“Could be in France!”

Ranked #1 of 200 Restaurants in Antananarivo
Cuisines: Delicatessen, Wine Bar
Good for: Special occasions, Business meetings, Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Description: In a cozy atmosphere "" The Restaurant "La Varangue" is open from breakfast to dinner to enjoy in a unique kitchen "World flavors and fragrance of our island" concocted by the chef.
Reviewed November 5, 2013

Small - but high quality - michelin star justified cost. Quaint decor with lots of antiques. A treat night out.

There are newer reviews for La Varangue

Reviewed November 3, 2013

This place is just fantastic! The food is out of this world, after roughing it round Madagascar we were blown away - this food would fit in comfortably at any 5 star swanky joint in London! We were early so we sat in the bar and had a drink before the restaurant opened at 7. Their home brewed rum is smooth as velvet and delicious, and they saw me scratching my leg and so brought us a mosquito coil, very thoughtful. Then we had dinner, I had mussels followed by duck and then the 'chocolate bomb' and my friend had the terrine, the zebu and a trio of lemon. All the food was first class and presented beautifully. The waiters were so attentive, it was a real treat of an evening. 3 courses each with rum and a tip came to around £40 for two so I don't know why everyone complains about the price. Its a fortune in Madagascan terms but nothing compared to European prices, though we didn't have any wine. As a steer, main course were around £8-10 each, very reasonable!

Reviewed October 28, 2013

Well, you do expect exquisite food quality and service at that price. It is a perfect place for a romantic evening, special occasion. Not an everyday meal place. A three-course meal would cost you about $50 per person; drinks would be extra. You can get very expensive wine, or you could try the restaurant's wine which is very moderately priced - 7,000 MGA per glass (French wine selected by the restaurant). The place is packed with antique gas lamps, irons, old microscopes, watches… too many of this for my taste - I counted over 20 same type lamps on just one shelf. The 'Explosion' dessert was really good!!! And the Valiha player, of course...

1  Thank simporta
Reviewed October 26, 2013

Outstanding venue, wall-to-wall antiques, wood floors etc all in a lovely building. The menu is impressive, clearly expensive for Tana (most mains come in at circa 36,000 ariary) but then this is a place for special occasions. We had to wait an hour for our starters to come. what annoyed me was that when we prompted the waiter to food arrived in less than a minute, so Lord alone knows how long it had been sitting in the kitchen...I had the 'floral capitaine' (carpaccio) which was very tasty indeed, followed but the zebu with pepper sauce and a kind of gratin with lardons...really good food. So yes, do come but hound your waiter...ps. they like to put black pepper in everything.

Reviewed October 18, 2013

The food was good, but too fancy for my husband. I like exotic foods, so it was right up my alley. However, he is a meat and potatoes man, and he didn't find anything on the menu to fit his tastes. No problem, the chef came out to our table and took a special request for grilled chicken, potatoes, and a vegetable. How impressive is that? We very much appreciated it. My only complaint was that the fancy food portions were way too small (as they usually are), so I was still hungry after the meal. The only other drawback is that the food was very expensive (but we knew that before we made reservations). Just as an aside, we hung out with Danny Glover and his wife in the reception area for a little while before dinner (they were both very nice). I guess this really is the place where the stars eat when in Tana.