them to be tasty and good value, and without the food poisoning one of my fellow travellers experienced from a local restaurant. The burgers were ace incidentally!
I think overall this is a great place and would definitely stay again. Yes it's a bit shabby in places but overall I found the experience very enjoyable.

Room Tip: Choose a room by the pool for the best experience.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank Duncan M

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
Newcastle
Reviewed August 24, 2012

Lively backpackers with always something going on, good facilities including restaurant, swimming pool and 3 different shower blocks. Stayed in a dorm the first few nights which was very cramped but adequate with nets and lockers. Also stayed in a chalet for a week or so which had a lot more space but no lockers which was a negative, although there was the option to leave your stuff behind the bar which had a secure area.

Advice: Bring duct tape to patch up holes in the mosquito nets and if you want a cheap meal head down the road to Welcome Lodge which food is a lot cheaper than Mabuya.

Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Mazarron, Spain
Reviewed August 20, 2012

We stayed here travelling from Lake Malawi to the border with Zambia. Wished we chose another place as it was so noisy at night. O.K. its a backpackers but the noise was until two in the morning then again at 4 o'clock! Campsite was basic and ablutuons not very good. Its a busy place but the management need to improve the facilities.

Room Tip: Noisy place so try to camp as far from the bar as pos.
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
Bristol
Reviewed June 26, 2012

This was the most disappointing awful backpackers place I stayed in whilst traveling in Malawi. Spent 2 nights in the dorm at the end of my trip and was expecting a much much better experience for the price (most I paid for a dorm bed in Malawi). The dorm is situated just a few metres down corridor from bar, which means you can hear all the activity going on there, so if you want a good nights sleep don't chose this place. At 3am I had to get out of bed and go to bar to ask the remaining people to be quiet as our whole dorm had not had any sleep yet! In the morning after complaining, I received a flippant apology from management who explained that it was someones leaving party, as if that was perfectly acceptable reason for us only getting 3 hours sleep.

BAD POINTS: Dorm had 8 beds,mixed sex, no working plug socket, mattresses really thin and uncomfortable. The bathrooms were not very clean and 2 out of 3 showers I had were cold. Unless you manage to get timing right when boiler is full of hot water you end up with a cold shower. The only indoors communal area is the bar, which is pretty small and was full of people smoking. The restaurant is semi-outdoors so pretty chilly in Winter season. Food was really expensive - I had rice and beans (at least twice as expensive than anywhere else I'd eaten) and was cold and tasteless. Swimming pool was not appealing at all, very murky. The whole place looks worn and in need of a lick of paint.

GOOD POINTS: Some of the staff were friendly. The burgers looked really tasty. Good book exchange. Easy walking route into town, about 20 minutes.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
Reviewed June 6, 2012

Had a great time here. They even kept our bags for 3 weeks when we went to Zambia. Fun, lively bar - and there's pretty decent food, too. If you come into Lilongwe from the bus station, you can take the Likuni bus - super easy and quick. Also, there are bike taxis that hang out at the traffic circle by Mabuya Camp, and they will take you into town for very cheap. Recommended!

Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
London
Reviewed May 25, 2012

We camped here for a couple of nights, location is ok, best to get bike taxi or van from the bus station as it isn't in a very central location. Camping facilities were ok as was the bathroom and bar area. Food was fine, nothing too special. It suited us for a day or two but don't get over excited! Swimming pool was murky so we stayed well clear!

Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
Durham, North Carolina, United States
Reviewed May 7, 2012

I spent many many weeks at Mabuya and give it my highest recommendation for backpackers and travelers. The grounds are spacious and include a restaurant, pool, bar, and social area with pool table and other games. Staff and owners are incredibly friendly and try to learn your name and make you feel welcome as soon as you arrive. The bar is a great place to meet other travelers. Though the drinks are expensive by local standards, I found the convenience and company were worth it. Location is decent as well. Lilongwe isn't terribly walking friendly, but you can certainly walk to the central part of town for groceries, etc. safely and within a reasonable amount of time (~20 minutes) from camp. Or, take a bicycle taxi and get there even faster.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled solo