“Don't go there!” 1 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #10 of 12 Hotels in Lilongwe
Paris
“Don't go there!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 7, 2012

Not very clean and really really expensive for what you have in Malawi.
The restaurant is not bad but also so expensive for what you have in your plate. I still have hungry after eating my main plate.
At first there were no hot water in our room so I ask at the front to do something because 66 USD for that (in Lilongwe you can have hot water and a double room for 20 USD). But they didn't mind and I had to be angry for getting a new room with hot water.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Desroches A

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 16, 2012

I spent one night in Korea Garen Lodge after arriving in Lilongwe and before travelling up North. I had a double Gold room and paid $66 for the privilage. They arrange a taxi to pick you up at the airport (which is great if you don't know Malawi!) but I later found out that I was definately charged more than I would have been had I arrange this myself.
On arrival the receptionish insisted that I payed in dollars rather than kwacha, which I thought was odd but no biggie really! The room was basic but clean and the bathroom definately needs updating as it's a little shoddy. In the evening the music and voices from the bar/restaurant area were really very audible from my room which was annoying as I really only was there to get some sleep!
Food in the restaurant was fine, I was alone and the staff were friendly to chat to whilst I was waiting. I appreciated the visiting cat at the table much less!
On a whole, slightly over preiced for what you get. I'm not a fussy traveller but I would never like to try a room below gold standard and when I was travelling back through Lilongwe I chose to stay elsewhere.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
Tete
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 10, 2012

The lodge is well located, in a low density residential area. It's quiet at nyt and that was good for me bcz I wanted to sleep.
The staff are very professional and smile all the tym. The water in my room wasn't heating up properply, but the lady at the reception had it fixed asap with a cheerful smile apologized for the inconvenience so I was more than happy to overlook that.
I chose a standard room...a bit overpriced for the state of conservation of the room. Hmmmm.
The garden is beautifully kept...I like their set up of chairs in the restaurant garden. Like they say, variety is the spice of life.
The best part of my stay was breakfast on Sunday morning whn I was preparing to leave...the elderly Korean lady, I assume to be the owner was having breakfast in the restaurant, and happily chatted away with staff and guests alike and it was like one big happy family. I hope she treats her staff like that always!
I would go back there again, but will choose a more expensive and luxurious room for comfort.

• Stayed August 2011
Edinburgh
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 9, 2012

booked for a business trip and while Executive room was large and beds comfortable, I ended up having to buy access to wifi as the hotel's system was 'down'.

Initial impression of the room was that it was in a bit of a state (chipped toilet seat and holed pillowcases) but it was sufficient for my needs, although why provide a kettle with no cups?

It did get very cool during the day (so much so that I took my laptop down to the poolside to work to warm up) and was chilly at night. Also my room (E7) had the 'smokers' tree outside it so the room got fumigated if people were gathered around it.

The restaurant food was good although I found the portions too big. Breakfast was good starting at 6am. Staff on the whole were friendly.

Room Tip: E7 got the sun first thing then cooled down the rest of the day. Other side of the hedge from the g...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
Dallas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 31, 2012

My sense is that must be a lot of variation between the several levels of accommodation at KGL. Or they are under new management since the reviews posted last fall.

We stayed in Gold level doubles (2nd tier, I think), only because the Silver's were all booked. We paid the most here of any hotel in Malawi: $65 USD for a double. But that included a very substantial breakfast for two, so not too bad.

The rooms were spacious, clean, quiet, and ensuite. The hot water worked (!) and the water pressure was excellent. The wi-fi was spotty, but internet worked on the two lobby computers. The dining area was lovely and the pool looked quite clean. We ate lunch and breakfast here and both meals were excellent. Breakfast included custom-made omelets, cereal, fresh fruit and avocados, and seemed to be all-you-can-eat.

Overall, we were very pleased with our stay and would go back.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
Kralendijk, Bonaire
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 28, 2012

Were there again, had no choice. Still not a good attitude at the front office! Not interested... Now we had the gold room (normally the executive) but not worth the price! Had to ask for second towel, poor furniture, small and not a clean bathroom.
Breakfast: Kind personal but had to ask for plates (were finished), mugs (finished), juice.....
Next time I will really go somewhere else.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
    • 3 of 5 bubbles

Travelers are raving about these Lilongwe hotels

Boca Raton
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 24, 2012

We chose Korea Garden because of the included breakfast buffet and wifi/internet. The wifi was never working while we were there, but they have 2 computers to use free of charge. Having backpacked around the world, Africa is the only continent where we've had to pay for internet at hotels/hostels so this is a big plus. The breakfast is good too- eggs, juice, potatoes, fruit, toast, cereal, coffee, tea, and even some Korean food. The restaurant is not cheap but it's not expensive either and very good.

The budget rooms are somewhat dungeon like but they are cool and come with a fan and nets. There is also a sink for laundry. The plus side is you are paying $30/night but you have access to a nice pool, lounge, and restaurant which you wouldn't have at a hostel.

Can't speak for the other rooms, so I can recommend for backpackers looking for a break from the hostel circuit, and you can't beat the free breakfast buffet & internet!

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple