“Excellent food - well worth a visit”
Review of La Varangue

La Varangue
Ranked #1 of 205 Restaurants in Antananarivo
Cuisines: Delicatessen, Wine Bar
Good for: Special occasions, Business meetings, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Description: In a cozy atmosphere "" The Restaurant "La Varangue" is open from breakfast to dinner to enjoy in a unique kitchen "World flavors and fragrance of our island" concocted by the chef.
Reviewed April 14, 2014

I visited La Varangue twice on my visit to Madagascar in Aprl. Both times were excellent.

In all former French colonies, they seem to have found a way to blend classical French techniques with local foods and ingredients. La Varangue in Tana is no exception. The food was delicious, excellently prepared, and the menu has a reasonable variety. The Zebu (a local beef) was superb and the carpaccio of captain fish was an excellent starter. For dessert, the Chocolate Exlplosion was well … nuff said !!

The service was good and helpful. The menus are entirely in French, but on both my visits there were waiters who patiently explained each menu item and ingredients to me in English. They service was also attentive When I ended up with more chocolate than ice-cream as I ate my dessert, they voluntarily came forward and offered me another scoop of ice-cream (no charge too).

On both visits, I spent about $40 for a starter, main course, dessert, and glass of wine. The restaurant can be considered expensive, and is certainly so by local Malagasy standards. That being said, I really doubt you will get quality French (Malagasy blend) food in a fine-dining restaurant in Europe, US, or Asia for $40 bucks. But certainly, by local standards it is expensive relative to other options. To each their own decision. I found it an excellent value for the quality. Either way, I can't fault the restaurant - it was superb and I'd go back should I have a chance.

Tips: There are tables inside and outside in a little courtyard. I ate indoors, and suggest reservations either way. Don't miss trying the Zebu ! Enjoy.

Reviewed April 13, 2014

This is a beautifully decorated restaurant. There are beautiful antiques and artifacts everywhere. The service was excellent. The food was good. No English menus and the staff's knowledge of English is poor, making ordering your meal an adventure.

Reviewed April 6, 2014 via mobile

Very good fish good, medium service service considering the cost, superbe location but vine very, very expensive without any reason considering the real cost of the vine here in Tana'.

Reviewed March 28, 2014

This restaurant would get 5 stars but i found the starter, the goat cheese a bit strong for me but that was down to my choice. The main was fantastic, the tuna, cooked perfectly and my colleague had the Zebu steak again cooked perfectly with a lovely assortment of vegtables.
The surroundings whilst quirly i felt added to the ambience of the place to the extend that it made the place interesting to the extent that the driver had to wait a bit at the end as I wondered around taking the place in. it is far removed from what you would expect having been stuck in a traffic jam for the best part of an hour returning from work.
the staff were brilliant and really welcoming. What more can you say, previous colleagues have bene to Tana before me and t=have warned me about the quality if the food availible. ithink they should look again. So far 2 nihts in the city and 2 excellent meals.

Reviewed March 5, 2014

The décor is quirky, and I loved it. Old telephones, playing cards stuck on the ceiling, old photographs etc. Half of the conversation around the table was based on something we saw in the room. The rest of the conversation was taken up discussing the food. Really tasty, French inspired. Loved it. Menus all in French, so we had to ask for an interpreter, but well worth it. Cannot comment on the prices, as I didn't pay. But well worth a visit.

1  Thank Mark R