“Highly recommended accommodation”
Review of Cluny Lodge

Cluny Lodge
Ranked #2 of 25 Lilongwe B&B and Inns
Reviewed March 14, 2014

I would highly recommend Cluny to any traveller or consultant. I stayed at Cluny Lodge for the first month of my move to Malawi from the UK to work at Kamuzu Central Hospital.
I chose Cluny mainly because of their website and the fact that Bev and Marinus the owners introduced themselves on the website. I was coming to Malawi as a lone female and did not want to stay in a faceless hotel. I was not disappointed and Bev and Marinus take personal care of their guests and have every wish catered for. They were also really helpful in advising on local life and amenities.
The accommodation is lovely, personalised and also very clean and fresh, having just been repainted. There are great mosquito nets on the beds but also nets on the windows. They have good security and friendly guards, back-up systems for both electricity and water. Filter coffee, cold water and biscuits are ever available in reception and there is a loyalty bar with cold bottled drinks (e.g. cola and beer) in a fridge. The rooms also have coffee/tea making facilities but I always took the good filter coffee from reception. The internet is as reliable as you can get in Malawi and reception sells access cards. Breakfasts are like having a mix of continental and cooked English breakfasts at once and the standard of ingredients is excellent. Lunch or dinner can be provided on request for an additional fee and again the cooking is very good. There is plentiful hot water meaning a welcome shower/bath at the end of a busy day!
Cluny is very well located for a visitor to Lilongwe within 10-15 minutes’ walk of both Crossroads and the Old Town Mall (café, restaurants) and also a lovely place just down the hill called the Tranquillity Tea Garden. I also went to see local music/football at the stadium nearby on a Saturday. I used the gym at the Crossroads hotel a couple of times as they have an arrangement with Cluny. Lilongwe is a very spread out city and I found myself the closest to work of my 7 work colleagues and was able to take a couple of minibuses or walk (about an hour).
Cluny Lodge and Bev and Marinus gave me a great welcome and introduction to Malawi and I think other guests will find the same experience. There were a number of returning guests staying throughout the month and that speaks for itself as to the quality of the accommodation.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled on business
2  Thank Sandra S
There are newer reviews for Cluny Lodge

Reviewed March 13, 2014

I had a wonderful stay at the Cluny Lodge. Right from the first email I knew it was going to be a great experience…friendly, prompt responses back.

Upon arrival I was right away introduced to the other guests staying at the lodge. This was really lovely as I was travelling alone…gave the lodge a very welcoming/home-like vibe.

My room was very clean and a pleasant place to stay. Hot showers, excellent dinner and breakfast options were nice too.

But it was the owners and staff that really made the Cluny Lodge special. I have travelled a great deal through Africa on my own and I have never had an experience quite like this in terms of the sincerity and kindness of the people. I only stayed one single night and the experience had an impression on me. I am so delighted I found the Cluny Lodge online…I'd highly recommend it.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled solo
2  Thank Angela d
Reviewed February 27, 2014

I spent few days in Lilongwe for business purposes. The lodge is situated close to Crossroad mall. It's in a very quiet and safe area, where I had also the chance to do some running (but beware of dogs!). The service was excellent, the landlord is always trying to accommodate the needs of his guests. I stayed in a very large room, the bed was very comfortable and there was a good selection of TV channels for the spare time. They serve very good meals, even though I much preferred the dinner compared to the breakfast, which is ok too (probably they could provide a little bit more variety of fruit). There is also a nice dining room, where one can enjoy at any time coffee, tea and biscuits. Internet speed is ok if you need to have normal skype calls or for checking emails. The rooms are clean and the bathroom too. A couple of suggestions for improving this already excellent place: a little fitness center and fixing little details in the rooms (tiles in the toilet were old, the shower column too close to the wall, more hangers in the wardrobe). All in all an enjoyable stay, a good place for business with the feeling of staying at home.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank SilvioD D
Reviewed January 16, 2014

This is all you need when in Lilongwe for a short or long period. Cluny Lodge is two adjacent residential villas in a quiet area of Lilongwe. The rooms are large and comfortable, the wifi works as it should. The owners/managers are very friendly and helpful, and home cooked evening meals are available. The area is quiet, and you are woken up by African birdsong in the morning. Highly recommended for private or business travelers. A few negative observations: There is no swimming pool, and some of the rooms could do with a new coat of paint. But these are minor things, easily outweighed by the friendly environment and the good food!

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Retired_Stockevik
Reviewed December 15, 2013

I have been using Trip Advisor for many years. This is my first review. It has to be shared that the Cluny Lodge is truly a paradise of comfort, serenity, kindness, and care. The owners are incredibly considerate and attentive. The staff are organized to respectfully ensure guests experience a quiet haven during stays. My time in Lilongwe came with a few "hiccups". However, staying at Cluny helped me to get over the bumps and maintain my calm. All in all this is a wonderful place for travelers and I recommend it for anyone--singles, couples, and families!

Room Tip: Be sure to share your preferences while communicating with the owners. They have a knack for making...
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank SCT31twelve
Reviewed November 3, 2013

In July and August 2013 I spent 5 weeks in Malawi and decided for Cluny Lodge to be the place to stay the night after arrival and the two night before leave.

The owners are lovely people who really care for their customers. If you book here, they keep in contact, book your taxi from the airport and provide whatever you need. The taxi from the airport is about 30,-- USD, that is the normal price in Lilongwe. Their food, breakfast and dinner, is very good. Nothing to complain here.

The price for extras is OK, but you pay 2x more for wine and beer than you would in a local supermarkets. Internet is provided through skyband - unfortunately it is volume based and if you come out of the bush after 5 weeks and connect your Macbook to WIFI, the automatic updates will suck your expensive bits within minutes. A flatrate for internet would be better, but this is complaining on a very high level. :-) I would replace the old CRT TVs with fast free and unlimited internet. Who watches TV today? :-) Everything is very clean. The rooms are very nice, but the bathrooms could be renovated. I loved to relax in the big lounge and I met some very descent people here.

My overall experience was GREAT - this place is nicer, cleaner and friendlier than many hotels I've seen so far. I'll be back.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Benjamin D
Reviewed September 16, 2013 via mobile

This is our second time staying at Cluny Lodge, and the service and accommodation is simply excellent. This time my husband and I stayed for an entire month in one of their standard rooms. We didn't have one complaint. Rooms are kept very clean, free t.v. and wifi is available. There is also a work room for consultants or business people to work in quiet or have a meeting. The owners Bev and Marinus are so welcoming and go out of their way to help with any request. The location is excellent, a short walk to Old town yet on one of the quieter streets. Last year we stayed in several areas and find this to be one of the most central and quietest by far. Coming home to Cluny every day actually felt like our home. And the nicest part is that you can mingle with the other guests if you want company. We became great friends with many of them, and would sit on the porch in the evening enjoying a gin and tonic and some laughs, and had many great meals around the dinner table with people from all over the world. It's a much nicer alternative to staying in a hotel room where you are cut off from everyone else. Breakfasts are included and they offer a nice variety of food. If you have an early morning their staff happily comes in early to accommodate. You can have dinner here as well which is handy if you are tired from your day and don't want to venture out. Friday is steak night and it is not to be missed. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend this lodge and plan on saying here again if we are ever back in Lilongwe. It is quite popular so I would suggest to make reservations early.

• Stayed: August 2013