Althought it seems beloved by reviewers, I don't really understand the raves. The complex is tucked into a hillside below the Presidential Palace in Tana, and consists of a number of small, adjacent buildings with rooms that vary significantly. I stayed there twice in October 2011. The first room was in the "main" building above the restaurant. The carpeting was somewhat worn, the bathroom lacked privacy as it was enclosed in half-walls only, and some of the windows overlooked a balcony that served as a storage depot for an assortment of unsightly junk. The room had a useful range of ammenitites...small safe, stocked refrigerator, TV, mosquito nets on beds, etc. But overall the feeling was dark and somewhat dingy. My second stay was in an adjacent building (just to the right, if facing the main entrance), and the room had large bathroom and half bath, laminate wood floors (cleaner feeling than carpet), a sitting room, and a nice view across back gardens to a nearby hillside.
Service was "ok"...if somewhat cold and anonymous. This extended to the restaurant, where the food quality is high, but the maitre d' is unwelcoming and the overall service oddly distant. The decor is an amusing mix of old telephones, adding machines and other peculiar ephemera displayed against warm yellow walls. Patrons seem to be a mix of both tourists and locals, which was a nice change from the typical tourist locations.
Really--the only reason to stay here is the restaurant...otherwise, the rooms are ordinary. Oh, and walk up the hill to the Colbert Patisserie for a great breakfast of delicious pastries.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Charming guest house in the center of an upscale neighborhood of the capital. Fruit of the marriage of Madagascar and colonial style architecture, this house offers the proximity of the commercial district Antaninarenina.La Veranda is Ambohitsirohitra next to the office of the presidence.Le The Veranda restaurant overlooks a lovely garden. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Priceline and Agoda so you can book your La Varangue reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- La Varangue Antananarivo
- La Varangue Hotel Antananarivo
- La Varangue Madagascar/Antananarivo