“A truly wonderful experience!”
Review of Cluny Lodge

Cluny Lodge
Ranked #3 of 25 Lilongwe B&B and Inns
Montreal
“A truly wonderful experience!”
Reviewed November 16, 2009

Staying at the lodge helped make my first trip to Africa unforgettable! The grounds of the lodge were nice and very well maintained. The entire staff was friendly and very accomodating. Bev and Marinus were exceptional hosts. They made sure that our every need was addressed, provided us with very helpful tips and suggestions, and went well above and beyond their roles of innkeepers. They definetely made our two week stay memorable! My colleague and I were tucked away in our own private corner, complete with kitchen and outdoor patio. After tasting one evening meal, we were hooked! Everything was delicious and it was good home cooking! Requests for meals were well received, especially for the "caramel pudding"!! The full breakfast was also a treat. If I ever visit Africa again, I will definetely stay at the lodge!! I highly recommend it; you will not be disappointed!

• Stayed August 2009, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
Montreal, Quebec
Reviewed September 29, 2009

Marinus and Bev will treat you like family. Marinus spent a whole day tracking down a computer cord for me and wouldn't accept a cent for his time. They take great pride in their guest house and they make every effort to accommodate your wishes. Bev and Alex are great cooks. I enjoyed a full breakfast each morning and looked forward to the evening meal and the wonderful conversations with an array of fascinating guests. If you are lucky you might get to taste Bev's banana custard pie! I stayed in the annex with my colleague and it was comfortable and private and perfect for our 2 week stay.
This is a safe, clean, fabulous place to stay. I hope to again soon!

St Paul
Reviewed September 10, 2009

I was booked in here for work and expexted just another lodge. Was I suprised. To find a 5 Star lodge tucked away on a back street close to Old Town was a pleasure. While I understand a different meaning of 5 star, if you have ever traveled in Sub-Sararan Africa you will know what I mean. Absoulutely Fantastic. On my next trip to Lilongwe there is no doubt where I will stay. The owner, Marinus and his wife are the perfect example,plus, of what Hotel and Lodge service means. Those two will do anything in their power to make your stay as perfect as can be. I have traeled Africa for years and years and never found anything like this. I have stayed at some pretty shwish joints but they all pale in comparison when you stay the the Cluny. The Cluny Lodge is PERFECT!!

Zomba
Reviewed April 6, 2009

Conveniently proximate to Lilongwe city centre yet blessedly ensconced in a quiet area, Cluny Lodge is a sublime haven where you may plan to spend a night yet wind up lingering for days. The always helpful hosts Bev and Marinus Taale will make your stay seem like a home away from home.
When you return to your room, you’ll find it bright and airy, sparkling clean and with tasteful African art. It’s all about tranquility here and warm, gracious hospitality.
Thanks for your hospitality, your warm personality, local knowledge and all your personal suggestions.

- Jan

• Stayed January 2009, traveled on business
UK
Reviewed October 27, 2008

We stayed two nights with Bev and Marinus, your fabulous hosts at Cluny Lodge.

The accommodation itself is of a good standard for this type of property. Not outstanding, but certainly clean and perfectly acceptable. If you are looking for a 5* business hotel, however, look elsewhere (and good luck in Lilongwe). The pictures on their website are accurate.

Because of the size of the property, dinner choices are limited - but the food is good. Choose between cooked or continental breakfast in the morning.

The outstanding feature of Cluny Lodge is the exceptional service and attention Bev and Marinus provide. A previous review already mentioned that Marinus will happily pick you up from the airport. He provided further transport for us as required whenever his schedule allowed. On top of that, any advice we needed was given, even if it meant Marinus had to make his own enquiries first. As a newbie traveller to Africa, this really was invaluable to me and it saved me a lot of time and hassle.

All the staff there were very friendly and service was definitely with a smile.

There are cheaper places to stay in Lilongwe, but as far as I am concerned you can't beat Cluny Lodge. I may well be going to Lilongwe again and I know where I'll be staying.

• Liked — Service way beyond the call of duty!
  • Disliked — Noise from the next room's air-con when we weren't using ours at night
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled with family
Maputo
Reviewed October 23, 2008

We were in Lilongwe on work travel, and were looking for a place where one of us could comfortably take care of a small baby while the other worked.

We took a chance on Cluny, and it was most definitely the right choice! Bev and Marinus went out of their way to help us at every opportunity. Their management was outstanding---always available when needed, but never intrusive. The staff was very friendly and excellent as well.

The rooms are spotless, nicely decorated and spacious; mosquito nets and window screens are in good shape; and the AC worked well. (We can't say the same for many other hotels in Malawi, some similarly priced.)

A great breakfast is included. We also ate dinner at the Lodge; though a little on the pricey side for Malawian standards, it was very good home-cooked food. The honor bar system, with a good choice of drinks, works very well. Water, coffee and tea were free, and always available.

We will definitely be back, and highly recommend this lodge to anyone staying in Lilongwe.

• Liked — Service
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled on business
Florida
Reviewed September 30, 2008

The owners, Bev and Marinus, make you feel at home from the moment they pick you up at the airport. We loved the house and our lovely room. All the rooms are very nicely appointed, clean, and quiet. One hears the sounds of nature at night and not the noise of the city. There is always a pot of fresh coffee awaiting the tired traveler, as well as other refreshments. The gardens are very nice, and the staff always have a smile for you. We enjoyed it very much, and are looking forward to going there again next year.

• Liked — Location, rooms, staff, gardens, quiet
  • Disliked — Nothing to complain about
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled as a couple