“OK, but pushing it a bit”
Review of Korea Garden Lodge

Korea Garden Lodge
Ranked #10 of 12 Hotels in Lilongwe
London, United Kingdom
“OK, but pushing it a bit”
Reviewed September 26, 2012

It's OK. Just. Everything is just under par, but not awful or unbearable - although the nicest part is the very pleasant bar and restaurant area by the pool, which is really a nice place to hang out and relax of an afternoon or evening (even though the food is poor and the pool a bit too dirty to be tempting). It's also fairly well-located, within walking distance of various restaurants and close to government and donor offices. I stayed in an executive room - the "top" bracket (but "executive" is over-stating it a bit by any normal standards!), at about US$63 - not too bad a price for Lilongwe. The rooms are a decent size, and not uncomfortable. But shabby, old, more than a bit dingy, and dogged by non-working appliances (e.g. lights, fan, fridge, sometimes hot water sometimes not, etc). There is free wi-fi, at least in principle, but as I have never found it working, I can't really comment. The restaurant serves just-about edible food (chewy meat, tepid meals) - big portions, but extremely over-priced and nothing to write home about. The Korean menu is a better option - but still not fantastic. After a couple of days of eating in you are ready to go out. Breakfast is adequate but nothing more, although frequently runs out of basics (coffee, milk) which take quite a bit of asking before they are replenished. Service is OK - not over-friendly but polite enough, and a little too keen to ensure that all is paid in advance, and in foreign currency. So - I would go there again if pushed, but it wouldn't be my first choice.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Paris
Reviewed August 7, 2012

Not very clean and really really expensive for what you have in Malawi.
The restaurant is not bad but also so expensive for what you have in your plate. I still have hungry after eating my main plate.
At first there were no hot water in our room so I ask at the front to do something because 66 USD for that (in Lilongwe you can have hot water and a double room for 20 USD). But they didn't mind and I had to be angry for getting a new room with hot water.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Desroches A

Travelers are raving about these Lilongwe hotels

Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 16, 2012

I spent one night in Korea Garen Lodge after arriving in Lilongwe and before travelling up North. I had a double Gold room and paid $66 for the privilage. They arrange a taxi to pick you up at the airport (which is great if you don't know Malawi!) but I later found out that I was definately charged more than I would have been had I arrange this myself.
On arrival the receptionish insisted that I payed in dollars rather than kwacha, which I thought was odd but no biggie really! The room was basic but clean and the bathroom definately needs updating as it's a little shoddy. In the evening the music and voices from the bar/restaurant area were really very audible from my room which was annoying as I really only was there to get some sleep!
Food in the restaurant was fine, I was alone and the staff were friendly to chat to whilst I was waiting. I appreciated the visiting cat at the table much less!
On a whole, slightly over preiced for what you get. I'm not a fussy traveller but I would never like to try a room below gold standard and when I was travelling back through Lilongwe I chose to stay elsewhere.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
Tete
Reviewed July 10, 2012

The lodge is well located, in a low density residential area. It's quiet at nyt and that was good for me bcz I wanted to sleep.
The staff are very professional and smile all the tym. The water in my room wasn't heating up properply, but the lady at the reception had it fixed asap with a cheerful smile apologized for the inconvenience so I was more than happy to overlook that.
I chose a standard room...a bit overpriced for the state of conservation of the room. Hmmmm.
The garden is beautifully kept...I like their set up of chairs in the restaurant garden. Like they say, variety is the spice of life.
The best part of my stay was breakfast on Sunday morning whn I was preparing to leave...the elderly Korean lady, I assume to be the owner was having breakfast in the restaurant, and happily chatted away with staff and guests alike and it was like one big happy family. I hope she treats her staff like that always!
I would go back there again, but will choose a more expensive and luxurious room for comfort.

• Stayed August 2011
Edinburgh
Reviewed July 9, 2012

booked for a business trip and while Executive room was large and beds comfortable, I ended up having to buy access to wifi as the hotel's system was 'down'.

Initial impression of the room was that it was in a bit of a state (chipped toilet seat and holed pillowcases) but it was sufficient for my needs, although why provide a kettle with no cups?

It did get very cool during the day (so much so that I took my laptop down to the poolside to work to warm up) and was chilly at night. Also my room (E7) had the 'smokers' tree outside it so the room got fumigated if people were gathered around it.

The restaurant food was good although I found the portions too big. Breakfast was good starting at 6am. Staff on the whole were friendly.

Room Tip: E7 got the sun first thing then cooled down the rest of the day. Other side of the hedge from the g...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
Dallas
Reviewed May 31, 2012

My sense is that must be a lot of variation between the several levels of accommodation at KGL. Or they are under new management since the reviews posted last fall.

We stayed in Gold level doubles (2nd tier, I think), only because the Silver's were all booked. We paid the most here of any hotel in Malawi: $65 USD for a double. But that included a very substantial breakfast for two, so not too bad.

The rooms were spacious, clean, quiet, and ensuite. The hot water worked (!) and the water pressure was excellent. The wi-fi was spotty, but internet worked on the two lobby computers. The dining area was lovely and the pool looked quite clean. We ate lunch and breakfast here and both meals were excellent. Breakfast included custom-made omelets, cereal, fresh fruit and avocados, and seemed to be all-you-can-eat.

Overall, we were very pleased with our stay and would go back.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
Kralendijk, Bonaire
Reviewed May 28, 2012

Were there again, had no choice. Still not a good attitude at the front office! Not interested... Now we had the gold room (normally the executive) but not worth the price! Had to ask for second towel, poor furniture, small and not a clean bathroom.
Breakfast: Kind personal but had to ask for plates (were finished), mugs (finished), juice.....
Next time I will really go somewhere else.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends